Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Default Re: Sebidee's Complete Guide to Warhammer Unit Modding

Hey,
    below on the right side you see the variantmesh of the warpfire-thrower unit, on the left side you see the rigidmodels of the unit, both are located in the variants_2.pack

If you open up one of the rigid_model files and look for the diffuse you find that it references the warlock_enginer
    which is located in variants_dds2.pack under hu17.

Im not 100% certain that this is correct however this is the best i can do

So I think every unit from the first game has had its health increased. I was wondering what the formula for that was, or if there even was one.

I made myself a mod with some stat tweaks for the first Warhammer and I want to essentially just put the stat changes I made in to the new game. With the larger health pools I'm wondering if there's a pattern to follow, or if I just estimate what the equivalent health number would be.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
    So I think every unit from the first game has had its health increased. I was wondering what the formula for that was, or if there even was one.

I made myself a mod with some stat tweaks for the first Warhammer and I want to essentially just put the stat changes I made in to the new game. With the larger health pools I'm wondering if there's a pattern to follow, or if I just estimate what the equivalent health number would be.
    Well you could try looking at the health values in both games. They probably increased health by a certain percentage or something.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Hmm, my DB knowledge is rusty. Campaign character variants have a variantmeshdefinition, campaign_1.variantmeshdefinition, campaign_2.variantmeshdefinition and so on. The first is the custom battle variantmeshdefinition and the rest are the different variantmeshdefinitions for the campaign, so they are persistent.

Due to animation limitations, I'm looking to make characters that change gear when they get a mount. The only table I'm seeing that does that, kinda, is the unit_variants_tables. However, it doesn't differentiate between campaign_1.variantmeshdefinition, campaign_2.variantmeshdefinition and so on.

What am I missing here ?

waswar's Avatar Libertus

When I attempt to open the DDS files in gimp, I am alerted that they bear an invalid compression. In photoshop(with the Nvidia DDS plugin), they are completely black, excepting a few purple specks. As I have edited textures in the past(not for a recent Total War game, however), I am somwhat at a loss.

Do you have the latest version of the DDS plugin for GIMP?

Matmannen's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by zombieflanders View Post
    Do you have the latest version of the DDS plugin for GIMP?
    Nice! No need for me to use Photoshop for DX10s anymore xD Even though Gimp might have fewer features, it's polygon tool is superior.

I probably was never aware of this or maybe someone already point this out, but: breaking the mask in HxD to prevent the use of the faction colours doesn't work anymore in TWW2. Making the mask.dds all black seems to work.

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Maggioriano View Post
    I probably was never aware of this or maybe someone already point this out, but: breaking the mask in HxD to prevent the use of the faction colours doesn't work anymore in TWW2. Making the mask.dds all black seems to work.
    Thanks for pointing that out, I'll put a note in the tutorial.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Hmm, my DB knowledge is rusty. Campaign character variants have a variantmeshdefinition, campaign_1.variantmeshdefinition, campaign_2.variantmeshdefinition and so on. The first is the custom battle variantmeshdefinition and the rest are the different variantmeshdefinitions for the campaign, so they are persistent.

Due to animation limitations, I'm looking to make characters that change gear when they get a mount. The only table I'm seeing that does that, kinda, is the unit_variants_tables. However, it doesn't differentiate between campaign_1.variantmeshdefinition, campaign_2.variantmeshdefinition and so on.

What am I missing here ?
    Characters in Warhammer can't mount or dismount in the battle map, so you won't have to concern yourself with that . All hero/lord characters are named name_0, the number indicating mounted status. So if if wh_emp_karl_franz_0 is him on foot, as soon as you mount him on a barder horse you are actually using wh_emp_karl_franz_2; all these different variations of the same lord/hero are all assigned different animations.

So your solution is rather simple. If you want lord_on_foot to use a sword, then just a assign the sword animation and if you want lord_on_horse to use a lance, then just assign the lance animation; it's all rather simple. Typically the game uses the same variant for different versions of characters, but it's easy enough to make variants specific to the specific iterations of lords.

So, I know it's not exactly a humblebrag but seriously, I think this is my best work to date. I give you some Sisters of Sigmar, or more specifically Sister Regularis; the rank and file call within the Abbey hierarchy.

Incase somebody is wondering
    Head: Wood elf wardancers
    Torso: High elf Mage & Brettonian Prophetess
    Legs: Wood elf wardancers & Bretonnian Prophetess

Awesome work Matmannen! I especially love the shoulders and the torso! But the shields have some very nice touch too, greenskin shields with custom normalmap for the comet?

Also, how did you find yourself editing the wood elves models? i got a lot of problems with them, they have little space for transparency and the differences between wsmodels and rigidmodels are huge in some of them..

Quote Originally Posted by Maggioriano View Post
    Awesome work Matmannen! I especially love the shoulders and the torso! But the shields have some very nice touch too, greenskin shields with custom normalmap for the comet?

Also, how did you find yourself editing the wood elves models? i got a lot of problems with them, they have little space for transparency and the differences between wsmodels and rigidmodels are huge in some of them..
    I actually didn't manipulate the Alpha's at all. I have seen that CA in it's later DLCs has begun moving towards textures iwth incompatible Alphas. Seeing this, I have begun trying to create without touching the Alphas, thus they won't be a hinderence. When it comes to the wsmodels vs the rigid.models, the only difference I have seen are welcome ones. So for example the glow that Wood-elf sorceresses emit is actually bound to the wsmodel, so if you use the rigid, you won' have to deal with it. Same goes for Chaos weaponry that has a flaming effect to it.

What I am probably most happy about is that the torso's look nothing like High-Elf torsos. I mean, having a unit that just look like some resources elven stitched together doesn't do, but try making it look like original content and we're playing on a whole new playing field.
    Last edited by Matmannen; October 25, 2017 at 04:25 PM.

I have a question about Normal mapping. In this last batch of textures that I made (that took me about 5 days of on-and-off work ) I had to learn how to normal map with gimp. This I used for the Twin-Tailed comet on the shields, the Gothic S on the shields (I don't think an example was published here, but one such example can be found here) and the padded prophetess skits and torsos.

However, I am interesting in learning how I could improve my workflow and the general quality of it. I thought I would publish an example of a complete single image transformation to a collection of usable Diffuse, Gloss-map, Specular, Normal DXT5 and DXT5nm.

Something I would be especially interested in is the settings you use in normal-mapping to get the optimal result for the two different comprimation types.

For diffuse and base I will use this png of Sigmar's Twin-tailed comet:

Gloss-Map
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Specular

Normal DXT5nm

Normal DXT5

Sorry about Gimp being set to another language but English, I come to realize that installing it in any language but English makes it hard in many ways, reading tutorials is probably the biggest challange. The amount of guess work needed is mind-boggling.

Hello everyone, I try to replace the mount of Bretonnia Grail Knight from warhorse to imperial Demigryph.

I had read the tutorial and add proper record to "culture_to_animation_table"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Demigryph-issue-4.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	349095

Then I test it in Custom Battle, everything looks fine

Name:	Demigryph-issue-1.jpg 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	349092

until I move the units:

Name:	Demigryph-issue-2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	349093

I think this is caused by riders are set to bigger mount thus I change the unit's man_animation to 'hu1_empire_bc2_demigryph_lance_sword_shield', and try again.
    No funny movement this time, however something is missed...

Name:	Demigryph-issue-3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	349094

As everyone can see, I'm in a dilemma now. Is there anything I can do to edit animation file?

Quote Originally Posted by crusader_yn View Post
    Hello everyone, I try to replace the mount of Bretonnia Grail Knight from warhorse to imperial Demigryph.

I had read the tutorial and add proper record to "culture_to_animation_table"

Name:	Demigryph-issue-4.jpg 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	349095

Then I test it in Custom Battle, everything looks fine

Name:	Demigryph-issue-1.jpg 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	349092

until I move the units:

Name:	Demigryph-issue-2.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	511.6 KB 
ID:	349093

I think this is caused by riders are set to bigger mount thus I change the unit's man_animation to 'hu1_empire_bc2_demigryph_lance_sword_shield', and try again.
    No funny movement this time, however something is missed...

Name:	Demigryph-issue-3.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	441.3 KB 
ID:	349094

As everyone can see, I'm in a dilemma now. Is there anything I can do to edit animation file?
    Yeah, that is supposed to happen. Mounted animations are specific to the mount and particle effects are also specific to mounts, that is flames and magical glows. However, perhaps you should take a look on the hippogryph animations. I think that the mount skeleton for demigryphs and gryphs is the same, and the flying gryphs to have the ability to move on the ground like demigryphs, so perhaps the mounted animation for hyppogryphs (lord has a flaming sword) can be used for demigryphs aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    Yeah, that is supposed to happen. Mounted animations are specific to the mount and particle effects are also specific to mounts, that is flames and magical glows. However, perhaps you should take a look on the hippogryph animations. I think that the mount skeleton for demigryphs and gryphs is the same, and the flying gryphs to have the ability to move on the ground like demigryphs, so perhaps the mounted animation for hyppogryphs (lord has a flaming sword) can be used for demigryphs aswell.
    Thank you for your reply, I actually assume the same idea. Odd enough, after modified table, it looks even funnier than before....

Name:	Demigryph-issue-5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	349102

Quote Originally Posted by crusader_yn View Post
    Thank you for your reply, I actually assume the same idea. Odd enough, after modified table, it looks even funnier than before....

Name:	Demigryph-issue-5.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	532.7 KB 
ID:	349102
    Atleast we solved that connundrum

Quote Originally Posted by Matmannen View Post
    I actually didn't manipulate the Alpha's at all. I have seen that CA in it's later DLCs has begun moving towards textures iwth incompatible Alphas. Seeing this, I have begun trying to create without touching the Alphas, thus they won't be a hinderence. When it comes to the wsmodels vs the rigid.models, the only difference I have seen are welcome ones. So for example the glow that Wood-elf sorceresses emit is actually bound to the wsmodel, so if you use the rigid, you won' have to deal with it. Same goes for Chaos weaponry that has a flaming effect to it.

What I am probably most happy about is that the torso's look nothing like High-Elf torsos. I mean, having a unit that just look like some resources elven stitched together doesn't do, but try making it look like original content and we're playing on a whole new playing field.
    If i see good, is possible assign emits to custom rigid with a simple trick

Check this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1169901980

Step 1 Make the diffuse original full transparent and add to mod with same name, so it sub original
    Step 2 Create custom diffuse/rigid in normal way
    Step 3, the most important, in variant mest text file, add a new element, you can call it effect o pincopalla ) and assign to this element the normal wsmodel

in this way you have as principal your custom rigid/diffuse, as secondary full trasparent eccept for effect, as secondary and full working

Quote Originally Posted by adclaw View Post
    If i see good, is possible assign emits to custom rigid with a simple trick

Check this mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...?id=1169901980

Step 1 Make the diffuse original full transparent and add to mod with same name, so it sub original
    Step 2 Create custom diffuse/rigid in normal way
    Step 3, the most important, in variant mest text file, add a new element, you can call it effect o pincopalla ) and assign to this element the normal wsmodel

in this way you have as principal your custom rigid/diffuse, as secondary full trasparent eccept for effect, as secondary and full working
    But if you add a new file with a vanilla name, won't that make the mod incompatible with other mods?