Thread: Artillery behind your city walls versus enemy siege towers = GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon6 Artillery behind your city walls versus enemy siege towers = GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Borat gives this an approval rating of great success!

Seriously, though, I had used the bolt-throwing Oxybeles and Scorpion artillery on occasion before, during field battles and some offensive sieges, but mostly the heavier stone-throwing lithobolos and onager for assaults on cities. However, it never really occurred to me the great advantages one could have placing an Oxybeles (or Scorpion if you're the Romans) inside your city while it is besieged by an enemy army. If placed at a reasonable distance and not obstructed by a building of any sort (and also well defended by a couple of your own units to fend against enemies once they get inside your city), enemy siege towers are totally screwed! The best the enemy can hope for is to use their ladders if they brought them, and to use the battering rams, which usually incur a good amount of casualties with boiling oil from city gates coming down onto the heads of those manning the ram and rushing in once the gate is breached. The funnest part, though, is waiting until the siege tower gets right up to the wall, with their soldiers piling in, and only then do you start hitting it with artillery bolts! By the time the enemy soldiers have reached the walls, the siege tower comes crumbling down! Killing well over a half of the unit if not upwards of 90% of soldiers in a single unit.

So awesome! I advise everyone to try it if they have enough money to recruit and maintain some artillery pieces in a defensive fashion, not just on your offensive campaigns.

Anyone else have success with this? And not just any old success: great success. It nice.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Default Re: Artillery behind your city walls versus enemy siege towers = GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

Borat gives this an approval rating of great success!
    Artillery is rather expensive for that purpose. But if Bruno approves, then who am I to judge...
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Default Re: Artillery behind your city walls versus enemy siege towers = GREAT SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!

Videos or much like my fling with Kate Upton, it didn't happen.

I did that with trebuchets in vanilla and some mods, but that's because they have very high launch point. While it can work with lithobolos, you'll risk hitting your own walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I did that with trebuchets in vanilla and some mods, but that's because they have very high launch point. While it can work with lithobolos, you'll risk hitting your own walls.
    That's why it's better to do it with the bolt-throwing artillery, not the heavier stone-throwing ones like the lithobolos. You're absolutely right that it's a greater risk to your own defenses if you use the more dangerous heavier artillery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad View Post
    Videos or much like my fling with Kate Upton, it didn't happen.
    No way I'm making a video of that. With my latest installment of EB II, I can't seem to take screenshots anymore either.