Page 1 of 104 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Donald Trump mentaly \ morally fit for the presidency?

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Is Donald Trump mentaly \ morally fit for the presidency?

Donald Trump did win the elections, soundly, despite the controversies. The American people didn't seem to care enough for those controversies to vote for the other side. There are those that disagree with the election system but it was there when all parties decided to run.

However, is Donald Trump mentally fit to have such a demanding job, without any experience in the public sector? I'm not discussing those controversies that the American people have faced before the elections. Each week of his presidency seems fraught with a different story about something bizarre\unconventional the POTUS did (or said he will do) or a weird meltdown. Some of the stories are indeed blown out of proportion. Some are worth to raise an eyebrow though and some are downright alarming.

The independent seems to think so, as they report "more and more psychologists" sharing the same fears. "Daily news" reports different psychologists coming to the same conclusion.
    Certainly some of his actions, reactions or non-actions seem to suggest he is at least "Temperamentally unfit" as his political opponents claimed to downright insane as some psychologists suggest.

Yet, this is not the only opinion. Despite Trump's increasing unfavorability, there are still millions that not only hope he will deliver, but agree with him, don't believe the stories (or their importance) and enthusiastically support him. A large number of people believe that president Trump is attacked unfairly by his enemies in the press (or his enemies, the press) that blow non-issues out of proportion, twist stories about his meltdowns (or other controversies) out of proportion and are generally malicious against him, preferring him (and with him, the USA) to fail than see him succeed.
    Certain articles in CNN and other media (like this CNN article) seem to cement and validate the opinion that the press wants him to fail. And if the media do want him to fail, and social media do blow things out of proportion (like this in my opinion) why should we believe that their reports about Trump's various meltdowns are true or not overly-exaggerated?
    And there are those that say, not without reason, that Trump is just playing the press using controversy to his benefit. He certainly still gets a lot of free TV time and he has saturated the electorate to his way of acting and behaving, insane or not. And while people look at a weird\insane thing Trump said or did and his supporters defend it and his detractors attack it, he draws attention away from other issues that fall in the background noise.

So, what do you people think? Is Trump a mentally unbalanced narcissist that is unfit for the highest office in the USA? Is he a brilliant strategist that uses controversy to make the world dance to his tune? Is he both? Is he none of the two?

EDIT: President Trump was found mentally capable of performing his duties by a doctor that examined him.

EDIT 2: There are also several scandals that surround Donald Trump. From him not severing ties to his multi-billion $ business empire which profits from him being president, to putting perhaps unqualified relatives to government positions, to questionable choices in his personal life throughout the years and more.
    Every president is attacked for anything that some group considers immoral and the time to choose is the elections. It wasn't actually a secret what Trump was saying about women or that he was a cheater and he was elected president despite all those. And yet, voices for him to impeached are ceaseless.
    I don't think that Trump should be impeached, because most of what he's accused for was right there in the open when he was elected, including his ties with the Russians. The people electors chose him.
    And yet, Former Director of FBI Comey thinks Trump is morally unfit to be president.
    What do you think?

I think he's morally unfit to be president, but so are tons and tons of governors and presidents. A do-over is in 2 1/2 years. If the Democrats convince the population-density-adjusted electorate that their candidate is more morally fit, so be it.
    Last edited by alhoon; April 17, 2018 at 01:03 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Default Re: Is Donald Trump mentaly fit for the presidency?

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    So, what do you people think? Is Trump a mentally unbalanced narcissist that is unfit for the highest office in the USA? Is he a brilliant strategist that uses controversy to make the world dance to his tune? Is he both? Is he none of the two?
    He's neither of the two, though the media definitely tries to paint him as an unbalanced narcissist, and while he does seem to be easily flustered and prone to spontaneous outbursts I don't think that to this point it's done any real harm. I do think he's shrewder than a lot of people give him credit for, for instance Attorney General Sessions was under attack for his answer to congress about meeting with Russian officials (I honestly think it was just a misunderstanding, but I digress), and then Trump suddenly makes the claim that Obama wiretapped him during the election, whether the claim is true or not now all of the cameras are on Trump instead of Sessions, It got his guy out of a bind, while bringing himself, but also his political opponents under scrutiny.

He is America's Kaiser Wilhelm II.
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

Alastor's Avatar Vicarius

Obama? Impeached? For sabotaging Trump's campaign? If anything they'd give him another Nobel for that.

"Mental balance" seems a bit metaphysical to me. I think a moral guy who wants to almost abolish government while maintaining a strong defense, is a good fit for president. Trump may or may not be that, but all this talk by armchair psychologists about Trump's mental health makes me roll my eyes. We might as well be posting about how more and more witches believe he is Satan. I read recently that the overwhelmingly negative media coverage of Trump, is actually making Trump more popular among a lot of Americans.

I must say my opinion of him is highly unfavorable, but, judging by how mentally unbalanced the Left has become during this presidency, I'm starting to view this as an enemy of my enemy thing. It's quite entertaining.

Costin_Razvan's Avatar Campidoctor

Trump is just playing the press using controversy to his benefit. He certainly still gets a lot of free TV time and he has saturated the electorate to his way of acting and behaving, insane or not. And while people look at a weird\insane thing Trump said or did and his supporters defend it and his detractors attack it, he draws attention away from other issues that fall in the background noise.

Steve Bannon is a brilliant strategist that uses controversy to make the world dance to his tune. Trump's just the vehicle to make that happen.

We've seen politicians like this for years in Europe: Berlusconi, Sarkozy, Boris Johnson and even here in my country Romania our former president Traian Basescu was like this.
    "It's bizarre though. Donald Trump, an ageing, orange skinned reality TV star with a history of selling steaks and conning people, a trophy wife and one of the most fragile egos I've seen pretty much just destroyed the head of the interventionist faction in the US State apparatus, Victoria Nuland, after literally becoming President of the United states. We must live in one of the more interesting timelines."

"The Powell Doctrine is the bible of every foreign policy thinker."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powell_Doctrine

swabian's Avatar igni ferroque

Is Trump a mentally unbalanced narcissist that is unfit for the highest office in the USA? Is he a brilliant strategist that uses controversy to make the world dance to his tune? Is he both? Is he none of the two?
    While he's undoubtedly an examplary narcissist, i don't think he's unfit in the sense that he's going to run the US into the ground or cause a Vietnam 2.0. I think the appropriate word would be "unsuitable", rather than "unfit". I'm quite insistant on this distinction because one of the more important points of democracy is that any legally elected person can become the highest representative of the people and it should take really a lot to do a away with this principle in individual cases. He can and should be impeached if there is a very good reason for it, like getting a blowjob from someone other than his trophy wife or something lol. Ah, whetever... crazy president for crazy country.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post
    Steve Bannon is a brilliant strategist that uses controversy to make the world dance to his tune. Trump's just the vehicle to make that happen.

We've seen politicians like this for years in Europe: Berlusconi, Sarkozy, Boris Johnson and even here in my country Romania our former president Traian Basescu was like this.
    That sounds about right. Instead of the media focusing on Jeff Sessions potentially lying under oath on Capitol Hill about private contacts with a Russian envoy, Trump (or more aptly, Bannon) now has everyone talking about Obama instead. The problem with that, though, is that Trump didn't really see the repercussions this would have with his relationship with the FBI. James Comey has come out and basically thrown cold water on the whole idea of an illegal wiretap, to safeguard the reputation of his entire institution. Trump already had his problems with the CIA, but now it seems he'll have a frosty relationship with the FBI too. Not a good start for his presidency.

With that being said, there's one thing his detractors can't deny: Trump is no slouch; he's a busy man! Once he has an agenda, he sets his mind to it with a laser-sharp singular purpose. I suppose there is something to admire in that. I'd also refrain from making judgments about his mental health, seeing how we're not Sigmund Freud diagnosing him on a couch. Extreme actions alone would be sufficient enough to judge whether he should be impeached or not (for instance, firing everyone at the FBI in a fit of rage). In that scenario, I'm just disappointed that it would be Mike Pence who would then become president, instead of the ever lovely Ivanka Trump.

Big War Bird's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    He is America's Kaiser Wilhelm II.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought that
    As a teenager, I was taken to various houses and flats above takeaways in the north of England, to be beaten, tortured and raped over 100 times. I was called a “white slag” and “white ****” as they beat me.

-Ella Hill

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Quote Originally Posted by Costin_Razvan View Post

And what is their ultimate strategic goal to make themselves look like the local drunks?

Trump tweets that he believes the previous President committed a crime and that is a distraction?

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Well the thing is, even if you don't believe what any press says about him, there are still his tweets and speeches that are a true indication of his character. Unfiltered.

And it does not show a man fit to be president. He throws a tantrum like a toddler over the smallest things. How can anyone defend that behaviour? I don't care what someone's policies are, if they can't conduct themselves as an adult they are not fit to rule a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Well the thing is, even if you don't believe what any press says about him, there are still his tweets and speeches that are a true indication of his character. Unfiltered.

And it does not show a man fit to be president. He throws a tantrum like a toddler over the smallest things. How can anyone defend that behaviour? I don't care what someone's policies are, if they can't conduct themselves as an adult they are not fit to rule a country.
    I can imagine that it's more about respecting the voter's decision rather than defending trumps person in and of itself. The voters knew beforehand what kind of person they're dealing with and they voted in favour of him nonethless.

The guideline that should be applied imo is to judge him by his actions only, not by his behaviour. The only harm his asocial behaviour can cause is embarassment for the US citizens, who apparently don't care enough about that, else they wouldn't have given him so much responsibility.

I think Trump despite his age understands the internet like most young adults, a place where things you say are not necessarily 100% serious.

In a world where I get bombarded with pictures of cute kittens, and memes, and hacking my way through the jungle of trolling with a machete... a few awkward Trump tweets are not that bad.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Yup, well observed, i get the impression too. Also many, not all, of his supposed "rage tweets" rather speak of annoyance and not rage or any significant level of anger. I can however perfectly understand that many, if not most people are not willing to judge him objectively anymore by now lol. If there is one thing this guy certainly doesn't deserve, then it's patience and he's gotta live and die with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Legend View Post
    "Mental balance" seems a bit metaphysical to me. I think a moral guy who wants to almost abolish government while maintaining a strong defense, is a good fit for president. Trump may or may not be that, but all this talk by armchair psychologists about Trump's mental health makes me roll my eyes. We might as well be posting about how more and more witches believe he is Satan. I read recently that the overwhelmingly negative media coverage of Trump, is actually making Trump more popular among a lot of Americans.

I must say my opinion of him is highly unfavorable, but, judging by how mentally unbalanced the Left has become during this presidency, I'm starting to view this as an enemy of my enemy thing. It's quite entertaining.
    It is just a sign of legacy media becoming more and more desperate as political establishment is losing its popularity and support.
    The argument about mental incapability would fit more for Hillary or McCain.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I'm just disappointed that it would be Mike Pence who would then become president, instead of the ever lovely Ivanka Trump.
    12 more years. She will still be a catch (since we will also be older)

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus View Post

Trump tweets that he believes the previous President committed a crime and that is a distraction?
    It was quite, while not completely, successful. And I don't speak just about the wiretap thing. With Hamilton rage he drew the eyes away from another controversy that I forget; something with his business empire I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post

And yet the (density-adjusted) majority voted for him, while he has been the same Tweeting tantrum-thrower for years. Obviously the (density-adjusted) majority didn't agree with us.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus2185 View Post
    an unbalanced narcissist
    Well, judge for yourself- as compiled on MinnPost,

• “No one is more conservative than me"
    • “No one is stronger on the Second Amendment than me.”
    • “No one respects women more than me. No one reads the Bible more than me.”
    • “There’s nobody more pro-Israel than I am.”
    • “There’s nobody that’s done so much for equality as I have.”
    • “There’s nobody who feels more strongly about women’s health issues.”
    • “Nobody knows more about taxes than me, maybe in the history of the world.”
    • “I have studied the Iran deal in great detail, greater by far than anyone else.”
    • “Nobody’s ever been more successful than me.”
    • “Nobody knows banking better than I do.”
    • “Nobody knows more about debt than I do.”
    • “Nobody’s bigger or better at the military I am.”
    • “I am the least racist person you’ll ever meet.”
    • “Nobody knows the system better than me.”
    • “Nobody knows politicians better than me.”
    • “Nobody builds better walls than me.”
    • “Nobody knows more about trade than me.”
    • “There is nobody more against Obamacare than me.”
    • “Nobody is better on humility than me.”
    • “Nobody has better toys than me.”
    A statement for posterity,
    I can be more presidential than anybody. I would say more presidential, and I’ve said this a couple of times, more presidential other than the great Abe Lincoln
    Last edited by Ludicus; March 07, 2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

It is interesting, given how people how show least mental capability are... politicians that oppose Trump.
    Hillary was going into violent tantrums against her own staff throughout her election campaign (which culminated with literally trashing her hotel room on the election night), while Obama and Bush types have exhibited traits typical for sociopaths.

Modestus's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    On a ship in the middle of the Mediterranean.

It was quite, while not completely, successful. And I don't speak just about the wiretap thing. With Hamilton rage he drew the eyes away from another controversy that I forget; something with his business empire I think.
    A distraction that suggests your as mad as a march hare does not really work to distract people from thinking your as mad as a march hare.

Does Trump the media genius decide over the weekend that I will tweet that Obama tapped my phones and this will distract people from whatever I will also tweet about Arnold Schwarzenegger as this will show that I am up to date on world events.

Or

Does a not very intelligent elderly couch potato who happened to get elected President of the USA tweet about whatever he sees on the TV and the next day all his sycophants have to run about trying to make it look like rational behaviour for a President.

Its a comedy show.

You can have anger issues and still have the mental wherewithal to run a country - heck many famous figures from world history (such as Napoleon) had fits of rage. I imagine being a politician is fairly stressful. And let's not pretend Trump is immune to the pettiest feuds imaginable - shortly after accusing Obama of the greatest conspiracy since Watergate he was rattling on about The Apprentice.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)