Thread: Corruption & where are forts?

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default Corruption & where are forts?

As the title says why is corruption so bad in my cities? I'll admit I'm kind of new to m2tw engine as I have always played RS3 for Rome1, but shouldn't having a governor sort the problem? Are there law buildings to fix this? It looks on average that about 15-20% of my income is being eaten away through corruption, that's massive.

Also why can I only construct watchtowers and not forts? Is this intended?

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Default Re: Corruption & where are forts?

Corruption can't be completely eliminated but there are law providing buildings and good, not just any, governors can help. No forts buildable is intended due to AI issues.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

Corruption isn't sorted simply by having a governor. Distance from capital, culture clashes, all sorts of things of things contribute to it. Law buildings will help, but it isn't that easily fixed.

Forts were removed, they break the CAI.

Do you think forts will ever make a comeback? The team has done such a wonderful job when it comes to topographical detail and strategy, it would be nice to see an extra layer added on to that.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

No, their drawbacks heavily outweigh the benefit(s).

IIRC, QS already put in minor fort trade icons where the forts originally were.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Ah okay. It just seems to be very high, especially compared to other mods. Not that I particularly mind I much prefer mods like this with endless info's to read, I just don't really understand how to lower it when its so high.

How do forts break the campaign AI?

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

The high level AI is very simplistic, no matter how much the low level AI can account for certain other faults the LTGD will always be inadequately coded to account for the situations mods force it to account for.

For example, mod x adds a fort nearby a city within a region.
    The AI will then gather its troops within the fort and thereby designate said troops as NON free strength. The AI can only use troops to defend its cities that are classified as free strength. There's other very obvious faults as well but I won't explore those, suffice to say, it's much better to remove forts than have them.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

maybe permanent forts can be used as "extra" minor cities to slowdown conquests.

Quote Originally Posted by betto View Post
    maybe permanent forts can be used as "extra" minor cities to slowdown conquests.
    No, were you not reading that we removed them because they break the AI?

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    No, were you not reading that we removed them because they break the AI?
    dream_is_free_

Quote Originally Posted by Agrippa19 View Post
    As the title says why is corruption so bad in my cities? I'll admit I'm kind of new to m2tw engine as I have always played RS3 for Rome1, but shouldn't having a governor sort the problem? Are there law buildings to fix this? It looks on average that about 15-20% of my income is being eaten away through corruption, that's massive.

Also why can I only construct watchtowers and not forts? Is this intended?
    Just to check, you're looking at this in the city view, right? Or are you looking at the 'corruption and other' section on the overall budget report? If the latter, that line is combined with devastation as one of the 'others', while in the city view you can properly see corruption vs devastation costs. And yeah, law temples, strategic fortifications, way stations and garrisons, the coastal patrols unlocked by higher level ports, etc. But there's just way too much coin flowing not to expect people a couple of months' ride from the capital not to keep a decent chunk of it whenever they can get away with it. You'll see that once you're built up you're swimming in money anyway, so it won't be a big deal.

And how could one, if one was so enclined, re-enable temporary wooden Forts?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    And how could one, if one was so enclined, re-enable temporary wooden Forts?
    would be great to have temporary forts back (the extra dimension that they add to the gameplay outweighs the potential shortcomings imho) and it is 'possible' but unfortunately results in 'migrating wonders' whereby they spawn virtually anywhere on the map, appearing and disappearing at random. probably tied to the fact that (most?) wanders are fort-attached. if anyone knows how to prevent that from happening, if possible, please share.

You can't stop the Wonders from wandering if you re-enable constructible forts, because they've been "attached" to otherwise-unused forts. So unless you're willing to give up on Wonders on the battlemap (which is why they're attached - there's nothing else left available to use), that's what will happen.

Note constructible forts cause all the same CAI problems that fixed ones do.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    You can't stop the Wonders from wandering if you re-enable constructible forts, because they've been "attached" to otherwise-unused forts. So unless you're willing to give up on Wonders on the battlemap (which is why they're attached - there's nothing else left available to use), that's what will happen.

Note constructible forts cause all the same CAI problems that fixed ones do.
    if it is the obsession with garrisoning them at the cost of guarding the cities then potential is there. in actuality though, i havent seen it happen with temporary forts and its probably due to the fact that, firstly, the AI rarely bothers with them, and secondly, when it does build a fort, it does not stick to it and abandons it almost as soon as it is built. from what i've seen, unfortunately AI doesn't/cannot use forts as a human player would - having them as 'permanent' 'army bases' or as strategically placed strongholds.

correct me if im wrong but wonder at Hallicarnasus isnt attached to the fort, is it? or is it the one next to it? one of them is listed as a unique building but also present on stratmap and has no 'forts', iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    correct me if im wrong but wonder at Hallicarnasus isnt attached to the fort, is it? or is it the one next to it? one of them is listed as a unique building but also present on stratmap and has no 'forts', iirc.
    Both wonders (Diana & Mausoleum) tie to the same fort.
    EBII Council

So, just to recap - And I am sorry fi I misunderstood something - one can't reactivate temporary forts because the Wonders are tied to permanent Stone-forts? How do temporary forts make the Wonders wander?

Quote Originally Posted by Domeric_Bolton View Post
    So, just to recap - And I am sorry fi I misunderstood something - one can't reactivate temporary forts because the Wonders are tied to permanent Stone-forts? How do temporary forts make the Wonders wander?
    Temporary forts and PSFs are one and the same. They're only PSFs if you've disabled the temporary build-able sort.

So how does one go about enabling forts (and perhaps disabling the wonders)? This is something I miss a great deal for immersion purposes.

I agree with some of the people here that the benefits outweigh the occasional drawbacks. If it is possible to enable forts for individual factions perhaps a script could enable them for the player only, thus solving the problem of the AI shooting itself in the foot. Also cant wonders be tied to trade goods instead? That way they could also generate extra income from pilgrimages & tourists, and allow for unique buildings for their provinces.

I don't understand : I have a fort in a province in southern English Island. At least it looks like it : it is a "minor" town where I can garrison my troops but without anything to build or any town interface. Looks like a perm fort to me.

Edit : never mind : it is just confirm what was said : it is Stonehenge.
    Last edited by Floren d'Asteneuz; April 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM.