Thread: Countless CTD's and glitches

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default Countless CTD's and glitches

Really great mod, but I'm finding it pretty unstable. I know it's not finished but the CTD's are very annoying.

I'm playing on windows 10 and have followed the installation instructions as best as I could. I'm sure I followed them exactly. My install location is OS (C / WrFile/ steamapps/common/medieval 2 TW/ mods/eb2. I reinstalled steam outside programsx86 folder.

I've adjusted the eb2.cfg folder so some sections are as follows;

[log]
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt
    level = * trace

[video]
    movies = 1
    windowed = 1
    borderless_window = 1

[misc]
    show_hud_date = 1
    display_error_on_exit = 1

[game]
    allusers = 1
    unlimited_men_on_battlefield = 1
    advisor_verbosity = 1
    blind_advisor = 0
    mute_advisor = 1
    event_cutscenes = 0
    auto_save = 0

I thought I disabled autosave but my game still autosaves. How do I stop this. As well as this my game does not give my a proper error log when it ctd. Is my [misc] section incorrect?

I deleted map.rwm to save all my changes to the files, made a backup of eb2.cfg also but same problem occurs when using either variation of the file.

My problem is that consistently every 3-4 turns I'll have a CTD. I'm playing as the Indian faction and I am on turn 150 so clearly this does not make the game unplayable BUT just in the last few turns my graphics are starting to get corrupted. As in the 'ok' button on the diplomacy scroll will be a portrait of a character. Also when I open the pause menu the 'yes' and and 'no' options are portraits too. I reloaded and the problem disappeared. But after a few turns it happened again and disappeared. It feels like the campaign is getting corrupted.

How do I get the eroor log to show specifically what's wrong as I thought I followed the instructions but it still does not tell me, and are these problems common?

Default Re: Countless CTD's and glitches

Have you checked you don't have conflicting config entries in the medieval2.preferences.cfg?

What you're describing as graphical corruption is the memory leak bug - nothing you can do about that but save, quit and restart when you notice it. That's why it keeps recurring - you keep overloading the available memory.

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

It's common users encounter technical issues while using old software like M2TW - it's only designed to address 2GB of RAM regardless of the users actual hardware capabilities - and that limitation can cause stability problems with large mods like EB2.

There are 3rd party utilities which can address this problem, but there might be legal ramifications and any software modification is potentially problematic, so users should do their own research and make their own independent decisions.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Thanks fellas. There was also a conflicting line in medieval2.preferences.cfg so I changed that

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Update. I did as you fellows asked and I believe there was a moderate improvement, however I'm after hitting a crash that's threatening to end my campaign. Turn 215 and every time I press end turn it will simulate factions until the rebel faction and then crash. The error message just states ;

"Unspecified error; Please compress your error log in a zip format and upload it on eb2 tech help forum."

I believe I've attached the appropriate file. Any help would be appreciated, I've gone too far in the campaign to just start again.+rep for help
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is that the log from immediately after the crash? Is it a complete one? There's no errors in it.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I'm not too sure, it's taken directly from WrFile/steamapps/common/medieval 2 total war/ mods /eb2/ logs/ eb.system.

I've adjusted the files as described in the installation thread but the only error message I get is the one I described in my previous comment. I've tried loading the game about 6 times now, first 2 times it crashed on Boii turn, but now it keeps crashing on the rebel turn. I'll try to adjust the file again to show me a proper error log as the game does not give me specific line that's causing the crash when it CTD.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I completed step 9 in the installation thread as follows;7

9. Make sure your error log is working properly so you can properly report any issues. Go into [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\EBII.cfg and make sure under [log] it says:

Code:
    to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    This means the log will be stored as eb.system.log.txt in [your M2TW directory]\mods\EBII\logs\ - we will need this log any time you report an error. No log, no resolution, for the most part.

Then I downloaded the patch and installed.

The error log I posted says it was last updated 6 days ago when I downloaded the mod. So I don't think it's up to date even though I finished all those steps. Should it not automatically update itself as I play?

Edit: when I started the thread I had played 150 turns as the Indian faction, now I'm playing Rome 200 turns in. It's the year 219BC, I was getting ctd's in that campaign but this is a consistent end of turn crash and I don't know what's causing it. It used to crash on the Boii who resettled in Spain. I moved a spy near to their 1 settlement and then got crashes on the rebel turn instead.

Extra Edit: In my ebii file (that is a .cfg file) this section is as follows

[log] to = mods/ebii/logs/eb.system.log.txt
    level = * trace

However in my logs folder the only file is eb.system.log (with no .txt) at the end. Is this an issue or is this how it should be?
    Last edited by Agrippa19; March 04, 2017 at 03:38 PM.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Okay well I don't know exactly what the problem was but somehow it finished the rurn. Even though it CTD literally 10 times in a row.

I toggled fow and auto_killed a few rebels who may/may not have been in buggy positions, although it wasn't obvious. I also made an extra diplomatic deal or 2 hoping there may have been something in there causing the problem. Mid way through the end turn the map got all buggy like it was struggling through something but it managed to finish the turn. Since I quit and reboot, BUT the problem persists yet again on the next rurn with rebel faction again. I just don't understand where the ctd's are coming from.
    Last edited by Agrippa19; March 04, 2017 at 04:50 PM.

It'd help more if you uploaded a log we can read in its entirety, there might be an important line telling us the exact issue.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

The log I uploaded was from steamapps/common/medieval2totalwar/mods/ebii/logs and I uploaded the entire file. I'm not sure what other location would be helpful for finding errors as I'm not very competent when it comes to recognising code errors. Is there another file that I could upload that would be helpful?

That's the only file; no idea why yours isn't updating with every session, as it should be.

Yes, an updated file would be very helpful.
    The AI Workshop Creator

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

I think an updated file would be helpful too, but it seems to be a separate problem that my logs folder isn't automatically updating itself. There's one or two other threads on the first page here that say they're having the same problem as well with the logs folder.

We've never been able to get to the bottom of that. Some people just have an inexplicable issue with generating logs, yet lots of others manage just fine.