Thread: Losing money (campaign)

Default Losing money (campaign)

I just have a few units in my castle, the tax rate is Low/Normal and I build everything that improves trade but still my income in some cities is -2000 how do I get more income?

Default Re: Losing money (campaign)

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal3097 View Post
    I just have a few units in my castle, the tax rate is Low/Normal and I build everything that improves trade but still my income in some cities is -2000 how do I get more income?
    check the city income, bigger city will pay more for army upkeep. open build menu, then choose settlement details. you can chekc income detail there.now im playing as brutii, my capital "Tarentum" pay 5000 for army upkeep and the income 329disband your army and ship if you dont need it. and put your general in settlement if they have a good trait for management and influence.

Quote Originally Posted by alhaddad View Post
    check the city income, bigger city will pay more for army upkeep. open build menu, then choose settlement details. you can chekc income detail there.now im playing as brutii, my capital "Tarentum" pay 5000 for army upkeep and the income 329disband your army and ship if you dont need it. and put your general in settlement if they have a good trait for management and influence.
    Thanks. I did it and I saw the army upkeep is over 4000. However, when I disband units the income barely changes and the population gets angry,.

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

Thanks. I did it and I saw the army upkeep is over 4000. However, when I disband units the income barely changes and the population gets angry,.
    Don't care about the income a single settlement makes, but about the faction-wide income. The upkeep of units and agents is divided according to the population of the settlements, sometimes leaving nasty deficits in larger cities, but that's the way it is. By disbanding the units you did decrease the faction-wide upkeep costs, but since you have a lot of settlements the decrease in upkeep cost affects a single city very little.The income of the whole faction is more important.

Settlement- by-settlement you should consider public order more than how much money it makes. Even the buildings that improve the income in some way or the other, you can think of it increasing your income in the faction as a whole.

First I disbanded a few units and idk if it happened because of that but I then got rich. But then my money dropped from 60000 to 50000. I'm creating a very strong army now to attack the well defended Narbo Maritus, which would be the decisive blow against Gaul. But I really need my garrisons to defend my castle and if I disband units the stupid population gets angry.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Capture the Colossus if you haven't already. Generally, agriculture is the worst form of income, then mining, then trade. Sea trade is the king and with the Colossus, you'll be fine. Head towards Greece. Who are you playing as?

I am playing as the House of Julii. At the moment I have already conquered France, Spain and some of UK so my answer is pretty outdated. But my economy isn't so good so I can definitely help the hint about sea trade. Thanks.

Everything was going fine but now I'm starting to get debts. What do you mean with Colossus and how do I manage to trade on sea?

Laetus

Everything was going fine but now I'm starting to get debts. What do you mean with Colossus and how do I manage to trade on sea?
    I'm playing as Julii and keep loosing denarii. The most I can make is 60000 in a turn. I normally make 3000 to 4000. My largest cities loose 1200 to 2500 per turn. I keep the taxes at very high and my population is over 100% happy, but I cannot squeeze more money out of them. It's terrible! The first thing I upgrade are my ports.

I normally don't build temples or academies. SHould I start doing that?

Laetus

Sorry, it should have said 6000 denarii not 60000. I wish!

Quote Originally Posted by the_cimerian View Post
    I'm playing as Julii and keep loosing denarii. The most I can make is 60000 in a turn. I normally make 3000 to 4000. My largest cities loose 1200 to 2500 per turn. I keep the taxes at very high and my population is over 100% happy, but I cannot squeeze more money out of them. It's terrible! The first thing I upgrade are my ports.

I'm sorry but, as I'm also in a financial crisis, I can't help you . Can you tell me how you keep your population so happy?

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

What do you mean with Colossus and how do I manage to trade on sea?
    He means the Colossus of Rhodes, a wonder. It increases your naval trade income by 40% when you capture the island of Rhodes.

As for the trade on sea, you can not directly manage it, but it's value is depended on three factors: the port and trade building chains in a settlement, the population in the settlement, and possible trading partners (as it seems to me by experience that the trade route is set with the region it creates most income with). The larger the population and better the buildings, the greater the income you get from a single settlement. The total number of coastal regions you control also increases the overall income from trade via sea, naturally.

Thank you but how do you keep your population so high with very high taxes?

Laetus

Every time I conquer a city it's either enslave the population or anihilate everyone! Very large cities will give you plenty of denarii when you put everyone to the sword. Also, I recruit a bunch of cheap units, like town watch, and never move them from each city. Leave your highest ranking generals in important cities. Not the one with a lot of stars but the ones with the best administrator and influence ratings. That way you'll create special leaders for combat and other for management. Always keep your faction leader at your capital. And when he dies and you have a new leader, no more traveling the world for him, back to capitol city! Build forts in between cities to move armies. 500 denarii is a cheap investment instead of leaving armies out in the open for too many turns. You'll notice the difference in your army upkeep.

One more thing: I like playing very hard in battles but hard in campaign. I know it's cheating a little bit, but it makes the game more entertaining?

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Extermination and enslavement. When you enslave, make sure the only settlements with generals in them the ones where you want the growth to reach the next population cap to unlock new buildings. If a settlement has lots of advanced buildings already, just exterminate the population to save yourself the hassle of looking after them later. Grab the Colossus and go coastal and you won't have to worry about income again. If you capture a settlement every couple of turns and exterminate, that should help too. Also, don't keep enormous armies that aren't needed.

Wouldn't advise leaving your leader in the capital though, they have a huge bodyguard and are a great combat unit - especially in the early game.

Thanks.

So I finally captured Rhodes. It was of the Greek cities and the population revolted. I crushed the rebels with my urban cohort and conquered the settlement. First my economy was going crazy but now I'm losing money again. I've built the dockyard and stuff in Rhodes. I only have 1 large army to conquer (just created it), a big fleet and fairly strong garissons to protect the settlements near the border from eventual attacks but especially to keep my population happy. I know, I should let them revolt and then recapture the settlement and exterminate the population but some times they are so strong. Those rebels already have elephants.

Oh. It goes fine again now. I'll warn you guys when it goes badly again. Thanks a lot for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by the_cimerian View Post

Temples allow you to have a smaller garrison and give you trade/tax bonuses. Academies are an excellent idea. You want your next generation of governors to have good skills so build them early.

You should be doing everything you can to keep your populations low if you aren't playing with ridiculously huge unit sizes. Large populations aren't worth the trouble. Play long enough and you'll figure out how to perfectly manage settlements. If you have high happiness with very high taxes, focus entirely on economy/military buildings. Building happiness in happy places is a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerGxi View Post
    Temples allow you to have a smaller garrison and give you trade/tax bonuses. Academies are an excellent idea. You want your next generation of governors to have good skills so build them early.

You should be doing everything you can to keep your populations low if you aren't playing with ridiculously huge unit sizes. Large populations aren't worth the trouble. Play long enough and you'll figure out how to perfectly manage settlements. If you have high happiness with very high taxes, focus entirely on economy/military buildings. Building happiness in happy places is a waste.
    I saw what I did wrong. I had lots of elite troops. Now I fixed everything, I can attack my allies, I can swim in money and my population is pretty happy. I just have set some town watches in the most settlements. Thanks for your help guys

Some comments as a newbie

1) All cities make money. Some cities are better at it than others.
    2) If you look at a city profile you will see income from land trade (with other regions), sea trade (if you have ports) mines (if you have mines) and income from farming
    3) If a city has a negative income, all it means is that the income raised by the city is insufficient to meet the proportionate costs of all the army and other outgoings (based on the population)
    4) Large cities are much more likely to have a (negative) income as the maximum population is 48 times the minimum (24,000 - 500) but the maximum growth by upgrading is much less than this.
    5) As cities get larger, the default position is that tax rates have to be reduced to avoid riots. The following will all help improve public order - and thus allow taxes to be raised.
    ...a) When a city is no longer to be used to raise an army - switch over to the appropriate temple that maximises public order due to happiness/ law. This may need timing before the city gets too large.
    ...b) Destroy as many buildings created by a different culture (or upgrade them to your own culture) as possible. if you don't need it - get rid of it. (Temples especially)
    ...c) Move the capitol closer to the city - this will have an adverse effect on other cities of course.
    ...d) Put a Governor in with good influence (laurel leaves) into your largest/ furthest away cities from the capital. Good city management helps, but you need to keep control of it.
    ...e) Fill up the city with peasants/ town watch. A large garrison helps. Even queuing a large number of units helps public order - just remember to insert the REAL unit you want training at the head of the queue.
    ...f) Construct buildings that improve public order (arenas/ taverns)
    ..g) Make sure that the TOTAL effects contributing to population growth do not exceed 8% - the top line when looking at a city stats. (You can have it exceed 8% while you want the city to grow, but destroy the buildings when the city reaches 24,000). This leads us on to:
    6) Farm Management

Every region has a basic level of farming - which varies from about 1.5 (desert) to 7.0 (The Nile, Corduba, Patavium) (also watch out for food imports).
    Every increase in farming raises this level by 0.5. the extra farming produce increases revenue. (Yippee)
    Since you can't get rid of farming improvements, only upgrade farms where the basic level is quite low e.g. 4.5 or less (this depends on the faction you are playing as some factions can improve population growth by building Agoras etc). The farm upgrades also speed up population growth.
    Allowing armies to stay in one place for several goes reduces farming income (devastation) - shown by the black areas on the map.
    7 Roads
    Build them: they should be the first thing built after your town upgrades unless you desperately need something else. Building roads increases trade = increases money.
    8 Ports
    You need them to control the seas anyway. If your town has a valuable resource near (look for symbols) or is CLOSE to another town across the sea (Corduba, Londinium, Tarantum) then this is a no-brainer. It is a good idea to try and take these towns as quickly as possible when attacking the appropriate faction.
    9 Markets
    Any town not in the direct line of attack should have their markets upgraded - provided total population growth can be held to 8% gross.
    10 Mines
    Provide a fixed rate of income - not every place has them. (I think the Mines+1 are a luxury - D3500 for a +150 benefit.
    11 Modifying the tax rate
    Each increase in the tax rate reduces public order AND reduces population growth. During the early part of the game, I find it beneficial to keep taxes relatively low to speed up the ability to upgrade cities. Playing Barbarians (where a minor city is the maximum development level), once the city reaches 6000 I then boost the taxes. As long as the face isn't red then there is no need to worry If the face does turn red then experiment with filling up the recruitment queue - if that doesn't work clear the queue, reduce the tax rate and if you can upgrade/ build happiness buildings.
    12 Governors
    Some governors have traits that reduce the income from farming - make sure these are the ones leading the armies if possible. (or if poor in command just supplying the heavy cavalry). In worst cases send them off to fight the rebels.
    13Micromanaging
    "To him that have shall be given". Given the option of upgrading two regions, If deciding to upgrade a building, choose the one that already has the most income from the current level.