Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New portrait cards for Western Greek and Roman generals and family members! (v. 2.2)

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon14 New portrait cards for Western Greek and Roman generals and family members! (v. 2.2)

UPDATE: this submod has been superseded by a new one using portraits derived from in-game screenshots of Hellenistic units and their various facial models. This is in line with EBII's general policy of basing UI character portraits on the unit models found in the game. You can visit the new thread here for a preview and download instructions.

This sub-mod of Europa Barbarorum II provides new portrait UI cards for Western Greek and Roman generals/officers/family members. The game currently uses the old RTW portraits, which lack variety, while this new sub-mod provides unique portrait cards for your various generals and faction family members. The images are public domain and taken from either ancient Roman frescoes and mosaics, or Early Modern and 19th century Neoclassical paintings. The Western Greeks are completely replaced, while only about half of the Roman portraits have been replaced, the other half being the RTW originals presently used in EB II.

For downloading, you have one of two choices:

OPTION #1: ModDB download

Or...

OPTION #2: download straight from TWC instead

Once you have downloaded the zip file, extract the contents of the "data" folder directly to your "EB II" folder, which is located within the "mods" folder of your Medieval II: Total War game. DO NOT extract the zip file to any other folder, only the EB II one. Just like that, voila! You'll have new unit cards for Western Greeks and Romans.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to do the same for the Eastern Greeks. Perhaps someone else can make a little submod for that.

Enjoy!

Click the thumbnails to see the portraits below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Western Greeks.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	358555 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Romans.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	358556 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Western Greeks preview.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	327.7 KB 
ID:	358554

Default Re: New portrait cards for Western Greek and Roman generals and family members! (v. 2.2)

Sounds interesting. Can you give us some in-game screenshots of them to how it looks.

GRANTO's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: New portrait cards for Western Greek and Roman generals and family members! (v. 2.2)

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

This sub-mod of Europa Barbarorum II provides new portrait UI cards for Western Greek and Roman generals/officers/family members. The game currently uses the old RTW portraits, which lack variety, while this new sub-mod provides unique portrait cards for your various generals and faction family members. The images are public domain and taken from either ancient Roman frescoes and mosaics, or Early Modern and 19th century Neoclassical paintings. The Western Greeks are completely replaced, while only about half of the Roman portraits have been replaced, the other half being the RTW originals presently used in EB II.

For downloading, you have one of two choices:

OPTION #1: ModDB download (temporarily doesn't work for the next hour, though, wait for countdown...)

Or...

OPTION #2: download straight from TWC instead

Once you have downloaded the zip file, extract the contents of the "data" folder directly to your "EB II" folder, which is located within the "mods" folder of your Medieval II: Total War game. DO NOT extract the zip file to any other folder, only the EB II one. Just like that, voila! You'll have new unit cards for Western Greeks and Romans.

Unfortunately I don't have the time or patience to do the same for the Eastern Greeks. Perhaps someone else can make a little submod for that.

Enjoy!
    cool , they look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppis View Post
    Sounds interesting. Can you give us some in-game screenshots of them to how it looks.
    As you've requested, I've edited the OP with new images. I hope they suit you!

Great mod, definitely changes the atmosphere and aesthetic of playing on the campaign map. I find myself missing it when I switch to Carthage or Parni or something.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

thank you - this looks really good!

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

You're welcome, guys! I'm glad that you approve of it.

Thg170's Avatar Libertus

Excellent work !!

Do you think you will make future sub mods with portraits for other cultures like the Easterners and Celts?
    The EBII Celtic/Gallic portraits in the game all sort of look the same and the Eastern portraits are those from vanilla RTW

the new EB II Germanic portraits look alright

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

I hear u want not copyrightening portrejts, so I want to help, here, free no copy paste, u can use for Rome cause Rome kicks all ass and is the best!!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Also here, if u make Asterix portraits, u can use this:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If greeks need to, just say and I help make best sparta

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

What would I do without you, Ngugi? I'd be like a ship at sea without a rudder.

@thg170: the thought has certainly crossed my mind! However, I wouldn't be able to get as many ancient public domain images of Celts and Easterners. A multitude of such images are just not available, although I'd have better luck with Easterners. From what I understand the Celts didn't produce frescoes like the Romans, and the Romans did not bother to depict them systematically, unlike mythological Greek and later Biblical themes in their art.

I could definitely find Parthian and Sasaniart art, but they didn't produce a whole lot of frescoes and mosaics. They were more into sculpture, rock reliefs, and metallic arts.

Celts are featured in some Neoclassical paintings, but not many.

Just installed the mod, and i must say that it´s really good.
    Nice to see a little variation with the generals and FM´s.

Very good work, keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Hohenstaufen234 View Post
    Just installed the mod, and i must say that it´s really good.
    Nice to see a little variation with the generals and FM´s.

Very good work, keep it up!
    Oops! Sorry I never saw your post. It's a little belated, but thanks for the words of encouragement!

Great idea and good job! My favourite submod for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by wallesM View Post
    Great idea and good job! My favourite submod for sure!
    Thanks for the high praises!

mustafadark's Avatar Laetus

Nice submod. Thanks for that.

commenting way late to say I loved this. It's a bit weird to play as/against a faction using Rome 1 portraits and then see these beautiful general faces. They add a ton of character though and I would love if someone took it to the next level and tried it with more of the factions. I will probably end up finally using your update ... probably. I just really love this one

we can go full rome 1 style and use ancient egyptian pharaohs' sideway portraits for Ptolemy

Quote Originally Posted by tentaku View Post
    we can go full rome 1 style and use ancient egyptian pharaohs' sideway portraits for Ptolemy
    If we're going down that route, might as well make the Seleucid portraits look like ancient Han Chinese and Mongolic Xiongnu commanders. It would be about as accurate. I mean, it's in Asia, they're all just a bunch of Asians who look alike aren't they? India, Persia, no difference! They're all a bunch of Mexicans anyway, like Condoleezza Rice.

Would you be interested in remaking this submod for the next version? I'm planning on adding new portraits for Carthage, Rome and Greeks, possibly to other factions, but it is a lot of work and I could use your help

BTW: I will use most of the new portraits from When Worlds Collide submod for Roma Surrectum. The autho, Leoni, gave full permission to use his work, in fact, when I asked, he replied "... you don't need to ask permission, everything I do is for free use". Of course he will be credited. Lastly, I will also use some images from a reanactment page Europa Antiqva which I also have permission.

So, are you in?

Quote Originally Posted by Lusitanio View Post
    Would you be interested in remaking this submod for the next version? I'm planning on adding new portraits for Carthage, Rome and Greeks, possibly to other factions, but it is a lot of work and I could use your help

BTW: I will use most of the new portraits from When Worlds Collide submod for Roma Surrectum. The autho, Leoni, gave full permission to use his work, in fact, when I asked, he replied "... you don't need to ask permission, everything I do is for free use". Of course he will be credited. Lastly, I will also use some images from a reanactment page Europa Antiqva which I also have permission.

So, are you in?
    Sounds cool, but I'm not sure what I could do to contribute. Cropping some images for you or something? It's tedious work, but that's how I did the above submod. I had to search through hundreds of old paintings to find this stuff. I didn't have any of it on my computer beforehand! If you have a bunch of portraits that are just ready to use, by all means make that submod!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast