Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 52% of US teenagers identify as bisexual or gay

Senator

Default Re: 52% of US teenagers identify as bisexual or gay

Nah, artificial insemination.
    It's all the rage these days, regardless of sexual preference.
    I sure hope they have the money.

For people discussing sample size:

300 people is good enough for 99% confidence with a margin of error of +/- 7.5%. Any introductory statistics course will tell you that the total population is irrelevant to the accuracy of a given sample size (given a sufficiently large population)

Handy calculator: http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm
    Sorry but that site is it says that a population of 1000 apparently needs a sample size of 307 to be accurate but a popualtion of 20,219,890 needs 359(Confidence interval 4 and cofidence level 95%).You forgive me if I don't actually trust that site?
    And apart from that if you ask 300 people from New York you will not get the same result as when asking 300 people from Wyoming.
    Elder Scrolls Online :Messing up the Lore since 2007...

Well overhand or underhand: 3:50 Onwards...

I said nothing about potential sampling bias, only sample size, which is very easy to show because it is a very basic concept in statistics.

I am the Air Bud of Total War

waswar's Avatar Libertus

Sample sizes don't need to be very large, but if you're going to restrict sampling to a particular city or state, then your conclusion should say that the results are about that particular city or state, not the entire nation.

As for the premise itself, I guess it's rather useful, for as a gay man, it means potentially 52% of men are open for me! Though the 12% that picked 1 on the scale are more likely to only do anything that's not completely heterosexual under very specific circumstances, so I think it'd be best to be aware of that, as well as the fact that they're teenagers and most people in the bisexual category will shift to either homosexual or heterosexual within several years, with especially the lower numbers shifting to the latter.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Sint View Post
    I sure hope they have the money.
    Pfff.
    Just use a turkey baster thingy. It's not hard. My cousin artificially inseminates cows all of the time and he's mentally disabled.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by waswar View Post
    Sample sizes don't need to be very large, but if you're going to restrict sampling to a particular city or state, then your conclusion should say that the results are about that particular city or state, not the entire nation.

As for the premise itself, I guess it's rather useful, for as a gay man, it means potentially 52% of men are open for me! Though the 12% that picked 1 on the scale are more likely to only do anything that's not completely heterosexual under very specific circumstances, so I think it'd be best to be aware of that, as well as the fact that they're teenagers and most people in the bisexual category will shift to either homosexual or heterosexual within several years, with especially the lower numbers shifting to the latter.
    It doesn't go evenly for men and women, so I would say your chances would be quite lower buddy. I would say a great many of the 1-ers are girls that have seen too many college-means-girls-making-out movies and suppose they will participate in a girl-girl-boy action if both the boy and the girl are hot.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

This whole debate on this is kinda a non thing if they really used 1 on the Kinsey Scale as bisexual. Thats basically being ok with a three way, without any direct sex between the same. And jokes aside about "its not gay if its a three way", a Kinsey 1 really isn't.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Well a threeway is a little bit gay. Hands tend to wander, eye contact at an inopportune moment may lead one to question one's inclinations and entire life.
    Nothing's gay if you feel bad afterwards, that's what my priest told me once when I was an altar boy.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    This whole debate on this is kinda a non thing if they really used 1 on the Kinsey Scale as bisexual. Thats basically being ok with a three way, without any direct sex between the same. And jokes aside about "its not gay if its a three way", a Kinsey 1 really isn't.
    Well, I'm not OK with a 3-way. Although I would not have known that when I was 16...
    And despite what people think happens in prison, I don't think more than 10% of the prisoners actively seek homosexual relations because of lack of sex.

Also, isn't that scale 0-6 instead of 0-7 as presented?
    Last edited by alhoon; March 01, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Also, isn't that scale 0-6 instead of 0-7 as presented?
    Obviously it's challenging for some people to conceive of a 7 point scale that has no 7 in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by swabian View Post
    The female population is much more likely to identify as bi-sexual according to a couple of earlier studies. It's also shown that pronography watched by women most frequently is of a lesbian nature. I think it's actually possible that ~40% of college girls are classifiable as secretely or openly bi-sexual.
    This has always been the case. I'm not sure if it's because women feel less stigmatized than men about revealing themselves as bisexuals, or if there is truly an inherently larger number of females who are bisexual as opposed to men. In either case I think the study is bogus and that the sheer number of purely heterosexual individuals still dwarfs the amount of both homosexual and bisexual peoples combined. If this many people were actually gay (or bi) then procreation itself would see a natural, steep decline, but this hasn't really happened outside of oddball cases like Japan. And that country's demographic woes have nothing to do with homosexuality, either; it's because they have easier access to robots, blow-up dolls, and virtual "wifus" to service their needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    Six months ago I created this thread about 54% of under-25s in Britain identifying as something other than exclusively heterosexual in a YouGov poll. They were asked to rate their sexuality from 0 to 7, with 0 being only straight and 7 being only gay. Only a minority of the participants chose 0.

The survey has been repeated with a sample of 300 Americans aged 13-20. 52% selected a rating for their sexuality corresponding to bisexual or gay.

What will the world look like when these people are older? I think Vice sums up the situation by saying they're "Queer AF". When people in their 20s today are in their 80s, the world will be an extremely queer place.
    what will happen if people think for themselves and dont believe what they are told by the media [52% of people are queer] they wont need threads like this anymore.

The_Fan's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by twc01 View Post
    what will happen if people think for themselves and dont believe what they are told by the media [52% of people are queer] they wont need threads like this anymore.
    Exactly. Unfortunately fewer and fewer people seem to be able to pull their heads out of their collective butts and think for themselves. To me, that is the real tragedy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jom View Post
    I expect Levi Roots's Reggae Reggae Sauce to be identified imminently as the root of all this rioting. Never export black culture into the UK.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234