Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod! (4.5 released as of 2022-04-20)

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Default Re: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    Hello, what does RTR stand for? A mod for medieval 2? It's fina by me.
    1) RTR= Rome Total Realism, 2)a mod for RTW in my case "Rome 1" 3) that's great, I've already made couple of thumbnails for my 1st LP (as the Kingdom of Alba obviously lol) to choose from, are you ok with me crediting you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured TLK x5.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	343844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured TKLx 2.PNG 
Size:	582.0 KB 
ID:	343845

As for my update i have decided to change a few things regarding custom settlements - originally i was going to let the player update cities from villages to huge cities, making them change into vanilla or higher tech-settlements when they go from city to large city etc.. But i started thinking it was bad for the feeling of the mod, and that if there are no viking custom settlements for city or large city then it's better to re-use the large_town-model for both of those - as for huge city they are de-activated by the mod and i have no plan of adding them if they aren't activated from the start.
    I agree, huge cities would look out of place imo.

This means that while the player will be able to upgrade settlements to large_city regardless of faction - the factions settlements won't look like a proper city or large_city if they are Viking or Barbarian. They won't change in battle after large town has been reached - no stone walls etc. They will still be able to have such settlements if they conquer them from other cultures though. The Francs and Saxons have other settlements which will change for each level. And Gwynedd will start with barbarian Alba-style settlements but will be able to restore it's cities to the style of the Romans - as they were before the middle of the 400's.
    I think stone walls for "Capitals" only would work, if that was possible

This is done because i think viking-settlements should remain just that no matter the upgrade level.
    I think that would be accurate, though I'm not a historian so I may be wrong, it just sounds right.

As for the new rosters i did find the perfect unit for foreign gael's in the slav roster from WotN - it's a unit named "Nemci" or "Foreigners" with gaelic styled helmets etc. I just need to find a better shield texture - but they are pretty much foreign Gael's. It is possible i could base a Gwynedd roster on another faction from WotN if i manage to replace capes and gear by just changing the textures. Instead of using finnish animall-textures for capes one could use the red slavic ones - and voila - they do look like Gwynedd captains. At least they remind me of the look of the soldiers of Pendragon in Merlin 1998 which i think fit great.
    That sounds interesting, I am really looking forward to the finished article.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; March 06, 2017 at 09:58 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    1) RTR= Rome Total Realism, 2)a mod for RTW in my case "Rome 1" 3) that's great, I've already made couple of thumbnails for my 1st LP (as the Kingdom of Alba obviously lol) to choose from, are you ok with me crediting you?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured TLK x5.PNG 
Size:	413.5 KB 
ID:	343844Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captured TKLx 2.PNG 
Size:	582.0 KB 
ID:	343845

I agree, huge cities would look out of place imo.

I think stone walls for "Capitals" only would work, if that was possible

I think that would be accurate, though I'm not a historian so I may be wrong, it just sounds right.

That sounds interesting, I am really looking forward to the finished article.
    The Kingdom of Alba doesn't have anything new but the music currently though. Would be better to play as Northumbria, Vestfold, Hordaland, Frankish Empire, Denmark or Magyars if you want to show new stuff. I am still to add new content to Alba, Gwynedd and Munster/Connach. Mercia, Wessex and East Anglia does have the possibility of recruiting Northumbrian units later in the campaign though. The Normans needs some fixes too because they don't have anything new.

Alba is pretty much re-textured vanilla units. But if you play as them - at least they have some good music and cool enemies next door in the form of Northumbria to the south and Vestfold to the North. Cool avatars/banners.

Stone walls doesn't work for the custom settlements that the vikings do use. The highest level use the wooden walls. But Franks etc have stone walls and large stone walls.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; March 06, 2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

The Kingdom of Alba doesn't have anything new but the music currently though. Would be better to play as Northumbria, Vestfold, Hordaland, Frankish Empire, Denmark or Magyars if you want to show new stuff. I am still to add new content to Alba, Gwynedd and Munster/Connach. Mercia, Wessex and East Anglia does have the possibility of recruiting Northumbrian units later in the campaign though. The Normans needs some fixes too because they don't have anything new.
    Well I prefer to wait until you're done and happy with your release, I want to complete at least one of my Let's Play before I start your mod anyway so as to fit in with my weekly schedule, I always commit to my LP's till the end, win or lose.

Alba is pretty much re-textured vanilla units. But if you play as them - at least they have some good music and cool enemies next door in the form of Northumbria to the south and Vestfold to the North. Cool avatars/banners.
    I like the music for sure even though it's not quite a fluent & smooth transition from track to track at times.

Stone walls doesn't work for the custom settlements that the vikings do use. The highest level use the wooden walls. But Franks etc have stone walls and large stone walls.
    Oh aye that's fine, it was just a thought

Well I prefer to wait until you're done and happy with your release, I want to complete at least one of my Let's Play before I start your mod anyway so as to fit in with my weekly schedule, I always commit to my LP's till the end, win or lose.

I like the music for sure even though it's not quite a fluent & smooth transition from track to track at times.

Oh aye that's fine, it was just a thought
    Okay, that's fine by me. But i am not sure if i will finish it in the next update - i might save Alba and Gwynedd for later in the future as i wanna focus on other mods. I was done just now with the settlements though and they work fine. I am saving the backup now before attempting to add the new Munster-roster -as i can't stand clone-armies. I also thought most units were too vanilla in that roster. Gwynedd will at least be rid of the units they share with Alba.

Yes, the reason the music is cut is because i don't want to include full tracks - DBM had longer versions of most songs but i decided to shorten them down.

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Okay, that's fine by me. But i am not sure if i will finish it in the next update - i might save Alba and Gwynedd for later in the future as i wanna focus on other mods. I was done just now with the settlements though and they work fine. I am saving the backup now before attempting to add the new Munster-roster -as i can't stand clone-armies. I also thought most units were too vanilla in that roster. Gwynedd will at least be rid of the units they share with Alba..
    Aha Northumbria it is then...Arise King Uhtred!!!...The Last Kingdom: series 2 starts in the UK this week ironically

Aha Northumbria it is then...Arise King Uhtred!!!...The Last Kingdom: series 2 starts in the UK this week ironically
    I just played for four or five hours as Gwynedd and it was EPIC! The music is so great in their homeland. Even though their roster sucks they still were fun to play as. I was fighting Mercia and rebels simultaneously when Northumbria attacked me from the North. I managed to beat them back and still go forward against the rebels and Mercia. Then the Vikings spawned and attacked everyone. But i beat them back also. I had one great and epic battle over a settlement (custom settlement) and it took the lives of 95% of my army and 100% of Mercias.

No matter how many areas one took they always seemed to have more. That was until the Danes arrived close to turn 26 or so. At first they did me a service by conquering all but one Mercian settlement - but then they atacked me also. I managed to win a battle against them on the field, then lost against Mercia with the same army because Mercia attacked me from behind when my army was away fighting the Danes - and my army had to get back in a hurry. But they were too weakened after the big victory against one of the Danes many armies.

Anyway, the game wasn't over but i realized the AI can't attack a certain city because it is located down a hill. I will need to replace the roman city used by Saxons because it's no fun if the AI get stuck.

But i must say it's non-stop action - and the custom settlements make it much harder to win against the AI. At least the ones on a hill. I could release a new version with the settlements only, but that wouldn't give much content for a new article - therefore i think i will go for the rosters also before i release it. I just need to change that particular settlement, and then replace some units and balance them - then insert them into the campaign.

I do think Gwynedd has the most epic music when playing as them. It just fit so well with this game.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; March 07, 2017 at 04:40 PM.

- The Havamal

I heard it would start march the 16th for the rest of the world - including the States. That's cool for Britain to get it first, which makes sense in a way. I like that series as well as the series Vikings. What i like more about TLK is the brutal portrayal of the Vikings - as they were not feminist "it's wrong to rape" kind of people.. Also, i like the fact Vikings are using helmets in The Last Kingdom.

However- i do think Vikings has a better focus on the characters long-term and you get more connected to them because there is much more build-up. Both series are very good in my opinion but could borrow more from one another. Like Vikings making their vikings less of good guys and more brutal - as well as giving them their helmets. And The Last Kingdom giving uss more of a character build-up, as well as possibly a little more Viking culture.

- The Havamal

I heard it would start march the 16th for the rest of the world - including the States.
    Apologies, I picked it up wrongly from the trailer, the series starts in the UK 16th March too.

I like that series as well as the series Vikings. What i like more about TLK is the brutal portrayal of the Vikings - as they were not feminist "it's wrong to rape" kind of people.. Also, i like the fact Vikings are using helmets in The Last Kingdom.

However- i do think Vikings has a better focus on the characters long-term and you get more connected to them because there is much more build-up. Both series are very good in my opinion but could borrow more from one another. Like Vikings making their vikings less of good guys and more brutal - as well as giving them their helmets. And The Last Kingdom giving us more of a character build-up, as well as possibly a little more Viking culture.
    Aye this is true, I'm in agreement with you there.

@ Mr_Nygren I aim to start my WotN Let's Play in the coming two weeks, I'm still hopeful you will have completed v3.8 by then but if not no worries, thanks again for your submod. I have put a trailer up on youtube for the coming LP and have highlighted your involvement. Good luck with your other projects too. here is the link for the trailer, nothing elaborate, it's more to inform my subscribers. https://youtu.be/q2Ch5i74JWo

@ Mr_Nygren I aim to start my WotN Let's Play in the coming two weeks, I'm still hopeful you will have completed v3.8 by then but if not no worries, thanks again for your submod. I have put a trailer up on youtube for the coming LP and have highlighted your involvement. Good luck with your other projects too. here is the link for the trailer, nothing elaborate, it's more to inform my subscribers. https://youtu.be/q2Ch5i74JWo
    I was very close to releasing the custom settlements as a stand-alone patch two weeks ago, but i decided against it in the end - and now i have done changes which makes the descr_strat non-compatible with started let's plays anyway. The custom settlements would have been compatible with already on-going campaigns.

Anyway, i have done some work on this mod such as letting Mercia and East Anglia start with the Northumbrian basic and medium troops instead of the old TLK-ones. This way i am making sure the old models are more rare and the new ones more common. I've also given Mercia three new unique units and East Anglia two. More will be added and i am still not sure if Wessex will get any changes.

Gwynedd has an entire roster just waiting to be implemented also. While Munster still needs a suitable roster - and Alba would also need suitable units. While i may have found perfect units for the Irish i can't use them because of permission-issues - and others that i can use i am not sure are of high enough quality.

I will insert everything in the game, balance the rosters, write new descriptions, names and finish the UI and then i'll just add everything to the campaign. It will take like two days to do most of it but as i am a little lazy from time to time we'll see when it's ready. I had hoped to be done today but unfortunately i wasted like three days. Some days i just don't get anything done, and other days i can get alot finished on short notice - but i hope i am done in time.

Nice trailer, gonna take a look at it.

- The Havamal

I fear 1.8 will not be done in time.. But i'll send you my backup of the mod from march 9 where i have implemented the custom settlements into the mod.

That way you get the settlements at least.

- The Havamal

I fear 1.8 will not be done in time.. But i'll send you my backup of the mod from march 9 where i have implemented the custom settlements into the mod.

That way you get the settlements at least.
    Thanks, those customs are awesome, long siege battles if there is a half decent garrison to defend them, I don't necessarily mean large numbers or even good quality units. Magnificent work

Thanks, those customs are awesome, long siege battles if there is a half decent garrison to defend them, I don't necessarily mean large numbers or even good quality units. Magnificent work
    Yep, most of them are the work of the creator of DBM - but a few have been re-textured i believe by the EoR-team. I implemented them but didn't create them. The gameplay became soo much better because those settlements fit barbarians/Vikings and their war-style perfectly (large areas where many foot-soldiers can be).

Btw, i sat for like 17h or something just now working on this mod. Let's just say Gwynedd has an entire new roster. But it still needs balancing and implementation into the campaign. It's currently unbalanced and only available in custom battles. I have also began work on increasing the units of Mercia, East Anglia, Denmark and Wessex. Mercia and East Anglia will as stated above now have mostly the same roster as Northumbria - but a few unique units. While Denmark gets new units and Wessex possibly will get almost an entire roster - keeping only the bad-ass units of the old roster. The bad quality old units will still be mercs on the campaign.

As for the Irish i have added one unit to both - but i aim to add an entire roster for one of them. The Normans won't get anything new as i aim to use the Norman roster of TGC whenever it's released - but until then, the plan is to enhance their gameplay a little. I expect to not be finished until at least half of this month has gone by - but some great progress is being made right now.

As you know the custom settlements increased the size of the mod from 1.74GB to 2.07GB i believe? My recent version is currently at 2.12gb in size and it will only get bigger. Btw, many units of the Gwynedd-roster were not in use before - they are upgraded units used by IB2 since before. I got access to the folder with the RomanoBritons so i have used every unused file there was in there.

Edit:

Some pictures (the unit portraits will be replaced later with better ones, as the units doesn't always have the same textures in use when in battle, as those seen in the pictures):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2017-04-02 22-28-54-300.jpg   kingdoms 2017-04-02 22-29-45-897.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 02, 2017 at 03:35 PM.

- The Havamal

Btw, i sat for like 17h or something just now working on this mod. Let's just say Gwynedd has an entire new roster. But it still needs balancing and implementation into the campaign. It's currently unbalanced and only available in custom battles. I have also began work on increasing the units of Mercia, East Anglia, Denmark and Wessex. Mercia and East Anglia will as stated above now have mostly the same roster as Northumbria - but a few unique units. While Denmark gets new units and Wessex possibly will get almost an entire roster - keeping only the bad-ass units of the old roster. The bad quality old units will still be mercs on the campaign.

As for the Irish i have added one unit to both - but i aim to add an entire roster for one of them. - but until then, the plan is to enhance their gameplay a little. I expect to not be finished until at least half of this month has gone by - but some great progress is being made right now.
    I decided I will wait until you have done all this before I start my Let's Play, I'm quite excited at the prospect and I really want show your submod in it's best light.

The Normans won't get anything new as i aim to use the Norman roster of TGC whenever it's released
    Is this the one by Tartaros and team? I was in dialogue with him a few weeks ago and got the impression TGC would not be finished for some time. He is going to give me the "heads up" when it's ready so I can do a Let's Play of that too. I know there are much bigger more popular channels than mine, but I want to help "promote" in my small way, the work you guys do for the gaming public, it's sort of my way of saying thanks for giving me hours & hours of enjoyment

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

hi mr nygren, are you sure to use the late-roman units of IB Conquestus Britanniae for the Gwynedd-roster? these troops belong to a much earlier timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapio View Post
    hi mr nygren, are you sure to use the late-roman units of IB Conquestus Britanniae for the Gwynedd-roster? these troops belong to a much earlier timeframe.
    I am not using any of the IB2-Roman (as in Rome Total War/Arthurian Total War) styled units for Gwynedd. The units for Gwynedd are only the units made by Absinthia, originally made for a Dark Age-mod called VLL (Vacus Luc Lucis) that was never finished but released as a sub-folder resource here on the forum in the WotN developers thread. It was set between the years 620 AD. initially ending in 1065. WotN starts in 793 and ends in 1059 i think, and TLK starts a little later in 872 and ends around the same time as both the other mods. Unfortunately VLL was lost when Megaupload was taken down, as Absinthias backup-folder also crashed some time later.

The units i am using are only those RomanoBriton units from the mod VLL- using files i found both in IB2 and from the RomanoBriton-folder released by Absinthia in the "Armory"-thread in resources. It was also gone originally, but i found a user "Paleologos" in a thread who showed a picture of one of the units asking where it came from back in 2014. It seemed he still had the folder and i got it from him and re-uploaded it.

What is the difference between the files in IB2 and the files in the RomanoBriton-folder? I would say the files Paleologos sent me included some unique textures which has been enhanced graphically and do have a higher resolution. Fact is when i tried to add the Guened-attachmentset for some of those units taken from IB2 they did become a mess. Therefore i use no textures from IB2 for any of the meshes in the RomanoBriton-folder. But they are the same units with enhanced resolution and other textures.

To be honest i took a little from both, as IB2 CB did use some of Absinthias work - but for the most part i used enhanced textures to meshes taken from both places. I tried to only take meshes from the RB-folder but in some instances they weren't working properly and it seemed a blend in with the meshes from IB2CB worked better.

The good news is i managed to fully implement unique unit upgrades for most units from IB2CB (they were also in the folder) by using files from both places. More finished meshes from IB2CB and new textures from the RB-folder. The VLL-mod seems lost but it was originally a mod set in the British isles - and even though that mod started in the 600's it ended around the same time as both TLK and WotN - so i think Absinthias Romano Briton units do work perfectly.

But maybe some of the "Roman Britons" with the description "Romans still left in Britain" etc will only be included in custom battles. But most units like the Saethwyr etc will fit as excellent new models for old units. Also, the point is to have Gwynedd start with villages, towns and large towns in the same style as Alba has - but then if you manage to survive you could restore Lloegyr to it's full glory. At least all of Gwynedds settlements - including those conquered by the saxons at the start - will be able to be fully restored to former glory. And i am thinking of making bad-ass Romano-Briton units only available for recruitment after you have reached at least city-level.

Maybe Lloeger will rise and become Welsh once more, or Romano-Welsh.

Edit: The portraits are from IB2CB currently, but most of the units will need new portraits as they don't show their current textures - only like four to fve units show the right textures on their unit portraits. At least the portraits i borrowed are better than unlocalized placement-stuff.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 03, 2017 at 09:06 AM.

- The Havamal

I decided I will wait until you have done all this before I start my Let's Play, I'm quite excited at the prospect and I really want show your submod in it's best light.

Is this the one by Tartaros and team? I was in dialogue with him a few weeks ago and got the impression TGC would not be finished for some time. He is going to give me the "heads up" when it's ready so I can do a Let's Play of that too. I know there are much bigger more popular channels than mine, but I want to help "promote" in my small way, the work you guys do for the gaming public, it's sort of my way of saying thanks for giving me hours & hours of enjoyment
    That's fine - but it will take at least half this month and possibly a little while longer - it all depends on how much i finish the coming days and weeks.

Gonna balance the roster and finish the Saxon-rosters next - then the Irish. As for Alba they will re-use most of their roster but will possibly get a few new units. Gwynedd did share the absolute majority of their units with Alba previously, and the unique units were not very special in all honesty. Now Alba will be the only faction to use most of those units.

Yes, i was talking about "The Great Conflicts"-mod. They have a Norman and a Magyar-roster which could be used by both WotN: Grand Campaign and this mod. But we'll see about that - they have stated most units will be available for use after they have released their mod. But as i want the next version released this month i won't really add anything which makes it non-legit to publicise. Therefore i choose not to include units that will slow down the release-date. Including their work now would mean i'd have to w8 until TGC is released and i don't wanna wait.

It's great with Let's Plays - makes people aware of the mods.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; April 03, 2017 at 12:32 PM.

- The Havamal

Hi Mr_Nygren ! Can u host mod on onther site them moddb ?

Quote Originally Posted by preussen6 View Post
    Hi Mr_Nygren ! Can u host mod on onther site them moddb ?
    I prefer not to - why would you want that?

I could send individuals links to other sites such as google drive or dropbox - but that is only if it doesn't work for you any other way. I like to see how many downloads and how popular each release has or becomes.

- The Havamal

I don't why but I have 10 h of downloading from moddb, only with this mod.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast