Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod! (4.5 released as of 2022-04-20)

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Default Re: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod! (3.8 released)

I have decided to record some videos as custom battles are now ready.

- Kingdom of Northumbria (new/updated) VS Kingdom of Wessex (Updated):

"The new remade video of the battle between the Kingdom of Northumbria and the Kingdom of Wessex, now with new units and horses plus using my gaming computer that was broken in february when i released the first version of my submod with the first version of this battle as a prview video - this time it has much better quality and Bandicam isn't trial version neither which means long videos longer han ten min.Enjoy! I've decided, as the factions are balanced and custom battles are ready - that i will preview some battles before finishing the mod. I just feel like it."

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    I have decided to record some videos as custom battles are now ready.

- Kingdom of Northumbria (new/updated) VS Kingdom of Wessex (Updated):
    Fantastic, you have excelled yourself young man
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

- Kingdom of Mercia (New) vs the Kingdom of East-Anglia (New).

"Here is another battle of the new Mercia and East-Anglia rosters - using the same base-troops as Northumbria but with their own four uniques."

Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

- Kingdom of Alba (6 new units + the old roster) VS the Jarldom of Vestfold (same as in WotN: The Baltic now):

"
    The Kingdom of Alba VS the Jarldom of Vestfold - Alba has it's old roster plus six completely new units, and some old welsh mercenary units - and Vestfold has lost it's Swedish units from the previous release and has now the very same roster as in WotN: The Baltic."

- The Havamal

- Kingdom of Connacht (old) VS the Ui Néill (new roster and faction):

"The old army of Connacht is fighting the new faction of Ui Néill - which is using the units originally planed to be added as new units for Connacht - instead i choose to keep the old roster for Connacht and add the new units as the units for the new faction."

- Kingdom of Denmark (updated - six new units) VS the Jarldom of Gautland (New faction, using the Swedish units):

"
    The Kingdom of Denmark is fighting the Jarldom of Gautland - a new faction using the norse basic troops, and the Svitjod and Gautlandish elites already in use previously in custom battles by Vestfold and Hordaland.- Denmark has six new units, and they have been implemented from Call of Warhammer with permission - and are retextured to fit in Denmarks roster - plus have been edited in MS3d so all the Warhammer symbols and horned helmets have been removed."

- The Havamal

-
    - Kingdom of Denmark (updated - six new units) VS the Jarldom of Gautland (New faction, using the Swedish units):

Was there really that much armour worn in the Viking era? I know they did wear it, though the accounts are about mail being a high status gift for service, there were also examples of Lamellar when scale armour was rejected because it was ancient and ineffective, I remember reading about it. The main items would be a helmet, a shield, a knife and a spear or axe and padded gambesons would probably be more often worn to help reduce the impact of a blow, as using a round shield provided a big protective advantage that made armour less important when fighting in a shield wall, they also almost sailed everywhere and anything that hinders swimming would be a bad idea. I know as more and more battles took place within England and France that the selection of helmets and armour would improve, the same when Jarls and Kings started to sponsor larger raiding fleets, looking to settle in new lands, there would be an increase in better equipment, is this what you are portraying?
    (it's the one thing the Vikings series doesn't project very well) Once again, fantastic work, looking forward to the release so I can finally LP this terrific submod and help you get it out to the public

Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 13, 2017 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post

Was there really that much armour worn in the Viking era? I know they did wear it, though the accounts are about mail being a high status gift for service, there were also examples of Lamellar when scale armour was rejected because it was ancient and ineffective, I remember reading about it. The main items would be a helmet, a shield, a knife and a spear or axe and padded gambesons would probably be more often worn to help reduce the impact of a blow, as using a round shield provided a big protective advantage that made armour less important when fighting in a shield wall, they also almost sailed everywhere and anything that hinders swimming would be a bad idea. I know as more and more battles took place within England and France that the selection of helmets and armour would improve, the same when Jarls and Kings started to sponsor larger raiding fleets, looking to settle in new lands, there would be an increase in better equipment, is this what you are portraying?
    (it's the one thing the Vikings series doesn't project very well) Once again, fantastic work, looking forward to the release so I can finally LP this terrific submod and help you get it out to the public

Actually, only the elite units such as the Jarls, Huscarls, Hirmenn etc had heavy armour in the early Viking Age period. However, due to the TLK old rosters being based off on Hollywood and not on history - i thought it fiting to add cool new units to the Denmark roster. Of course Norscan Warhammer units are all heavy armoured even though that's not very accurate. One of the units is a huscarl though - but bonds should probably not be heavies in real life. And there were no other females.

- The WotN units are more accurate to history.

It can't be helped because the old roster needed improvement, and i am not the creator of the models - i implement models, or change textures or parts such as removing the Norscan horns from their helmets.

So i have to use whatever is available - i do all of the coding and text-work on this submod though.

Final videos are now ready so i guess i'll need to fix some descriptions and names that will be wrong for some of the units in the videos. And then finish off the campaign files.

- East Frankish Empire and Normandy is fighting the Magyars :

"The East Frankish Empire (updated roster - has lost five units from the previous version to the West Frankish Empire) & and the Normans of Normandy (old roster) are fighting the Magyars (Updated - has two new dismounted archers)."

- Kingdom of Munster VS the Jarldom of Hordaland:

"
    The Kingdom of Munster is fighting the Jarldom of Hordaland - Munster has a completely new roster, and Hordaland has lost it's Swedish units in favour of Norse ones shared with Vestfold - it is now using the same roster as in WotN: The Baltic."

Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 14, 2017 at 12:13 AM.

- The Havamal

Actually, only the elite units such as the Jarls, Huscarls, Hirmenn etc had heavy armour in the early Viking Age period. However, due to the TLK old rosters being based off on Hollywood and not on history - i thought it fiting to add cool new units to the Denmark roster. Of course Norscan Warhammer units are all heavy armoured even though that's not very accurate. One of the units is a huscarl though - but bonds should probably not be heavies in real life. And there were no other females.

- The WotN units are more accurate to history.

It can't be helped because the old roster needed improvement, and i am not the creator of the models - i implement models, or change textures or parts such as removing the Norscan horns from their helmets.

So i have to use whatever is available - i do all of the coding and text-work on this submod though.

Final videos are now ready so i guess i'll need to fix some descriptions and names that will be wrong for some of the units in the videos. And then finish off the campaign files.
    Ahh I see, that explains everything, I was not sure how much involvement you had with the original, but still, congrats on what you have done, it certainly hits the "eye candy" button

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Ahh I see, that explains everything, I was not sure how much involvement you had with the original, but still, congrats on what you have done, it certainly hits the "eye candy" button
    I had zero involvement with the original, i have only been involved with the submod this tread is about - and Wrath of the Norsemen since 2016.

Edit: Thanks, yeah i thought a merge between WotN and TLK would be awesome - the WotN units are better but the TLK mod is slightly more worked on and more interesting as it involves more interesting places than WotN.

- WotN has a certain atmosphere though.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 14, 2017 at 04:16 AM.

- The Havamal

Centenarius

Good job Mr_Nygren
    Temporarily retired from modding.

Thanks, been working on the descr_strat but unfortunately things took longer than expected due to the rebel stacks needing new units also - plus i did playtest alot after each faction had it's new units added to the starting armies.

- EDB after, then the update to the expanded.txt and after that new splash-screen and elite unit pictures.

- Then i will look into garrision scripts and squalor but i may not add those changes - depending on how troublesome it is to do.

Then i will send you guys the update and playtest during saturday or sunday.

- Official release will probably come on sunday or monday.

- The Havamal

Mod is delayed a little, due to me being on a burial of a family member the entire saturday - i thought it would take a few hours but it took the entire day.

And today i have been sleeping most of the day..

- So expect a one or two days of work still.

- The Havamal

Default Re: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod!

Hello, didn't get alot done the past week even though i have made a few more things since the last update. I thought i should write a list of things that needs to be done and then i just have to write "- DONE" for each step as i finish it and edit this post.

Here is the plan:

1. Finish adding of all the rosters including new rosters or individual units for Gwynedd, Mercia, Northumbria, Wessex, Denmark, Alba, Magyars, East Anglia, , Ui Néill. Munster and Connacht - DONE!

2. Balance all the new rosters/units. - DONE!

3. Add new portraits to most of the new units - DONE!

4. Add all the new rosters and units to the campaign - DONE!

4.2 Add regional recruitment between the two Irish factions and between the new rosters of the Saxons. - DONE!

5. Fix new starting alliances for the Irish, Scottish and Vestfold/Hordaland. - DONE!

6. Fix new victory conditions for the Irish, Scottish and Vestfold/Hordaland. - DONE!

7. Add the best tracks from the Arthurian Total War Briton music to Gwynedd. - DONE!

8. Fix obsolete unit descriptions, faction descriptions, faction elite unit portraits etc. - DONE! (Anyone wanting more accurate names o descriptions? Add them yourselves later.. - I don't particularly care about text very much).

9. Add garrision scripts for two of Gwynedds units. - (Possible change, might not be done).

10. Fix scualor for the Magyars. - (Possible change, might not be done).

11. Add new menu backgrounds possibly or at least add a new number to it, as well as possibly replacing the start menu music.

12. Add West Francia to both custom battles and the campaign. - DONE!

13. Add Gautland to both custom battles and the campaign. - DONE!

14. Add new units to descr_rebel_factions.

15. Playtest the campaign and release it - (Last thing to do.)
    As you can see, most is now done - the rebels file and some gameplay features remaining - then playtesting.

- The Havamal

I am quite happy with how the mod plays it out playing as the rebels. At first i had to change the win conditions for Denmark in order for them to focus on the British isles - they couldn't have beating Sicily/Gautland as a goal because then their main focus would be on crushing Gautland. - Instead Gautland has the goal of defeating Denmark, while Denmark has the goal of beating the Saxons.

- This resulted in a much better priority by the Denmark AI.

No crashes for 101 turns, and i would think it's stable like before but will test some more before uploading.

However, it's about time i send the mod to WarcraftHero and the other guy - only need to replace some pictures and text first.

I suck at working with pictures, so if anyone wanna help out by replacing the 3.7 with 3.9 that would be great - on the splashscreen i mean. Last time my sister helped out with that but i have a conflict with her since a few months back..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2017-12-18 16-32-54-855.jpg   kingdoms 2017-12-18 16-33-14-755.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 18, 2017 at 09:40 AM.

- The Havamal

New version sent to WarcraftHero and SoulTyre - i didn't bother creating new "elite unit" portraits but besides that everything is done. Some outdated text may still exist because i did not bother replacing all the text.

- Gameplay stuff and playing is what matters to me. Anyone is free to fix the other stuff if they want to.

Gonna write an article, maybe playtest some more and then upload the mod at moddb for everyone.

- The Havamal

Due to bad internet in the school, the mod never stops loading after clicking "Save Download" at MODDB - i will have to get home before i can upload the mod.

Article is currently awaiting authorization.

- Google Drive worked fine, but i want people to download from MODDB - trying to upload throught Google Drive takes forever unfortunately.

Edit: The problem is the county network, stating "harmful code found" when trying to upload the mod..

God, i hate their censorship on every site.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot 2017-12-18 19.42.46.png  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; December 18, 2017 at 12:46 PM.

- The Havamal

- The Havamal

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod! (3.9 released)

Just finished watching the latest episode of Vikings and as is often the case it inspired me to play the Last Kingdom. So glad to see you have continued your work. I was considering tweaking the original Last Kingdoms mod myself to better suit my needs, since the original needed some balancing imho. Hopefully thnx to your work I can actually play instead of modding, often I spend so much time modifying that by the time I am done I have lost the urge to play the mod itself lol

achwell's Avatar Biarchus

Hi congratulations with you work, i have a question is it possible to play both the origenal and your submod ? If so how can do this ? How do i install both and play them
    thanks

I am kinda disappointed in my article getting replaced by some competition article just two hours after it was made public...

Elder Scrolls got to shine for two whole weeks. It sucks..

I Will not release Warcraft during decembre because of this.

- The Havamal