Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod! (4.5 released as of 2022-04-20)

vrend1ni's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: "The Last Kingdom: Wrath of the Norsemen" -Submod!

Hi there. thanks for the mod, Really enjoying it! Best mod for twm2 imo.
    The first faction I tried was Northumbria but it was very hard to manage, expansion and production was very slow so I dropped it and started anew.

Now I'm currently playing 3 factions on different days.
    Monday to Wednesday = Gwynedd
    Thursday to Friday = Denmark
    Weekends = Vestfold
    I wanna share my experience and current journey on the game.

I am almost done with the Victory Conditions on Denmark, I feel its the easiest faction to use and quite OP because East-Anglia and Northumbria is quite weak unlike Mercia and Wessex. I am now in turn 47 and have conquered East-Anglia->Mercia->Wessex. Northumbria is my current foe and the East-Franks that are invading my mainland after Ragnar conquered Paris and he died after it at age 59. Then the franks launched full scale attacks on my mainland which is not yet that strong because I focused on the invasion of the english kingdoms. Also Wessex was quite strong and I just got lucky to snag their cities in surprise tactics like hiding an army in the river between Reading and Winchester, Lundene and Selsey, Colceaster and Hrofesceaster until they were cornered in their western settlements. Gwynedd was pretty passive and we never had any conflict. It seems as Denmark and you conquer Mercian Territory, Gwynedd won't do anything at all in the game if you just let them be without waging war against them. If they were active I would have had a hard time fighting Wessex. And northumbria only attacks 1 settlement that I took from Mercia which is 'Ceaster'. Northumbria doesn't even attack my near settlements to their territory which are 'Lincoln', Leiceaster and Tamworth'. But overall I enjoy fighting with Wessex. Maybe Northumbria was busy against the scots but I don't know why Gwynedd hasn't launched any attacks on me. Their Military Power is always 'Pathetic' in faction statistics even though no one is attacking them. XD But they have 5 full stacked armies standing in our border 'Mathrafal <-> Tamworth. So I think maybe they are not programmed to attack former Mercia Area conquered by Denmark.

I like Gwynedd the most because of its Great Advantage with the Skilled Archers, the AI in Very Hard difficulty dunno how to correctly outplay gwynedds archers so before they can charge in, with proper shield wall and 10 stacks of archers the enemies morale drop by 30-40% already. Idk about normans/franks and magyars deal with gwynedds archers with their cavalry but so far I think gwynedd is the most OP faction using one trick via 10 stacks of Celtic Noble Shieldwall and 10 stacks of Saethwyr Archers. Almost all factions in Britain have low cavalry so even if the infantry get close to the archers with skirmish mode activated they can do a successful hit-and-run with only 5-15% casualties. Unless the Infantry movement speed is quite fast and have good defense. Mostly the Skirmishers can get close and throw them javelins but they are pretty vulnerable to missiles so it is a mismatch. So unless theres a Faction in Britain that have decent Cavalry production, Gwynedd is the strongest of them all.

I enjoy my weekends the most because of Vestfold. I tried it recently because the Loading Display Messages mostly showcase Harald Fairhair's Saga.
    Its quite challenging and I sacrificed my Scotland starting settlements and migrated the 2 armies to sail back to norway to destroy Holdaland. The Tax rate on the starting scotland settlement is very low due to the long gap from the capital so I thought it was not worth it to focus on scotland when the Holdaland Primary settlements only have King Eirik and his heir. So I conquered those asap and I think Holdaland at Dublin
    and Munster destroyed the Connach Faction. But I am regretting that move and started again. This time I sacrificed my scotland primary settlement and sailed the 2 armies to Dublin and conquered it. Reason for this strategy is the Gold bars in Iceland. I notice its hard to make 2 merchants if a faction doesn't have a Huge City the 2nd Merchant structure required cobbed roads that can only be built on a city. So taking Dublin which is a starting city for Holdaland was my choice to make 2 merchants asap and making them stand on those 2 gold bar areas in Iceland which gave me lowest 880 to highest 1800 financial boost. I haven't tried to conquer Iceland and maybe make Mining Networks on those Gold Bars for more profit. But anyways thats the strategy I took up in my Vestfold campaign. Now I am having a good fight with Hordaland's King Eirik and slowly conquering the eastern Norse Rebel settlements and holding Dublin. Connach is losing to Munster and so far Munster is not so aggressive due to a war with Connach so Dublin is pretty okay.

I Saw you have updated their portraits specially in gwynedd, will there be a new downloadable patch for it? They look very nice. Goodjob

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

Quote Originally Posted by vrend1ni View Post
    Hi there. thanks for the mod, Really enjoying it! Best mod for twm2 imo.
    The first faction I tried was Northumbria but it was very hard to manage, expansion and production was very slow so I dropped it and started anew.

Now I'm currently playing 3 factions on different days.
    Monday to Wednesday = Gwynedd
    Thursday to Friday = Denmark
    Weekends = Vestfold
    I wanna share my experience and current journey on the game.

I am almost done with the Victory Conditions on Denmark, I feel its the easiest faction to use and quite OP because East-Anglia and Northumbria is quite weak unlike Mercia and Wessex. I am now in turn 47 and have conquered East-Anglia->Mercia->Wessex. Northumbria is my current foe and the East-Franks that are invading my mainland after Ragnar conquered Paris and he died after it at age 59. Then the franks launched full scale attacks on my mainland which is not yet that strong because I focused on the invasion of the english kingdoms. Also Wessex was quite strong and I just got lucky to snag their cities in surprise tactics like hiding an army in the river between Reading and Winchester, Lundene and Selsey, Colceaster and Hrofesceaster until they were cornered in their western settlements. Gwynedd was pretty passive and we never had any conflict. It seems as Denmark and you conquer Mercian Territory, Gwynedd won't do anything at all in the game if you just let them be without waging war against them. If they were active I would have had a hard time fighting Wessex. And northumbria only attacks 1 settlement that I took from Mercia which is 'Ceaster'. Northumbria doesn't even attack my near settlements to their territory which are 'Lincoln', Leiceaster and Tamworth'. But overall I enjoy fighting with Wessex. Maybe Northumbria was busy against the scots but I don't know why Gwynedd hasn't launched any attacks on me. Their Military Power is always 'Pathetic' in faction statistics even though no one is attacking them. XD But they have 5 full stacked armies standing in our border 'Mathrafal <-> Tamworth. So I think maybe they are not programmed to attack former Mercia Area conquered by Denmark.

I like Gwynedd the most because of its Great Advantage with the Skilled Archers, the AI in Very Hard difficulty dunno how to correctly outplay gwynedds archers so before they can charge in, with proper shield wall and 10 stacks of archers the enemies morale drop by 30-40% already. Idk about normans/franks and magyars deal with gwynedds archers with their cavalry but so far I think gwynedd is the most OP faction using one trick via 10 stacks of Celtic Noble Shieldwall and 10 stacks of Saethwyr Archers. Almost all factions in Britain have low cavalry so even if the infantry get close to the archers with skirmish mode activated they can do a successful hit-and-run with only 5-15% casualties. Unless the Infantry movement speed is quite fast and have good defense. Mostly the Skirmishers can get close and throw them javelins but they are pretty vulnerable to missiles so it is a mismatch. So unless theres a Faction in Britain that have decent Cavalry production, Gwynedd is the strongest of them all.

I enjoy my weekends the most because of Vestfold. I tried it recently because the Loading Display Messages mostly showcase Harald Fairhair's Saga.
    Its quite challenging and I sacrificed my Scotland starting settlements and migrated the 2 armies to sail back to norway to destroy Holdaland. The Tax rate on the starting scotland settlement is very low due to the long gap from the capital so I thought it was not worth it to focus on scotland when the Holdaland Primary settlements only have King Eirik and his heir. So I conquered those asap and I think Holdaland at Dublin
    and Munster destroyed the Connach Faction. But I am regretting that move and started again. This time I sacrificed my scotland primary settlement and sailed the 2 armies to Dublin and conquered it. Reason for this strategy is the Gold bars in Iceland. I notice its hard to make 2 merchants if a faction doesn't have a Huge City the 2nd Merchant structure required cobbed roads that can only be built on a city. So taking Dublin which is a starting city for Holdaland was my choice to make 2 merchants asap and making them stand on those 2 gold bar areas in Iceland which gave me lowest 880 to highest 1800 financial boost. I haven't tried to conquer Iceland and maybe make Mining Networks on those Gold Bars for more profit. But anyways thats the strategy I took up in my Vestfold campaign. Now I am having a good fight with Hordaland's King Eirik and slowly conquering the eastern Norse Rebel settlements and holding Dublin. Connach is losing to Munster and so far Munster is not so aggressive due to a war with Connach so Dublin is pretty okay.

I Saw you have updated their portraits specially in gwynedd, will there be a new downloadable patch for it? They look very nice. Goodjob
    Hey there, thanks for your enthusiasm and i really appreciate everything you wrote down.

As for the Gwynedd faction they did conquer some provinces from Mercia and Northumbria when i playtested the mod. I think the AI only attacks weaker factions or factions that are stronger but have many enemies at the same time. They never attack if they "feel" weaker. That may be the cause of why Gwynedd won't attack you.

There will be more than a simple patch - there will be a full new version! And the Gwynedd faction has a completely new roster as i didn't like the old one. I thought the units weren't cool enough. It will be finished and released this summer, and as you are a fan of the current version i may as well give you a special version in preparation for the next one - with custom settlements. It's from march the 6th or 9th and unreleased - but two persons have gotten it already. The coming release will not only have that - but will also include many new rosters/units and changed gameplay for some factions (minor changes to improve it).
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Nygren View Post
    There will be more than a simple patch - there will be a full new version! And the Gwynedd faction has a completely new roster as i didn't like the old one. I thought the units weren't cool enough. It will be finished and released this summer, and as you are a fan of the current version i may as well give you a special version in preparation for the next one - with custom settlements. It's from march the 6th or 9th and unreleased - but two persons have gotten it already. The coming release will not only have that - but will also include many new rosters/units and changed gameplay for some factions (minor changes to improve it).
    Hey Mr_Nygren, hope all is well with you. I'm looking forward to at last be able to LP this, some of my "friends" on facebook and also my channel have been giving me some humorous grief by sending me pm's wanting to know when I will start playing Wrath of the Norsemen
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    Hey Mr_Nygren, hope all is well with you. I'm looking forward to at last be able to LP this, some of my "friends" on facebook and also my channel have been giving me some humorous grief by sending me pm's wanting to know when I will start playing Wrath of the Norsemen
    Hey man, sorry for not being finished already. Warcraft and Game of Thrones has been my focus recently - however i did some work a couple of weeks ago on this. I am almost done with the new Kingdom of Denmark roster, then i will be very hastily done with the Magyars (they get like three new units), Alba (they get a few new units as well) and Connacht (they also get a few new ones).

Munster will take a little longer as their whole roster is being replaced.

Then it's just gameplay changes, some pictures and game testing left to do.

When i am done with GoT this month or the next one i will continue the TLK-project. Possibly i can work on it sooner than that. But i'll also need to focus on Warcraft and implement units there.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

When i am done with GoT this month or the next one i will continue the TLK-project. Possibly i can work on it sooner than that. But i'll also need to focus on Warcraft and implement units there.
    No worries
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Hello, i will be finished with the GoT:TW around the premiere of Game of Thrones season 7.

Then after that i will finish this mod, first completing everything i've written before that i should do.

BUT - i realized there are a huge amount of unused faction slots.

Expect at least the Western Frankish Empire and Gautland to be added - as all their units are currently inside of the mod anyway.

If we are lucky we may as well get new viking or saxon units made by VltimaRatio - the modeller of Game of Thrones Total War!

No matter what, i believe Gautland will be included - and they will have all the Svitjod troops as well. Because Svitjod was basically under the command of Ragnar Lodbrokk, who was the crown Prince of Svitjod - and he then conquered Denmark and became the leader of both Denmark and Svitjod.

So Ragnar is the Jarl of both Denmark and Svitjod - therefore the Swedish units are all Gautlands to start out with. - It would be a shame for the rebels to be the only ones with the Swedish units at the start. Letting Gautland be it's own faction will also make things more interesting in scandinavia.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kingdoms 2017-07-06 19-49-25-144.jpg  
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; July 06, 2017 at 12:59 PM.

- The Havamal

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Always been one of my favorite mods.. never expected any more releases honestly. Thank you! Downloading now.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrath View Post
    Always been one of my favorite mods.. never expected any more releases honestly. Thank you! Downloading now.
    There is a new much improved version on it´s way. It has custom settlements and more new units for other factions.

- The Havamal

Version 1.08 released as an update to the old 1.079 version without bothering to create a new article or add a new upload for it:

Updated july the 23, i suggest everyone to download this version when you read this - it adds the custom settlements to the mod, as i figured now that WotN has them - this mod should too! People might want to play with them instead of with vanilla settlements. So, this is now 3.08, but it doesn't have new units or new rosters - that will be 3.09 or 4.0.

Version 3.08 final release of this old upload (23 july 2017)
    - all custom settlements added to the mod, and includes a few more than in WotN: The Baltic - also has all the "Barbarian/Viking" buildable buildings implemented unlike WotN where i didn't bother to include more than the viking temples and longhouses.

Article:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-k...xpansion-v-307

Download:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-last-k...on-submod-v307

- The Havamal

Very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Mamlaz View Post
    Very nice
    Thanks - the real update with new rosters and/or units will probably come before the end of august.

- The Havamal

Love the effort you put in this mod. Big thanks to you. There are a lot of people who admire viking based mods Getting giddy on the new update

I got a problem I´m able to start the executive batch file (got the steam version on mtw II kingdoms, so renamed the medieval.exe into kingdoms.exe). Yesterday i started a campaign with denmark. i went into battle against an army of east anglia. After ten minutes i´d say, the game froze (music still playing). Forced to shutdown the laptop, becauce he didn´t responded. Today want to give it another shot. Was able to start the batch file, clicked on load campaign, got the loading screen and then crash with the wonderful error "Odin help us! Something went wrong and only Thor might know what. I have no idea what happened, so i am exiting now."

Any advise?

Quote Originally Posted by Mosh_Train View Post
    I got a problem I´m able to start the executive batch file (got the steam version on mtw II kingdoms, so renamed the medieval.exe into kingdoms.exe). Yesterday i started a campaign with denmark. i went into battle against an army of east anglia. After ten minutes i´d say, the game froze (music still playing). Forced to shutdown the laptop, becauce he didn´t responded. Today want to give it another shot. Was able to start the batch file, clicked on load campaign, got the loading screen and then crash with the wonderful error "Odin help us! Something went wrong and only Thor might know what. I have no idea what happened, so i am exiting now."

Any advise?
    CTD:s can happen - i don't know why it CTD:s for you at the loading screen.

Try removing the .rvm-file in Last_Kingdom/data/world/maps/base.

Also, i don't use Steam so might be connected to that.

- The Havamal

I believe this is intentional, I think this is where the "pope" lives and he is needed in order for certain events and scripts to function properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKE GOLF View Post
    I believe this is intentional, I think this is where the "pope" lives and he is needed in order for certain events and scripts to function properly.
    Yep, Valhalla isn't a region that is supposed to be conquered.

- The Havamal

The Vikings faction is the only faction you as a player ain't supposed to play as.

- The Havamal

Greetings mr. Nygren! Your mod is absolutely phenomenal, absolutely giving the best experience of the Viking age out there. I have a question though, while playing as Normans, tier 1 blacksmith enables the recruitment of all units, is that normal? Thanks in advance!

The Vikings faction is the only faction you as a player ain't supposed to play as.
    edit: All factions seem to have all units available from tier 1 smiths, is this normal or am I having a bug?