Thread: Modern sources on Roman-Seleucid war

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Default Modern sources on Roman-Seleucid war

For my Bachelor's degree I have chosen the Roman-Seleucid war, with the emphasis on how the negotiations and diplomatic relations before, during and after the conflict shaped the relations between Rome, Greece and Antiochus III, how one viewed the other (position of strength, superiority) during talks held at different occasions, how Greek leagues and their emissaries influenced the events of the conflict ... in the end what the result of the Treaty of Apamea meant for both empires and how it was received.

Now, I have the primary sources (ie. Polybius, Livy), but I was wondering if you know of any modern works that cover this period in depth and would recommend it to me. I'm from Slovenia, so the problem is that while we have many German and French publications, we don't have a lot of English/American ones, because of the difficulties of import during Yugoslavian era.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Default Re: Modern sources on Roman-Seleucid war

Unless you're looking for something widely available in libraries... John D. Grainger has published several work about Seleucid Empire and the Hellenistic world in general.
    The Roman War of Antiochos the Great is one of them. https://www.amazon.com/Antiochos-Mne.../dp/9004128409
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει