Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Master of Ambition

WhiskeySykes's Avatar Miles

Default Master of Ambition

Master of Ambition
    Combining the best aspects of Ambition and Master of Strategy, Master of Ambition is set in the tattered Sengoku Jidai. Players will encounter over 100 clans, researching dozens of new "technologies" in the Rengou and Neo-Confucian arts, carefully shaping their armies ranks for one, final outcome: the mastery of Japan.

What is Master of Ambition?
    This is a compilation of Master of Strategy and Hayabusa Sushi's Ambition, for what I like to imagine is a more appealing campaign. Models and textures were ported from Hayabusa Sushi's Ambition where I thought the clans of MoS needed improving, and while the labyrinthine tech trees and unit diversity of MoS may be tampered for balance and historical accuracy, they are mostly preserved. Players still begin in 1545, choosing from one of the vanilla Great Clans, and clash with new and old clans alike. Starting positions are pretty much where you'd expect them to be, if you've played Master of Strategy before.

Requirements:
    Master of Ambition has no requirements, but you're missing a ton of great content without Weierstrass' Master of Strategy.packs 4-8. I recommend his veteran mode settings until in the near future, after the technology trees are reorganized, when I'll be making difficulty changes of my own.

Updates:
    [3/3/17] - The scripting wizard mauiaw and I have begun collaborating on new features to be compatible with release v. 0.6 or thereabouts. We aim to cap Ashigaru against settlements and farm production, as well as implementing a promotion system for samurai and Ashigaru. Say your Yari Samurai have 100 xp. You march them to your settlement with the corresponding dojo, leaving them garrisoned for a single turn. At the beginning of your next turn, that Yari Samurai will be a Yari Samurai Veteran. A Yari Samurai Veteran promotes to a Hero. Same with the Ashigaru in your armies; a unit of Nagi Ashigaru with 100 xp will promote to a unit of Professional Nagi Ashigaru. As such, these promotion units will no longer be recruitable. Instead, dojos will give regional buffs and unlock garrison units, as you build up to the Legendary tier. Legendary dojos will still be capped, but they will grant better buffs and abilities.

[3/2/17] - v. 0.51 is released! The Confucius tree is complete, so its on to the Rengou arts, and here's where I'm diverging from the plan... Dojos are where units train. Training means new techniques. I'm attempting to bind the Rengou arts to dojos, so the player must have X dojo to research A technology. The Rengou arts will form the inversion of a tree, where the real "tree" here is the dojo building chain. You must build every class of dojo, in order to research that chain's "child" arts - the fruit of the tree, if you will. You will not be able to research your way to naval supremacy, without completing the parent building chain. Nor could you just build shipyards and dojos till your fingers pop, because advanced building will require advanced arts. (This is where I would tell you the Neo-Confucius and Rengou trees will blur, but I haven't gotten that far yet. )

[2/26/17] - I've solved the texturing issues of the Ikko Ikki and Otomo Daimyos. Now they look right in the frontend ui and battlefield.

[2/25/17] - Thanks to Weierstrass, I figured out why my tech tree wasn't aligned with the menu.

Pictures:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Mission Statement and the Future:

I will focus all my efforts on polishing this mod, streamlining Master of Strategy's tech trees, tuning ai behaviors, and finally the influence of religion. Incidents/Missions and encyclopedia will come after these, along with anything else...

Once progress on the mod has completely stabilized, I am going to see about overhauling this overhaul of an overhaul. I will then introduce Onin Kassen to players. My vision is of a grand campaign, spanning the later fifteenth to seventeenth centuries, capturing the uncertainty and madness that set the country ablaze for over a century. Most of all, I want the player to believe they're serving Heaven's will to restore the land, and that every battle means something: peace, a united Japan.

- Features to include are: military reforms that see samurai and early levies replaced by ashigaru; incidents and missions chains to focus more on culture and politics; recasting agents with new abilities; etc.

Will the Emperor be silent forever? Has Heaven abandoned her daughter isles? As alliances of opportunity billow in rage, and Kyoto burns around a delusional Shogun, the great, Sengoku clans rise to answer Bishamonten's red call and restore Amaterasu's gilt gown from her blood-soaked tatterdemalion... This is Onin Kassen!

Credits:
    Reserve thanks for Weierstrass (your English is fine btw), uanime5 (Expanded Japan), and Hayabusa Sushi. I haven't done much but shuffle some files around.
    Also, Sig/Giver of Will and MoshedZ have been my beta testers, so thank them for a compatible and working mod.
    Finally, thanks to Creative Assembly for releasing the games, tools, and tutorials that helped inspire me.

Mirrors:

TWC
    Nexus

Last edited by WhiskeySykes; March 03, 2017 at 02:04 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Default Re: Master of Ambition

I found this abandoned concept for a tech tree on the forums:

Although I can't deliver where they failed, I'm using the basic design for a model of my own tech tree. I have to depict roughly 200 years of development in the tree. I'm keeping it simple for now, only ~ 20 techs atm. More will be added once I understand the parent/child link positions. The current Master of Strategy tree contains a lot of good techs, but the tree itself isn't a tree so much as a blobulous mass... I want to fix that.

[2/20/2017] Progress thus far:

I'm at an impasse. The only way I know to change the tech tree is through the data.pack. I may find answers in the communities efforts with the General and Agent skill trees. If those can be modified, so can the tech tree.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 20, 2017 at 04:47 PM. Reason: entry 2

02/20/2017 BUG report
    ODA Easy Long Campaign
    1. Title screen still says" Master of Strategy"
    2. some graphical bugs with faction selection avatars
    3. not able to recruit starting units or ashigaru units form yari drill yard
    4. yari drill yard name does not appear
    5. no names for any buildings
    6. no food used when castle upgraded
    7. no food produced when farms upgraded
    8. building tier after fishing port has no name
    9. town buildings dont have any names
    10. EXTREMELY limited amount of recruitable units
    11. passive AI on campaign map, but AI seems to have super strong units and are able to recruit Ashgaru units
    12. archery range does not have a 2nd teir building
    13. unable to adopt certain generals even with open son slot
    14. limited buildings related to special buildings being very rare or hard to get
    15 enemy factions especially tokugawa keep having 5+ generals in their castle even if they die in battle they get replaced with other new generals, seems like they are buying generals or somehow being able to recruit them

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar Heldenhamer View Post
    02/20/2017 BUG report
    Thanks for the report, Sig. I've decided to save improving the tech trees until after these bugs are cleaned. I'll upload my latest version tomorrow.

Found this, too:
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 21, 2017 at 05:24 AM.

That one looks good, personally i think the large tech tree, with increased tech research times, with the map with a lot of factions makes the game balanced and last longer, because tech takes a long time but there are also more factions and castles to take in order to win the game

I like how the Ashigaru take preeminence from the bushi/samurai as the game develops. They're the most versatile and numerous units late-game, which is how it should be. Maybe this'll make steamrolling the AI harder. Sure, you can focus on those samurai, but they're capped and the AI has mobs of top-tier gumi/Ashigaru.

It is nice to see someone working on probably, the best mod for Shogun 2, trying to develop it further.

Hope you can diversify a lot more what was in there while you are taking account some general balance and bugfixing.

And one more request; can you please open a workshop file for your mod on steam? It is more easier for us to chase down your latest builds.

something that makes me mad in mos is shimazu dont have katana samurai to train, i hope you fixed this

Nope, not yet. I won't be touching factions, units, and settlements until major bugs and aesthetics are worked on.

Samurai will be early units, and battles will be small, as ashigaru come into their own.

Quote Originally Posted by ElrosAmandil View Post
    It is nice to see someone working on probably, the best mod for Shogun 2, trying to develop it further.

Hope you can diversify a lot more what was in there while you are taking account some general balance and bugfixing.

And one more request; can you please open a workshop file for your mod on steam? It is more easier for us to chase down your latest builds.
    I just didn't want MoS to fall by the wayside.

Two files are on Steam, but I can't upload the third, nor will the first file update. Steam is aggravating sometimes... For the mean time, TWC works ok. Give me a week, and I'll reorganize.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 21, 2017 at 10:52 PM.

Just being curious here, there is around 100 mb difference between MoS and MoA. I wonder what was cut; could you please specify . A castle maybe?

Not sure, I'll have to open the files tonight and compare them. You are talking about part 1, correct?
    Shogun 2 Mods:

No, the whole package. I mean the total mb for MoS is 451 mb(8 parts in total) and the total mb for MoA is 354 mb(3 parts in total). Hope you can find what is the cause for that .

Ah, right. Its the castles. I'm not touching packs 4-8, but they're still very compatible. I use them myself.

If you ignore the arrows bending nowhere, and the fact it isn't sitting in the menu skin yet, you'll notice I've started the node table of the Neo-Confucian Tree. The idea's progressing, anyway, and all it took was some graph paper.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 23, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

[2/23/17] - Hey folks, Steam is just a pain in the ass. For that reason, I've uploaded Master of Ambition to the Nexus. If you aren't, please get acquainted: http://www.nexusmods.com. I will support TWC and Nexus files only, after one month's time. Its great, because I can upload mods in .zip format. Nexus also has a native mod manager, where mods are updated automatically.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

I really like the idea of starting with a few elite units and having ashigaru armies become more important in the endgame, it feels more authentic. I'm not that familiar with master of strategy, is this something that is true of his mod, or are you trying to make this happen through changes to the tech tree?

Speaking of authenticity, have you thought about making all samurai units able to use a bow (like in ROS)?

Quote Originally Posted by mauiaw View Post
    I really like the idea of starting with a few elite units and having ashigaru armies become more important in the endgame, it feels more authentic. I'm not that familiar with master of strategy, is this something that is true of his mod, or are you trying to make this happen through changes to the tech tree?
    Unfortunately it isn't, so yeah, I'm trying to through new tech trees. I found concepts for two on TWC from about 4 years ago. The OP even provided historical names for the arts they imagined. They're seen in the above posts.

Speaking of authenticity, have you thought about making all samurai units able to use a bow (like in ROS)?
    Yes! I've even thought about using some ROTS units, just replacing ("retraining") them once the appropriate arts have been studied. (Am I right, is that how FOTS handles it's military reforms?) Generals will use bows, that's easy enough to change in the pfm.

Neo-Confucian Tree node links are working:
    All that remains to do with the Neo-Confucian arts are realigning the tree in the node table, and changing the technologies. I've been working backwards, because its just better this way. For instance, I can see which techs unlock other branches, where if I started with new effects and by renaming them, I'd have to keep the whole damn tree in my head.

The branches of the Neo-Confucian tree are as follows: religion, culture, core, fiefs, commerce, and architecture. Most branches have cadet branches that unlock arts on the main branch. Unlocking the branches should be time consuming, if I'm going to change the start date to the late fifteenth century.

Things I need to know before moving on. There is an Architecture branch. Should only Hojo (and the Ashikaga) have the ability to research Epic Architecture? Or should they just begin with tier 1 research completed? Likewise, only the Hattori and Tokugawa can research tier 2-3 ninja/geisha arts. Only they can upgrade ninja buildings or recruit kisho ninja. Capturing a province with kisho buildings won't unlock those units, since none but they can research kisho. I think this is completely fair, which brings us to the monks...

Only the Ikko and Uesugi can recruit warrior sohei, because only they will have the arts allowing them to militarize the monks. The Ikko will not be able to develop the shinto arts, since they are an exclusively "Pure Land," Buddhist movement. That's going to make good development harder, because the shinto and magistrate building chains balance the markets chain. So I think I'll give them unique cultural and reform arts, which offset the town and market chains, and hopefully make up for not recruiting metsuke.
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 24, 2017 at 09:53 AM. Reason: update
    Shogun 2 Mods:

i see you have a look at Portuguese mod of mauiaw , by any chance , Will u and him work together ?Or make both mod compatiable, at least ?

No, mauiaw's mod lies beyond the scope of MoA.

[2/25/17] - Here's progress on the Neo-Confucian tree:
    Now that the tree's been 'planted,' its time to wrap up node links, redistribute effects and icons.

Also, as of today, the Nexus is hosting Shogun 2 mods! You can find all three packs for Master of Ambition here, in one, easy to install .zip file. I'll only be supporting the Steam version for one more week before taking it down. (TWC will still be supported.)
    Last edited by WhiskeySykes; February 25, 2017 at 12:22 PM. Reason: update
    Shogun 2 Mods:

I'll be keeping eye for this one. Looks cool

The Neo-Confucian tree is in it's third and final beta:
    All that remains are reassigning effects and finalizing icon choices. Then I will proceed to the Bushido arts and unit tables.
    Shogun 2 Mods:

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast