Thread: CA's ability to make an offline mode that works. Too much to ask?

Default CA's ability to make an offline mode that works. Too much to ask?

It seems that if you have mods installed and you want to play in offline mode then they are removed.
    The only way to fix it is to go online again, boot the mod manager, wait for 5 minutes to load everything then go to offline mode again.

Why.

Who though this was a great idea? Is there a community made mod manager because obviously the people at CA are too retarded to make one.

Default Re: CA's ability to make an offline mode that works. Too much to ask?

1. You could play the game in offline mode, without mods, like it is intended by CA.
    2. Why on earth would you like to play steam on 'offline' mode, when you say you can easily be online for 5min than go in offline mode (for the mods).
    3. And most of all, It is Valve (Steam) that decides how games work on steam. As they are in command of the whole steam library.

And to answer the question: No their is no 'mod manager' from the community.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSilence View Post
    1. You could play the game in offline mode, without mods, like it is intended by CA.
    why? And how do you know this? Source?
    2. Why on earth would you like to play steam on 'offline' mode, when you say you can easily be online for 5min than go in offline mode (for the mods).
    Because there is no "appear offline" version on steam.
    3. And most of all, It is Valve (Steam) that decides how games work on steam. As they are in command of the whole steam library.
    Uhhh the launcher was clearly made by CA the you talking about?

ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    Because there is no "appear offline" version on steam.
    ? You can easily set yourself "off line" even when Steam is in on line mode.

BMV's Avatar Civis

So...

If you want your mods to stay in offline mode just rename them.
    Go to the data folder ir TW:Warhammer directory, there you will find all the mod files.
    So you could just add something like "+" sign at the end of the filename and then select them with the mod manager in the launcher.

No idea why steam or tw launcher deletes them on purpose.

p.s. you'll need to do this every time the mod is updated (obviously you need to go online for that to happen)
    Last edited by BMV; February 19, 2017 at 10:47 AM.

Why would you play offline? Its not like you need it but it doesnt affect you negatively either. Why make your life harder?

BMV's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    Why would you play offline? Its not like you need it but it doesnt affect you negatively either. Why make your life harder?
    I can't tell, but there is an option to play in offline mode so... people can do it.
    I noticed that when you play offline steam doesn't count the playtime so you can hide from others just how addicted you are?

Also this behavior by steam is just odd to say the least, because they forcefully delete mods... While the steam improved a lot over the years my opinion stands...

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    It seems that if you have mods installed and you want to play in offline mode then they are removed.
    The only way to fix it is to go online again, boot the mod manager, wait for 5 minutes to load everything then go to offline mode again.

Why.

Who though this was a great idea? Is there a community made mod manager because obviously the people at CA are too retarded to make one.
    In my experience, you can launch the game (with mods active) just fine while Steam is in offline mode, and it certainly doesn't delete/unsubscribe mods. The launcher is a bit wonky, in that if you browse your mod list or attempt to activate/deactivate mods while in that state, it is prone to crashing. It also sometimes chokes on mods that are packed in alternate formats (e.g. movie type packs). I believe there is an update due for the launcher that will (hopefully) address stability and provide better functionality. Personally, I hate the lack of a true "list" format that lets you view all mods at once.

The suggestion to rename mods if you don't want the launcher touching them is perfectly valid, but you shouldn't have to do this strictly for your purpose. Have you confirmed that mods aren't actually active when playing offline?

Mitch, creator of the most recent TW community mod manager, now works for CA. Thus our present lack of an alternative.

BMV's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    In my experience, you can launch the game (with mods active) just fine while Steam is in offline mode, and it certainly doesn't delete/unsubscribe mods.
    I was surprised, but it removes them (subscription is not affected since you're offline).
    Just switch to offline mode and then go to TW:Warhammer launcher, open mod manager and wait for 30 seconds or something and then *bam* all the mods that you're subscribed to disappear until you return to online mode.
    This doesn't effect mods that you've installed manually however...

I found this out because I always install Radious mod manually

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by BMV View Post
    I was surprised, but it removes them (subscription is not affected since you're offline).
    Just switch to offline mode and then go to TW:Warhammer launcher, open mod manager and wait for 30 seconds or something and then *bam* all the mods that you're subscribed to disappear until you return to online mode.
    This doesn't effect mods that you've installed manually however...

I found this out because I always install Radious mod manually
    Interesting. For me, the launcher crashes if I leave it sit idle while offline, but nothing is removed from /data. I do have a (movie type) pack present that's set to read only. That may crash the launcher before it manages to finish its business. I'll have to try it without that pack. Apologies if I suggested this was uncommon.

It does sound like a valid complaint... there's no reason to remove mods while offline. My guess is that it's unintended. Fortunately, keeping renamed copies is a working (albeit inconvenient) solution, . Whatever the case, the manager does suck at handling certain cases. I'd expect an update.

Quote Originally Posted by EternalSilence View Post

1. Offline is a valid, sometimes unavoidable state. Modding is clearly an intended feature. How do you draw this conclusion?
    2. Traveling, internet outage, limited availability, severe data cap, and probably a dozen reasons I can't think of. Try to imagine you're not you.
    3. No, they are not. Valve and game developers are partners. Valve provides and manages the framework, the dev utilizes that. Valve would require a massive staff if it was responsible for such details across it's entire inventory. Note the variety in how each individual title handles modding.