Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Athenian Police? (from Ancient Lead Mining...).

Default Re: Athenian Police? (from Ancient Lead Mining...).

Well, I found Launey's book four bookshelves to the left of where I study. Take that Israeli tertiary education!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

For those that do not speak French, the archeologist basically explains that Scythians and the people from the northern coast of the Black Sea were deployed on a very large scale by the Kingdom of Pontus, but their presence elsewhere was very limited. One of the few rare exceptions concerned Philonichus and Molpagoras, two gentlemen from Cimmerian Bosporus, whose names were included in an inscription found in Fayoum, which has been interpreted with certainty as a list of mercenaries*. He then mentions Harmodius, originating from the Greek colony of Odessa, who left his name in a graffiti at the temple of Memnonion in Abydos, but we can't know for sure about whether he was a soldier or not. The fourth name, Olthacus, is irrelevant, as it refers to a ruler that cooperated with Mithridates VI.

In my opinion, the evidence is not very conclusive, as Launey underlines the fact that mercenaries from Bosporus were exceptional cases outside the periphery of the Black Sea. There's also no comment about Greek colonists from the region being labelled as Scythians, but Avi-Yonah probably learned about this practice from another source. It's important, however, to note that both Molpagoras and Philonichus are described as "people from Bosporus" (Βοσπορίτης) and not Scythians. Personally, I remain a bit skeptical about the possibility of Skythopolis having been populated by mercenary soldiers from the northern coast of the Black Sea under the service of the Lagids.

*For whoever is interested, the rest of the membership is composed by four Rhodians (Lyson, Cleitomachus, Agias and Dionysodorus), one Acarnanian (Tauron), one Athenian (Epimachus) and one Lesbian (he was simply from Mytilene, nothing to assume about his sexual orientation), called Appolonius.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Well, I found Launey's book four bookshelves to the left of where I study. Take that Israeli tertiary education!
    Ha... thanks. Trying to find older French sources here is rough. English and German are no problem, but that still leaves some pretty big holes depending on the topic. Anyway, interesting stuff, but...

In my opinion, the evidence is not very conclusive
    Yeah, seems a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

Personally, I remain a bit skeptical about the possibility of Skythopolis having been populated by mercenary soldiers from the northern coast of the Black Sea under the service of the Lagids.
    An interesting find nonetheless.

and one Lesbian (he was simply from Mytilene, nothing to assume about his sexual orientation), called Appolonius.
    On a humorous note, I don't think a male can be that, but who knows?
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

@Abdülmecid I

I would not disagree that an actual company of Scythians or people overwhelmingly from the north coast of the Black sea is perhaps not likely. However... the Cretan/Neocretan thing might be at play.

This article would ground them all firmly in Crete (but see all the various other theories)

https://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/3296985.pdf

A mercenary company once formed might take on something of a corporate existence taking it name from it origins or perhaps just the nom de guerre of it's captain or specialty. On the last consider Xenophon's crew. They might have started hired as hoplites (or shoplifters as TWC would prefer) but they did manage to because a force of slingers and cavalry and peltasts as well. Scythian would not be a poor badge for sales for a free company of men looking for hire as archers, and even if only some started out as floppy hat wearing re-curve bow wielders it would behoove all to learn as a selling/wage earning and survival point no matter where you picked up new blood until one fine day when you got retired to some dynastic estate. Consider also the use of Macedonian 'style' to mean not hoplites but Sarissa users for heavy infantry.

---

Also Its completely possible that Cyclopes is on the mark and we are looking for an overly deterministic solution maybe somebody just liked the sound of the name. I mean Ypsilanti in the USA Michigan is not named because of a historic Greek population and the bust of the man is not sitting in front of a giant purple penis (*) because of some link to Athenian Herms, but rather just because the Greek revolt against the Ottomans was in the news (name and bust)- I got no answer for the Penis but it is a great landmark if you are looking for a ride out of Eastern Michigan University from a non local.

Last edited by conon394; September 19, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post

I would not disagree that an actual company of Scythians or people overwhelmingly from the north coast of the Black sea is perhaps not likely. However... the Cretan/Nocretan thing might be at play...
    ...and the Varangians, or the "Foreign" Legion etc etc...although apparently the Swiss Guards are still Swiss.

...Also Its completely possible that Cyclopes is on the mark and we are looking for an overly deterministic solution maybe somebody just liked the sound of the name...
    I do occasionally hit the mark despite a problem with judging distances...
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    ...and the Varangians, or the "Foreign" Legion etc etc...although apparently the Swiss Guards are still Swiss.

I do occasionally hit the mark despite a problem with judging distances...
    OK I hope that did not sound insulting, apologies.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praeses

OK I hope that did not sound insulting, apologies.
    Forgot my winking smiley, no offence taken at all.

Just as a side note, we Australians tend to be more abusive the more friendly we are and get all formal when we have the . If an Aussie calls you female genitalia its probably love.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12