Thread: Is this a *Good* Rule to play by?

Default Is this a *Good* Rule to play by?

Hi all,

I was looking up for a post regarding this particular rule, but unfortunately could not find any such link. I want to know, if any of you play in accordance to the rule of: If there is no governor in the settlement = no buildings and reset tax rate to normal.

What do you think? I only ask because it is a frustatingly difficult rule to manage with. Ultimately, your buildings in one settlement will lag behind. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this, thanks

Default Re: Is this a *Good* Rule to play by?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean3000 View Post
    Hi all,

I was looking up for a post regarding this particular rule, but unfortunately could not find any such link. I want to know, if any of you play in accordance to the rule of: If there is no governor in the settlement = no buildings and reset tax rate to normal.

What do you think? I only ask because it is a frustatingly difficult rule to manage with. Ultimately, your buildings in one settlement will lag behind. I was just wondering what you guys thought of this, thanks
    I would not know. I always auto manage all of my cities myself and keep the taxes at normal unless my people are angry. I still get rich and I can keep building in all of my cities. If you let the AI do it for you they raise the taxes to high for my liking. More taxes can mean more money but your people will dislike you. Some vet's use higher taxes and do just fine but for me it's easier to just leave it at normal where it is already at for every city or castle you own.

If a governor is not in the city you can still build stuff if you set the auto mange all cities option before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthewcthf View Post
    I would not know. I always auto manage all of my cities myself and keep the taxes at normal unless my people are angry. I still get rich and I can keep building in all of my cities. If you let the AI do it for you they raise the taxes to high for my liking. More taxes can mean more money but your people will dislike you. Some vet's use higher taxes and do just fine but for me it's easier to just leave it at normal where it is already at for every city or castle you own.

If a governor is not in the city you can still build stuff if you set the auto mange all cities option before the game.
    Sorry, I didn't mention this in my original post. I know you can build by yourself without a governor, but I play according to this rule as it has the roleplay dynamic to it. As in, it would make sense for a building to be constructed under the supervision of a Governor. I wanted to know if you, or anyone for that matter felt that this is a good rule.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dean3000 View Post
    Sorry, I didn't mention this in my original post. I know you can build by yourself without a governor, but I play according to this rule as it has the roleplay dynamic to it. As in, it would make sense for a building to be constructed under the supervision of a Governor. I wanted to know if you, or anyone for that matter felt that this is a good rule.
    It sounds like a good rule but then I commanders cost money and not everyone can afford a lot of them. I just don't see the point in only upgrading some of my settlements while others remain poor. In my opinion it makes for a bad game as the AI will upgrade all of their cities when they can and won't hesitate to attack or take a weak city from you. If you want to win you need to play all of your cards. Humans in hotseat games also take every advantage they can. If you want to use this rule for a game or two to make it a harder game then go ahead but I don't think it will work for every game.