Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your RTW Tactics, Strategies & Tips

lior999's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: RTW Tactics, Strategy, and help

When i use the Greeks i put my phalanxes into a big box and put my archers in the middle to protect them . and i put my general in the middle too. This works best with spartan hoplites and golden band and armoured hoplites. militia hoplites do not work as well because they are weaker and they have lower morale.

dutch81's Avatar Senator

You will need your own archers ... foot archers will kill cavalry archers pretty easy use the rest of the army to protect your archers.

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

To explain the rather idiotic response:

Quote Originally Posted by lior999 View Post
    When i use the Greeks i put my phalanxes into a big box and put my archers in the middle to protect them . and i put my general in the middle too. This works best with spartan hoplites and golden band and armoured hoplites. militia hoplites do not work as well because they are weaker and they have lower morale.
    It's called a "noob box" because it really is just a big box with pointy objects that takes little to no skill to use; multiplayer nuts in particular seem to hate it. It doesn't take much to beat it, but the AI is absolutely incapable of dealing with it.

It's a shame some people aren't capable of communication.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Really it's called a Noob Box because it is used in a Nooby way, not because of the Box. Usually expects the opponent to run straight into your "trap" and just sits there unable to think about how to respond when the opponent doesn't do exactly what you expect him to do! The funny thing is that with a few tweaks and a good mindset which can respond to changing circumstance, the "NooboX" can become a viable challenge, but because they are expect you to act as an idiot, they do not.

The Noob box is hated because it is very boring to play against; it's a slight mental challenge that most players have done countless times. Always kill cav, kill archers, shoot rear. It's just an exercise towards victory, which you already know will occur. Boring and a waste of valuable gaming time.

To be fair, the Noob Box can work against the AI, but that's pointless since everything works vs AI, and standard formations actually works better vs AI. Standard formations also work better vs people.

Also the player who makes the noob box usually tweaks the rules so he has an immense advantage, or hill and red line/corner camps, but due to inability to think that the opponent might just not blindly charge into a pikemen, tends to lose. Noob Boxes are the most commonly seen nooby behaviour and has a certain nice ring to it. Other commonly seen noob formations are bizarre zigzag patterns and Alexander Macedon formation where they place the cavalry on one side in a carefully placed column without any idea of how to use it.
    Smilies...the resort of those with a vacuous argument

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Plant View Post
    Really it's called a Noob Box because it is used in a Nooby way, not because of the Box. Usually expects the opponent to run straight into your "trap" and just sits there unable to think about how to respond when the opponent doesn't do exactly what you expect him to do! The funny thing is that with a few tweaks and a good mindset which can respond to changing circumstance, the "NooboX" can become a viable challenge, but because they are expect you to act as an idiot, they do not.

The Noob box is hated because it is very boring to play against; it's a slight mental challenge that most players have done countless times. Always kill cav, kill archers, shoot rear. It's just an exercise towards victory, which you already know will occur. Boring and a waste of valuable gaming time.

To be fair, the Noob Box can work against the AI, but that's pointless since everything works vs AI, and standard formations actually works better vs AI. Standard formations also work better vs people.

Also the player who makes the noob box usually tweaks the rules so he has an immense advantage, or hill and red line/corner camps, but due to inability to think that the opponent might just not blindly charge into a pikemen, tends to lose. Noob Boxes are the most commonly seen nooby behaviour and has a certain nice ring to it. Other commonly seen noob formations are bizarre zigzag patterns and Alexander Macedon formation where they place the cavalry on one side in a carefully placed column without any idea of how to use it.

Simple answer: you suggested a n00b formation.

Quote Originally Posted by lior999 View Post
    Every time TWC makes a new MP player make a noob box which results in me not having a challenge out of my game, I kill a kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by dutch81 View Post
    You will need your own archers ... foot archers will kill cavalry archers pretty easy use the rest of the army to protect your archers.
    From your name i gather that you come from the same country as me, and are eleven years older than me. that should mean that you are smarter than me. Why do you say such stupid things? You can empty all your ammunition on a HA squad in Cantabrian circle and they will still be alive and kicking.

best way to deal w/ miss cav is to get a ton of your own
    light cav works well too esp in conjunction w/ long range missiles

Do you think the testudo would work? Or would that be Carrae all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by spikkler View Post
    in SP anthing works....
    and in MP HA goal is to kill archers not infantry
    respect the melon!

YATS name:Aulus Claudius Ambustus
    Class: Patrician

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by spikkler View Post
    In MP don't use Rome against Parthia: Catas = wtfpwn.

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

In SP its not advisable also, because sometimes AI will use the mace attack..thus dooming everything you have to put against them. They are wtfpwn which shoot laser bolts from their eyes and are ninjacatas. You dun mess with 'em.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Maiar93 View Post
    In SP its not advisable also, because sometimes AI will use the mace attack..thus dooming everything you have to put against them. They are wtfpwn which shoot laser bolts from their eyes and are ninjacatas. You dun mess with 'em.
    A.I never uses alt attack because it cant press alt
    respect the melon!

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

It's been scripted, they do use alt attack sometimes.
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Maiar93 View Post
    It's been scripted, they do use alt attack sometimes.
    never ever seen it once
    respect the melon!

Ive seen it occasionally used too, most of the time they use it too late for it to make any difference tho

wow what units?
    btw yeah i saw it but it was FAIL cause they alt charged then in melee they normal attacked
    respect the melon!

LittleGreenGuy's Avatar Laetus

Rome was sort of ruined for me by discovering a massive loop-hole in the diplomacy. Some of you may called it glitching, ruining the game and I agree!
    You need something very badly from the enemy, eg. a settlement or a ceasefire. Offer them a tribute for 35-75 turns and offer them all the money you have!
    They'll happily agree and just after they agree inform them that you've cancelled the tribute

For battles though nothing beats cavalry, ahh typing in cavalry just made me incredibly nostalgic about age of empires 2 (which will be my favourite game forever )

Why enslaving? Exterminating will give you a loyal city immediately. With the Scipii I have the easiest campaign ever played. It is year 208 BC and I have Large stone wall everywhere and Epic wall at the Capital. The urban cohorts are the perfect infantry, smashing everything and being nearly unstoppable along with some praetorian cavalry. My hardest job was when I had to destroy Carthage (the faction). But it became a lot easier when I realized that you don't need tons of pigs to scare the elephants. With 2-3 archer units and flamming arrows you can do a trmendous damage to enemy elephants.

Speaking of archers, I created the perfest strategy to easily conquer a city. Deploy troops on every available side, including onagers and archers. Put infantry in the first line, archers in the second and the artillery in the back. Bombard the city with the onagers (destroy some buildings and kill several troops), then target the wall in multiple places (no enemy will get out of the city). approach the archers and exterminate the enemy troops near the wall, then let the infantry and cavalry smash the troops near the plaza. If the targeted settlement has stone wall, break it and conquer the wall with infantry troops. Then, smashing the remaining troops is a matter of time. Good luck everybody!

Testudo is the ultimate formation for Roman troops. Compare it to the best Greek formation : Phalanx. The Phalanx is devastating in the front, so it is best when you need to defend a bridge, but if you manage to attack it's sides or rear, they are dead. Because a Phalanx's attack is 100% concentrated to the front, while the sides and rear don't even have some shields. Now look at the Testudo : while being more a defensive formation, it will protect 3 out of 4 sides of the unit (4 out of 5 including the top). You can also notice that if the Testudo is surrounded, several soldiers will still slaughter enemies, from all sides. This is impossible for the Phalanx, because - even if you attack them from the rear - they will still concentrate the attack to the front. In 95% of the battles, a Phalanx in open terrain is doomed. However, if you have a full hoplite unit (161 men), you can deploy it on 2 very long rows, so it will be like a long wall. With 2 of these, the enemies are doomed. So, as a conclusion : 1. For Testudo : go close enough in the Testudo, then press the hurry button and break the formation. The enemies will have no time to react. 2.For Phalanx : deploy them at the maximum width and head for the enemy. There is a tiny chance of being surrounded while deployed at maximum width, but still keep a unit or two for reserve at the Phalanx's edges.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast