Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Share your RTW Tactics, Strategies & Tips

Elohim's Avatar Civis

Default Share your RTW Tactics, Strategies & Tips

My favourite one was always to get a spy or two inside an enemy city, deep inside enemy lines, and then beseige it with a halfstack of cavalry, with 1 unit of horsearchers or similar.

The spies open the gates, you rush the town, get to the central square asap, then fend off the enemy for three minutes. Unless you're fighting Greeks (aargh phalanxes! :p), this isn't too hard.

Then, you exterminate the town, destroy every building you can, leave with your entire army (leave no garrison), an amuse ourself building up an army of peasants which you can either leave to pretend to defend the city, or just move them into another your real cities to beef up the population there.

I love this move, especially as Carthage in Vanilla, or as a crusading force in Chivalry.
    Multiple exclamation marks are the sign of diseased mind!!!

I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

MCM's Avatar Saint of lost causes

Default Re: RTW Tactics, Strategy, and help

Nice tip Elohim- strike where unexpected.

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Elohim View Post
    My favourite one was always to get a spy or two inside an enemy city, deep inside enemy lines, and then beseige it with a halfstack of cavalry, with 1 unit of horsearchers or similar.

The spies open the gates, you rush the town, get to the central square asap, then fend off the enemy for three minutes. Unless you're fighting Greeks (aargh phalanxes! :p), this isn't too hard.

Then, you exterminate the town, destroy every building you can, leave with your entire army (leave no garrison), an amuse ourself building up an army of peasants which you can either leave to pretend to defend the city, or just move them into another your real cities to beef up the population there.

I love this move, especially as Carthage in Vanilla, or as a crusading force in Chivalry.
    I love doing that against Egypt as the Scipii. The English made this strategy famous during the Hundred Years' War (minus the rampaging peasants of course). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevauch%C3%A9e

-Glee

PS. I once had two units of peasants kicked out a rebelling town (Sidon), then go siege Damascus -- which was guarded by a lone unit of archers. When the archers sallied forth, my peasants rushed to the wall, captured all the gates (trapping the archers outside) and secured the town square. Then I rampaged Damascus too. Jolly good fun.

I like recruiting two or so units of javelin or archer cavalry and setting them loose alone behind enemy lines.

I use them to harass the enemy's larger formations and pull out after they run out of ammo. Sometimes the enemy will send detachments of 1 or 2 units off to do god-knows-what and my little harassment forces are able to make them "disappear".

Plus it's a good way to keep the enemy occupied and away from your cities, when they have a couple big stacks and your not strong enough to face them.

It does result in a lot lost battles though, so if you're into statistics, you'll want to pass on this strategy.

I’m a real Carthage nut so when I saw this I couldn’t wait to show y’all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3eliMqMYbw

Icon7 Re: RTW Tactics, Strategy, and help

Quote Originally Posted by unfortunate crow View Post
    I like recruiting two or so units of javelin or archer cavalry and setting them loose alone behind enemy lines.

I use them to harass the enemy's larger formations and pull out after they run out of ammo. Sometimes the enemy will send detachments of 1 or 2 units off to do god-knows-what and my little harassment forces are able to make them "disappear".

Plus it's a good way to keep the enemy occupied and away from your cities, when they have a couple big stacks and your not strong enough to face them.

It does result in a lot lost battles though, so if you're into statistics, you'll want to pass on this strategy.

I"ve done this and diverted an army bent on total destruction, the huge stack went after them,they retreated in the battle. They went for them again next turn (silly AI) and they retreated into Thrace, embroiling them in a war with Macedon! The Greeks (me) breathed a sigh of relief as my two bigget foes were fighting each other.

i have a question..how to get faster in marius era?

Enslave all cities you conquer, have only a governor in your capital, this way all the slaves will go there. Build farms, markets, health buildings and temples that increase population growth. But you have to balance growing your population and constructing buildings or you'll have a huge capital without any good buildings.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

And, of course, in addition to Selifator's advice, you shall have to build troops.

thanks thanks..before this I knew that marius era comes in certain year
    thaks for advice

Icon10 Re: RTW Tactics, Strategy, and help

do not make any buildings other than welth early on for military hire merces and listen to the senate i did this as the scippii and have destroyed carthage have 4-5 full stacks have 120000 money and am making 3000-4000 per turn right now

I don't play the campaign much, mainly just skirmishes. But I have found that the double envelopment will win most melee combat situations. You put you troops in a line, with you cavalry on your wings, one cavalry wing must be much heavier, so they can defeat the enemy's cavalry, then swoop around them to engage the enemy's other cavalry wing (If they have one.) You move in with your infantry, then, when the middle guys are almost to the enemy, false retreat them, then they will attempt to pursue. Turn them around, and attack them again. The enemy's troops should now be in an ark, somewhat like this -> '-', but much bigger. You then move your wings up, sandwiching your enemy's troops. Since your troops are on the outside, they have more room to fit men in to attack, so you will have quite the advantage. Then hammer and anvil the back of you enemy with your cavalry. This is the same strategy the famous Hannibal used at the battle of Cannae, in northeast rome.

Brian93's Avatar Civis

HOW IN GODS NAME DO YOU FIGHT MISSILE CAVALRY

In my campaign, im about to destroy numidia, and they have one full stack army left - great.. so whats the problem?

half of their god damned army is made up of missile cavalry, and im powerless against them. To make things stupider, one of their missile cavalry units killed my praetoria roman general in a melee engagement. Even funnier is that a bunch of berber javelinmen routed my triarii and principe.

All of this while the enemy is fighting UPHILL on a huge incline. what the hell -_-
    lol

EDIT: Mod is RTR PE

help please

(Who guards the guards?) -Juvenal

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Don't play on VH Battle? If that's not the case, you'd have to ask over at the RTR boards ... and I don't see how jav-cav could beat a melee General in melee unless there was some kind of ridiculous luck involved. Swarm them under with heavy Spear units?
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Brian93's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    Don't play on VH Battle? If that's not the case, you'd have to ask over at the RTR boards ... and I don't see how jav-cav could beat a melee General in melee unless there was some kind of ridiculous luck involved. Swarm them under with heavy Spear units?
    I think i might know why, but i need to confirm this: how do unit hit points work?
    If a unit gets hit by a weapon, or missile, are they permanently wounded? how many hits can an individual soldier take? Because sometimes, when my infantry get knocked down by an attack, i see them get back up and continue fighting. Is the damage inflicted permanent?

Before i charged my praetoria into the numidian missile cavalry, i had them do a bunch of charges into the berber javelinmen. My praetoria killed a lot, and routed them after a couple of charges, but none of them died. Im guessing all of my cavalry units got hit once or twice during the charge, and that softened them up for the numidian cavalry?

(Who guards the guards?) -Juvenal

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Brian93 View Post
    I think i might know why, but i need to confirm this: how do unit hit points work?
    If a unit gets hit by a weapon, or missile, are they permanently wounded? how many hits can an individual soldier take? Because sometimes, when my infantry get knocked down by an attack, i see them get back up and continue fighting. Is the damage inflicted permanent?

Before i charged my praetoria into the numidian missile cavalry, i had them do a bunch of charges into the berber javelinmen. My praetoria killed a lot, and routed them after a couple of charges, but none of them died. Im guessing all of my cavalry units got hit once or twice during the charge, and that softened them up for the numidian cavalry?
    *Normally* (I have no idea how RTR changed it, or even if) units have 1 Hit Point, and when that's gone, the soldier dies. Some units have more (in Vanilla, the Berserker, Urban Cohort, and Bull Warriors at least have 2; Chariots had some obscene number [10?]; Elephants had 4 IIRC), which meant they could take multiple Lethal hits and survive. General Units have 2 HP each, and the General himself has extra HP if his traits so allow (or an HP Penalty ...).

Now then, as for the knockdown: All attacks have a given value for their Lethality (all Missile units are 1 Lethality, which means they have a 100% chance to kill if they hit) which is seperate from their Attack value; if an attack hits (based on Attack vs Defense) it's either a knockdown or a kill, based on the lethality - although a 'kill' won't necessarily kill a unit that has multiple HP, as the attack simply removes 1 HP. If a soldier is lucky, every hit against him can fail its Lethality check and simply result in a knockdown, but that would take some awesome luck.

So if the Numidians you were fighting were using their Javelins in melee instead of their melee weapons, it's possible - however unlikely - for them to wipe out a General's Bodyguard before being destroyed. However, the fact that they did kill the General and their skirmishers took out your Principes and Triarii while attacking uphill makes me think you're playing on VH, which adds +7 to the Attack and Defense Skill values.

Edit: Spartans, Bastarnae, Arcani, and the Gladiators have 2 HP, but not the Urbans ... not sure why I misremembered them.
    Last edited by Entropy Judge; October 16, 2010 at 04:58 AM.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Urbans don't have 2hp. They just have huge defence. Like cataphracts.

Chariots do not have 10 HP...

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Imagine if they did... the horror

The most hitpoints for a chariot unit is 5 for the British Chariot General. Scythed and Egyptian General have 4 (IIRC. Or do the Egyptian generals have 5 too? ), Egyptian and British Heavy have 3, archer varieties have 2.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    Edit: Spartans, Bastarnae, Arcani, and the Gladiators have 2 HP, but not the Urbans ... not sure why I misremembered them.
    Erm... Because they are uberoverpowered?

And AFAIK scychaz have 4hp, Chariot Arch have 2. All british chaz have 3, or 3 and 2, don't really remember. Elephants have 9 or 15.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast