Thread: Kamakura Period factions

Default Kamakura Period factions

(Use the eight general regions eg. Kyushu, Shikoku, etc. to refer to rough territorial holdings. The idea is just to get a rough idea of what this might look like.

I have always found it difficult to get a clear martial/political picture of Japan during this period. With its Minamoto led Shogunate, who I believe were puppets of the Hojo Shikken. Also, the Northern Fujiwara who possessed much of Tohoku until 1189.

This question pertains especially to the concept of creating two major and separate playable factions as part of a Total War mod with a starting year of 1187.

Further clarifying questions:

• Shogun is to Shogunate as Shikken is to ...?
    • What would be the appropriate general term for ALL of the territory possessed by each of these clans?

P.S. I get that I have asked this question before as part of a large, multi question post. I think that post was regarded with "tl;dr" so I am asking shorter questions in hopes of getting answers that way.

As of 1187 the Minamoto ruled independently .The Hojo regency would begun only after 2 or 3 more rulers .Also the official shogunate was established only in 1192 .For your mod just take the rots expansion map and then find out which territories the Minamoto won in the Gempi war and viola you have your map .Unfortunately since I don't posses rise of the samurai I can't help much.But for banners you are welcome .

The shikken were regents for the shogun .They treated the shoguns hoe the shoguns treated the king of Japan .In theory they were regents for the third or fourth shogun but even when he became an adult the regency continued for his whole life and the lives of all his descandents. The shikken hojos became De facto dictators.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 21, 2017 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Kamakura Period factions

Even during the Hojo period the entity was still called a Bakafu , the Shogunate system in itself is more or less an hijack of the imperial system anyway (And for a lot of time especially in this early period their would still be a dual system where the court is still also sending officials to local offices.)

If your doing Genpei war in that set up (assuming ur using M2TW engine ) then Miyamoto starts with Chubu and Kanto and the Fujiwara were their allies too so if your not going Fujiwara they would have Tohoku as well. and the Taira would be the 4 province west of that.

The problem in M2TW engine is that there's a very limited set of regions you can make, giving 8 to Japan probably makes them quite OP relative to historic reality as I doubt you'll give 8 to Korea as well, the Song was divided into 18 adminsitrative region, if you only give the Song 18 province it's going to be quite strong but if you give them less then it doesn't really make sense to have 8 for Japan etc. (pretty much any 2 of these provinces were equal to the entirety of Japan's population.

The problem is you'll quickly run out of regions to give to other faction areas . so there's going to be a lot of reality check sacrifices you need to make , for example Japan's population was low, and a unified Japan would be pretty strong if only because of it's safe isolated position by default even if it only had like 4-5 area.
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....