Thread: Conan Exiles - A new era?

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Conan Exiles - A new era?

I have been keeping my eye on this game for a while in the hope that it could replace Minecraft as the vehicle for the interfactional 'Grand Strategy PvP' gameplay that we have come to know and love. A description:

Conan Exiles
    is an open-world survival game, set in the brutal lands of Conan The Barbarian. You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept by terrible sandstorms and besieged on every side by Enemies. Here you must fight to survive, build and dominate.

Hungry, thirsty and alone, your very first battle is that against the harsh environment. Grow crops or Hunt animals for food. Harvest Resources to Craft Weapons and Tools. Build a shelter to survive. Ride across a vast world and explore alone, or band together with other players to build entire Settlements and Strongholds to withstand fierce invasions.

When strong enough, march forth into battle and wage war against your enemies as you fight to dominate the exiled lands. Sacrifice enemy Players on the Altars of the Gods and shift the balance of power your way. Unleash your fury in savage, fast-paced Combat and execute bloody and bone-crushing attacks that will see heads rolling and limbs flying.

It has everything we could want from a game: the ability to form clans and claim land in a challenging enviornment (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3brRnsPYYs), an intuitive building system (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7EPJXBdDWA) and solid combat mechanics that include the use of bows, shields and spears, as well as explosives for sieges and even crazy summonable giants (that can be disabled if desired). It helpfully comes with a diverse range of server side options to tweak the game to our liking. While it is Early Access I've found the content to be far more substantial than most Early Access games, as it is developed by Funcom, an actual, experienced game studio. The developers have also promised to support modding using mod tools. The game is a little pricey at the moment (£27) but you can get it from CDKeys for £22 (http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/conan...c-steam-cd-key), the site is totally legit, I bought it from there, they just send you a key and you activate it on Steam.

Hopefully eventually we could get our own server. But for now, would anyone be interested in creating a little clan to play on a third-party server?
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Conan Exiles - A new era?

I was summoned, and I had a look at this.

- Open world with NPCs, looks like good dungeons too.
    - Building system looks pretty modular or at least creative.
    - NPC soldiers/slaves/craftsmen, which I always wanted to see on the MCC servers but the mods were limited back then.
    - Combat system looks a lot closer to Elder Scrolls/M&B/For Honor and other such third person RPGs, which is great.

I'd totally be willing to get the game and give a server, or a faction on a larger server, a shot.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I might be interested, and heck I might be able to bring disgruntled SWTOR players in as well.

I've been interested in this myself. Just been trying to find a potential group of people to play with regularly.

I bought it just to try it right now. I'll make sure to stay under 2 hours. I don't really have the money to spend $30 on an EA, but if there is an actual group I can get into, since I usually ALWAYS play solo, and the game is good, I'd definitely consider keeping or rebuying later on.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

What about performance. Tried ARK for a bit, and hated every second of it. Too bad performed imo, and still is.

I don't know about that, but I just lost 18 hours worth of download (17gb) after I closed and restarted Steam client. I was literally 1GB from being done! The whole folder is empty now, as Steam is automatically downloading the full game from scratch. If this happens again within the next 20 hours I am not even gonna bother trying this game, and refund it immediately. I don't know whether this is Steam or the game, but I haven't had this happen with another Steam game. If I can't even get it downloaded there is no point in even having it.

According to the community discussion page, when I posted a thread, someone replied saying they have had the exact same issue twice and had to redownload everything.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; February 09, 2017 at 11:58 AM.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    Moderator Emeritus

I doubt that's the game's fault, probably something went wrong with the Steam client.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Well, I got it downloaded, and it is actually pretty addictive, I really like the theme too. However, it is riddled with bugs (As expected), and nearly unplayable desync issues most of the time. I would definitely recommend it, but would hold off for a little while.

looks cool

Noodlegasm's Avatar Campidoctor

This looks pretty good!