Hello folks!

Many years ago, I started my Total War addiction with a retail Shogun 1 (Warlord Edition). Spring of the last year I returned to the glorious days. 6 campaigns almost in a row + the historical campaigns. Since the game is such a simple and quick compared to other Total Wars, I've hardly gotten the same exhaustion as with other games of the series, and be able to begin new campaigns relatively soon. Now I've had a pause of half a year and would like to return.

The thing is, the game has refused to co-work after updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The game is installed without a problem, the intro movies runs just fine, the main menu music begins but then it crashes with an error message 'shog_CPP has stopped working'.

I tried looking around the internet, and didn't find the help I need. Apparently the error message doesn't really tell what is the real problem, and otherwise there's no given solutions anyways. The compatibility mode trick doesn't work (truth is, I've yet to have a case where it has made the game work). Patches don't work and I even tried a 'no-cd crack' (as it has been a working solution on some other old retail games), but I couldn't find a non-shady one.

The truth seems to be that there is nothing to be done. I know Steam has recently included it in their store, but given that the game has worked well in Windows 7 and it even starts rolling fine until the main menu, it feels like it still could be saved, somehow. If possible, I would prefer saving the 8€. You with more knowledge on the subject, please tell me. Can the game made to work?