Thread: Can the game be saved in Windows 10?

Samittaja's Avatar Libertus

Default Can the game be saved in Windows 10?

Hello folks!

Many years ago, I started my Total War addiction with a retail Shogun 1 (Warlord Edition). Spring of the last year I returned to the glorious days. 6 campaigns almost in a row + the historical campaigns. Since the game is such a simple and quick compared to other Total Wars, I've hardly gotten the same exhaustion as with other games of the series, and be able to begin new campaigns relatively soon. Now I've had a pause of half a year and would like to return.

The thing is, the game has refused to co-work after updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The game is installed without a problem, the intro movies runs just fine, the main menu music begins but then it crashes with an error message 'shog_CPP has stopped working'.

I tried looking around the internet, and didn't find the help I need. Apparently the error message doesn't really tell what is the real problem, and otherwise there's no given solutions anyways. The compatibility mode trick doesn't work (truth is, I've yet to have a case where it has made the game work). Patches don't work and I even tried a 'no-cd crack' (as it has been a working solution on some other old retail games), but I couldn't find a non-shady one.

The truth seems to be that there is nothing to be done. I know Steam has recently included it in their store, but given that the game has worked well in Windows 7 and it even starts rolling fine until the main menu, it feels like it still could be saved, somehow. If possible, I would prefer saving the 8€. You with more knowledge on the subject, please tell me. Can the game made to work?

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Can the game be saved in Windows 10?

Hi Samittaja! I'm unsure exactly what the problem is you are experiencing, but given it has occurred now you have switched to Windows 10, it may be related to the SafeDisc issue. Please check this thread out and report back (either here or in that thread):

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...er-work-at-all

Basically, a driver that existed on older systems is disabled by default in Windows 10. There are a few workarounds in that thread which you might be able to try.

For Medieval II players like myself, I didn't get as far in as intro movies or main menu music. Rather, the game does literally nothing. But, no one has reported what happens when they try to run Shogun, so what you experience might be the SafeDisc problem, and you're just the first to post about it.

If it's not SafeDisc, at least we can rule it out and look for whatever else is causing the problem.

Any questions, just let me know.

Hello Frunk!

Thanks for the link! I'm currently too busy to take a proper closer look, but I'll check it some time.

Just to clarify, I have found some sites where someone has reported the same 'shog_CPP has stopped working' error. Interestingly one was sent back in...

*regoogling*

2008. So this error is not necessarily caused by Windows 8 to 10 for all players. However, none of the solutions I've tried so far has fixed the problem. I guess if the solutions given in your link does not work, I'm forced to buy the steam version, at least it should function as proven by Legend.

Well, 8€ is not much.

I recently watched LegendofTotalWar play a Mori campaign which he just uploaded to youtube not long ago. Maybe you can ask him what his OP system is as he saved the game many times. I would think he would have windows 10. Sorry I can't be of more help. I used to own this game and loved it and I plan on buying it again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Samittaja View Post
    Hello Frunk!

Thanks for the link! I'm currently too busy to take a proper closer look, but I'll check it some time.

Just to clarify, I have found some sites where someone has reported the same 'shog_CPP has stopped working' error. Interestingly one was sent back in...

*regoogling*

2008. So this error is not necessarily caused by Windows 8 to 10 for all players. However, none of the solutions I've tried so far has fixed the problem. I guess if the solutions given in your link does not work, I'm forced to buy the steam version, at least it should function as proven by Legend.

Well, 8€ is not much.
    Sorry I did not see you already knew Legend had the game. I did not even know Steam has this old game for sale. I was going to look on Amazon but maybe I will get it through steam. Thank you.

Hello again!

Unfortunately I was unable to make the game work. The problem I have might not be caused by SafeDisc in the first place, but timing is too convenient, I give you that. But thanks for the solutions anyways, Frunk.

The easy-ish solution I did no longer have the driver, but neither does the Windows update exist. Proven by the attempt to do the same on other old retail games. Don't know why this is so.
    The cool new solution I tried this, but it had no effect.
    The un-cool solution I had tried this even before asking for help here, and I wasn't surprised to see not working as Steam does not accept to add just any games to the library. And by this I mean properly added, not just adding the shortcut.
    Last edited by Samittaja; March 07, 2017 at 07:26 PM.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that, Samittaja. If I come across any solution in the future, I'll contact you via PM.

Thanks Frunk.

I haven't re-bought the game yet, so the advice won't go to waste, if you just happen to find anything. I am a patient fellow.

I just suggest you make it public. Somebody just might have the same problem as I. Or save the disc despite bying the game again on a digital service, in hopes of perhaps being able to gift it forwards. Or something, who knows.
    Last edited by Samittaja; April 05, 2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Corrected misspelling and general improvements