Thread: Seeking advice before re-entering the Total War universe...

Default Seeking advice before re-entering the Total War universe...

I am just starting to get back to Total War after several long stints with my favorites MTW2 and NTW.

I now want to try my hand at modding and create a campaign for Gesar : Total War. Gesar is an oral epic set in an ancient Himalayan kingdom.

As such here is my list of questions and observations:

1 - Does anyone know of existing efforts to take on this subject?

2 - I had been tracking progress on a mod called All Under Heaven for MTW2 but it appears to be dead. Does anyone know the status on this work?

3 - I recently bought RTW2 thinking that I would start with that as a platform but I am quite disappointed with the base game. The Campaign interface is unbeautiful. The information for characters, resources, tech tree etc.. are all over the place making it very difficulty to get a picture of how things are going and why. Is there a mod that improves this aspect of the game or should I just give up on Rome?

4 - Assuming I abandon Rome, can someone recommend a different Total War that is solid and modable between Medieval 2 or Attilla ? Does the Attila game include full campaigns or is it just single battles?

Thanks for any help with the meandering list of questions….

Default Re: Seeking advice before re-entering the Total War universe...

Hi,
    1. There's nothing like that in TWC or in Steam Workshop, as far as I know.

2. No idea, sorry.

3. Generally, the go-to overhaul mod for Rome 2 is Divide Et Imperia (DEI). It improves the base game for characters, resources and the tech tree, amongst a suite of other changes. You'll find it in TWC under Rome 2 hosted mods. The base game for Rome 2 is pretty poor in my opinion, so the DEI team, for all their talents, cannot undo all the atrocious design decisions.

4. I assume you would want to mod the map in order to create a campaign set in the Himalayas. As I understand it, the only TW with a moddable map is Shogun 2. However, I'm led to believe it's a difficult and buggy process, so very few modders have pushed through to create changes to the base map.

Attila is a full campaign with a European map roughly the same as Rome 2's. Its DLCs include maps of Western Europe (Age of Charlemagne) and Western Europe + North Africa (The Last Roman). Attila's maps cannot be modded. It's a far better game than Rome 2, by the way.

As such, I believe you would have to use MTW2 for your project. Good luck, it sounds intriguing. I would certainly try it out.