View Poll Results: The AI seems to have a problem in the current version with the high upkeep costs, leading to easy bankruptcy in wartime if they loose important regions or trade routes. What should be done ?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • It does not seem to be a problem for me.

2 20.00%
  • Lower the unit upkeep costs back to normal (currently x2). Larger armies, easy to replenish in war.

4 40.00%
  • Lower the unit upkeep costs back to normal, and increase recruitment and replenishment cost to compensate. Larger armies, but harder to replenish in war.

4 40.00%
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Feedback and suggestions

Goutlard's Avatar Janissary

Icon3 Feedback and suggestions

Feedback and Suggestions Thread :

Post your feedback and suggestions here !
    We will occasionally post polls here ; concerning gameplay choices and direction choices for the mod ; as to follow the will of the community as to what direction the future updates should take !

I remind to you that this entire forum is subject to the Total War Center Official Terms of Service !
    Remember to look at the Upcoming update information, before posting something that is already planned ; or bringing up an already known issue !

Have a good day !
    Last edited by Goutlard; January 30, 2017 at 01:25 PM.
    Wind from the East's Awards :

Default Re: Feedback and suggestions :

So, downloaded this one. I'll see how it plays out.

Edit : Several turns into a game. So far, impressive.
    Last edited by Goutlard; February 01, 2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Goutlard : Consecutive posting is forbidden by the TWC Official Terms, edit your messages rather than posting twice :)

Default Re: Feedback and suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Several turns into a game. So far, impressive.
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it !
    I've found some issues myself which I'll balance, patch up and fix in the next release. I list them in the "Upcoming Update Information".
    If you find any other feel free to tell me !

And, do you have an issue with the trade window ? Since I have just received feedback of a crash when opening it that I didn't manage to reproduce. There was such an issue at earlier versions, but I have normally fixed it in 2.5.5.

Hi Goutlard. Where can I find information about the changes in European factions?

Quote Originally Posted by Goutlard View Post
    Thank you, I'm glad you like it !
    I've found some issues myself which I'll balance, patch up and fix in the next release. I list them in the "Upcoming Update Information".
    If you find any other feel free to tell me !

And, do you have an issue with the trade window ? Since I have just received feedback of a crash when opening it that I didn't manage to reproduce. There was such an issue at earlier versions, but I have normally fixed it in 2.5.5.
    No crash at my end. I'll let you know if I experience one.

I noticed that as you advance in naval technology you are not able to build bigger and better ships. Am i missing something?

All in all I like what you did with the ships and naval battles.
    Last edited by Goutlard; January 12, 2018 at 08:03 AM.

I noticed that as you advance in naval technology you are not able to build bigger and better ships. Am i missing something?

All in all I like what you did with the ships and naval battles.
    Technologies do not unlock larger warships, they unlock more complex and advanced ports. You have to build them to build larger warships.
    Trade ports also get larger warships over time albeit nowhere near as fast as military dockyards.

I've made it so that warships do not sink as fast as in Empire Total War and are still controlable to an extent whilst sinking ; as well as leveled out the competence of the ship crew. Larger ships tended to have much worse crew, smaller ships much better one that ended in very odd situations.

Last element is that faster ships are more likely to rout, since they can flee more easily, than slower ones.

Quote Originally Posted by musketer View Post
    Hi Goutlard. Where can I find information about the changes in European factions?
    For European Factions nominally, listed in the Mod Characteristics thread the European Factions. Not that many new units, yet all current units have new textures, and another balance. The effects of all buildings are edited in the same way ; and generally diplomacy is also edited.

The main difference you'd see if you play with European Factions is that the diplomacy is very different ; there are new models, new filters, new graphics in battle, especially related to smoke and gunfire, and the battle gameplay, and campaign gameplay that have changed to an extent.

If you want more units for the european factions I suggest you try the Add Units Mod submod that adds so many units to every faction.
    Last edited by Goutlard; February 02, 2017 at 03:41 PM.

Thank you for uploading 2.5.6 and the Additional Units Mod.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Congrats for your new forum section. This mod has very unique Ottoman Units and looks actual historical.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Congrats for your new forum section. This mod has very unique Ottoman Units and looks actual historical.
    Thank you . I am glad to have a forum section indeed.
    Whilst the models may not be actually accurate (most of the troops did not have standardized uniforms ; nor perfectly standardized weaponry) which is simply utterly impossible to represent, the unit kinds, and organization of the military is as accurate as I could get it. I have also tried to include the effects of the peculiar Ottoman administration system through pre-activated technologies.

Thank you for uploading 2.5.6 and the Additional Units Mod.
    You are welcome.
    I hope that it can make European Factions more enjoyable to play !

I'm playing as Britain and I've captured Belgium. I've had it for 4 turns now. Everything is built up as it should be, but I can't trade with Westphalia. Is this a bug?

I'm playing as Britain and I've captured Belgium. I've had it for 4 turns now. Everything is built up as it should be, but I can't trade with Westphalia. Is this a bug?
    That's an odd issue; since I haven't touched at all at land trade routes, or anything of the sort. I have actually no idea how to edit those, even !
    So, I suppose that it might be that there is no land trade routes between the two regions ; or that they are actually already used.
    If that's an issue, it is most likely a vanilla one, not related to what I edited

Thanks for the mod.Its looks really great.But I must ask someting before play.Is this mod make ottomans super-ultra-mega powerful like other ottoman mods? I can understand some buff but most of the ottoman mods just make them invicible tanks.So I would be happy if you can answer that.

Also Is there a chance of getting country units separately(For example is it possible play vanilla campaing with expanded persian roster)

Quote Originally Posted by karasis View Post
    Thanks for the mod.Its looks really great.But I must ask someting before play.Is this mod make ottomans super-ultra-mega powerful like other ottoman mods? I can understand some buff but most of the ottoman mods just make them invicible tanks.So I would be happy if you can answer that.

Also Is there a chance of getting country units separately(For example is it possible play vanilla campaing with expanded persian roster)
    All units are balanced to the same settings, based on vanilla units.
    There are no new units being stronger than previous pre-existing vanilla units.

I have found that with this mod the Ottoman as AI fares much worse than in the vanilla setting, for whilst their army is more varied and therefore complete ; and there is the capacity to recruit a large Janissary army which makes a force to be reckoned with most certainly, since they are now fearsome old-fashionned elite units, individually soldiers as strong as European elite units, but not improving with technologies (no charge bonus, no bayonet, no square formation..) Therefore, not as cost effective as line-infantry and their nizam-I cedit equivalent.

However, the campaign for the Ottomans is truly challenging, with disadvantages at the beginning related to the old feudal system. Modernizing is difficult to control due to civil unrest, upper-class and janissary revolts would have massively taken place historically. Challenging especially to newer players, or to the AI, that often tends to loose regions to revolts, mameluke revolts for example which did historically happen. Still, they happen a little too early to be historically accurate . I am trying to fix that. So, spends a long time trying to modernize with internal struggles.

--

Edit : If you are interested in more elite units for all factions, I suggest Additional Units Mod that has been adapted, that makes it so that all factions can field very varied armies, and many more elite units.
    Last edited by Goutlard; February 07, 2017 at 07:29 AM.

I found a problem when installing the mod, when I after install the mod. I start Empire: Total War and then when I click on the grand campaign, I suddenly crash. I almost forgot that I do crash if I get on the warpath campaign too, except for the American Independence campaign. I find that weird though. But I just wanted to ask if this problem was common before and if there is an fix to this.

I'm having a problem with 2.5.6 combined with your version of AUM. I started a British campaign and everything was going great: I took the Leeward Islands and Trinidad and Tobago from the Pirates, destroying their faction. Then I ended up in war with France, so I moved my army over to the Windward islands...but when the army steps up to the town on the campaign map and does the 'starting a siege' sound and animation, I get a crash to desktop instead of viewing the siege odds and the ask for surrender, autocalc, etc button page. That never shows, it just dies straight out to desktop. So I tried moving the army to French Guyana instead, and now a turn later once they're able to fight, again, crash to desktop as soon as my army finishes marching up to the capital after rightclicking to start an attack. Has anyone else seen this? I took a look at the minidump file and it says the error occurs in "UIFileInPtr". Are there some changes to the UI in the lua scripts or something that might cause a CTD when trying to load up that screen? Or maybe it has something to do with the French (colonial) autogarrison troops? I didn't have this problem attacking Pirate settlements.

Anything you can find would be much appreciated! I've had to stop the campaign for now since I can't take any French provinces due to this, though it was going great up til then.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    I'm having a problem with 2.5.6 combined with your version of AUM. I started a British campaign and everything was going great: I took the Leeward Islands and Trinidad and Tobago from the Pirates, destroying their faction. Then I ended up in war with France, so I moved my army over to the Windward islands...but when the army steps up to the town on the campaign map and does the 'starting a siege' sound and animation, I get a crash to desktop instead of viewing the siege odds and the ask for surrender, autocalc, etc button page. That never shows, it just dies straight out to desktop. So I tried moving the army to French Guyana instead, and now a turn later once they're able to fight, again, crash to desktop as soon as my army finishes marching up to the capital after rightclicking to start an attack. Has anyone else seen this? I took a look at the minidump file and it says the error occurs in "UIFileInPtr". Are there some changes to the UI in the lua scripts or something that might cause a CTD when trying to load up that screen? Or maybe it has something to do with the French (colonial) autogarrison troops? I didn't have this problem attacking Pirate settlements.

Anything you can find would be much appreciated! I've had to stop the campaign for now since I can't take any French provinces due to this, though it was going great up til then.
    Thank you for the feedback !
    I did not edit the UI in the lua scripts ; therefore it is not an issue related to the loading screen.

Oh, I have found the issue looking into the files ! Really good feedback, exactly as you had thought.
    An issue with the garrison troops. It is easy to fix, however. I'll do so in the next update.

For the meantime, you can fix your game doing one simple edit, if you have some knowledge of Pack File Manager.
    Going into [OTO_Main.pack] - [DB] - [unit_tables] - [new_city_guards].

The issue is that the recrutement zones are set to specific theatres, therefore, unable to find the correct garrison unit for the americas, the game crashes.

Normally, if you follow the previous steps you will end up here :

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

If you edit all of the [region_unit_resource] entries to global, then you shouldn't be getting any crash.

That worked perfectly, thank you! Now to resume snapping up their global colonial network while the navy keeps Brest blockaded.

Quote Originally Posted by myarta View Post
    That worked perfectly, thank you! Now to resume snapping up their global colonial network while the navy keeps Brest blockaded.
    I have uploaded the last version, 2.5.7 ! With that bug being fixed.

However, since there are general balance changes ; you'll need to download the new version of the Additional Units Mod (uploaded replacing the older one).
    That update makes elite units slightly stronger in melee, as they were before. It also is a third step in balancing the Bayonet vs Sword issue.

The question of which of the bayonet or sword is better has been a long one, with no correct answer.
    Spears are clearly superior to swords, however bayonets are basically short and clumsy spears. So, personally, I've tried to make them basically the same level.
    However, since sword-using troops were more common in nations that favored close combat, and were trained better to that, whilst bayonet using ones were mostly trained with a higher focus on longer range combat (not for russia, for example, still).

Expect sword-using units to have a slight edge in prolonged hand-to-hand whilst bayonets give a massive charge bonus !

However, the bayonet is more effective against cavalry, much more even.

Hard to balance, first buffed the bayonet's charge stat, decreased the defense, and increased offense.
    Then, increased the attack stat even more, but that led to bayonets being able to decimate sword-using units.

So, did a minor nerf yet again.
    I'll be following feedback concerning that balancing.

Goutlard, can NTW graphics mod for ETW be used with your mod? If not, can you recommend one, or perhaps include one in your next update?

It can be used with it, in fact, I already include some NTW graphics in the mod !
    Such as the filters

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast