Thread: Athens

Default Athens

Hey,

Next week we (2pers) will visit Athens (hotel in Plaka, in the best spot). I looked into some things to visit there and plan to do more when I have the time.
    Maybe some people can give some tips. What are the best museums + What, besides the obvious, should be visited . Are there any events there in the coming weeks?
    I noticed that beside the Greek and Roman 'ruins' there are many Byzantine relics and churches that are worth a visit. If I stay for 6 full days...should I make a trip to Delphi/Corinthe or explore Athens even more in-depth?

You have my absolute gratitude!
    Nepos
    Last edited by Flavius Julius Nepos Augustus; January 27, 2017 at 05:30 PM.
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Default Re: Athens

Well, the Acropolis is obviously a must-have (might've to reserve some tickets in advance though, don't know since I've never done that myself. The place is obviously very crowded). You should also visit the Agora (be mindful to check when it's open) and the Areopag, and there's a huge temple in the city centre, the name of which escapes me at the moment. Museums you should visit are the National Museum (of Archaeology) and the Acropolis Museum.
    I don't know any real insider tips so I'll leave it there. IMO, Athens as a whole isn't as beautiful a city as, say, Rome. As in most major European cities, there are places and individuals you want to avoid.
    If you want to travel about, there's lots of awesome and/or historically interesting sights, including some in Attica itself. The problem is that the short distances are deceptive, since the country is so mountainous. Delphi for example is a really beautiful place, but it'll take you a couple of hours to get there. Another really beautiful place is Nauplion (not sure how you spell it), it's basically a Medieval/Early Modern Italian city on the east coast of the Peloponnese. It's possible that it's faster to get there (from Athens) by ship than by car. Between those, there's also the island of Aegina, another great spot.
    Corinth is also worth a visit (hell you could spend a whole year in Greece visiting historic places, and often very scenic ones, too), and the old fortress of Akrokorinth commands a great view of the entire region.
    Gotta say though, if you only have six days, you'll have to choose one or two targets besides Athens itself, at least if they're farther away. Otherwise it might get a bit hectic.

I will try to pick one spot out of Athens then. I never heard of Nafplio (it looks nice) so that is maybe a thing. I didn't realy plan to travel around on this trip but 6 full days is maybe a bit too much for Athens alone.

Thanks for the tips,
    I hope others can give even more
    454-480 Western Roman Politics (Article)
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. - W. Shakespeare
    We (...) have converted the miracles of science into a chamber of horrors -R. Hull

USA knew how to gain a victory, but not how to use it - F.J. Nepos
    You will be ruled by either a crown, a clown, or a crook, and democracy assures that you won't get the first one.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'm not the typical traveller, so I can't add much to what athanaric said apart that you should be visiting Monastiraki square and its surroundings by evening time and eat some food locally. I also advice you to move to the seaside (both Phaliro or Glyphada) and look around for fish restaurants, as the Greeks are the best when it comes to octopus and squids and can produce awesome fish food.
    There are some areas in the center (Athinas road) that one would probably avoid, but all in all I have been there many times and NEVER had any real trouble.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader