Thread: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(

Default Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(

This was the best medieval combat game I have played. Historical and hard hitting physics that looked great!
    I loved this game very much and even after they dumbed the armour system down. It was so historical and the physics system was great.
    Compared to it's rival chivalry it was amazing. RIP War of the Roses... a great shame war of the vikings killed you.

War of the Roses is still played and their are still private servers paid and operating that will have to get refunds from multiplay who host them simply because the backend and anti-cheat are being taken down.

War of the Roses is still the best medieval combat game I have seen published and working but they screwed the pooch on a number of levels because they did not seem to have a good common plan on direction and some basic necessities. It's almost like their initial success took them by surprise. I noticed.

i) Blocking delay
    ii) Slow getting local servers for Australia where I am
    iii) Anti-cheat - there was none for a very long time.
    iv) They were successful enough that I seem to remember them renaming the game and relaunching it after taking it in-house and getting rid of fatshark and then gordon van ♥♥♥♥ (the producer?) moved on.
    v) They changed a good historical combat system half way through the game dumbing the game down essentially to get rid of a knight in armours advantage. People were complaining they could not slash through armour with swords. Instead they just needed something more akin to RO2's system of limiting classes. Instead of dumbing down Machine guns ro2 simply only allowed the historical number per squad/section.
    vi) Slow getting rid of exploits like when people were literally taking advantage of the realism by killing fully armour knights by cutting their leather shoes... aiming for the floor and killing them with one blow through the shoe!
    vii) Slow to balance weapons and kit.
    Viii) Then their was the whole new age female face in game. What a waste of resources.

Apart from this the game was great and I had many great physics base duels in it. Loved that you could aim for different parts of the body and that if they were covered by different types of protection that was taken into account. The weapons and armour 3D models were absolutely amazing and well researched. I doubt we will see their like again in a game. The historical setting alone was done very well and I felt like I was in a medieval battle in some maps. The voice overs were also very good.

Somebody needs to preserve Brian Blesseds voice overs before the game dies!
    BTW they are open to selling the IP but claim this is not them but some shadowy fellow in the background?

Very sad to know that I will permanently not be able to play this game when I feel the need.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Default Re: Sad news - War of the Roses servers shutting down late Feb :(

So sad for a game based on history.

It was the best of it's kind. It had it's game killing problems unfortunately. It always makes me sad when people equate fun with lesser product like chivalry which were less historical and less realistic.

Last edited by Destraex; January 29, 2017 at 02:35 AM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

What?! No!! I just reinstalled the game! I paid good money for the game. I want to be able to play it...and not only next month. :/
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

I think I remember you prefessor.

Make sure to pay more money for the next multiplayer-only game. May be they will keep the servers running a few days longer.

Meanwhile I will drink a glassfull of Tokaji to celebrate.

Why?

Dewy's Avatar Something Witty

Wotr was a great game, it's a pity it wasn't more popular and fatshark never really understood what made the game special. What was your name in game Destraex? I don't remember a Destraex. My biggest gripe with the game was the toxic community.
    Oh no the picture of my dog disappeared!

I had a few names. Can't remember all of them. But these were the most common iirc.
    [KG] Baron Norska
    Baron Von Norska of the 116th