Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Default [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

ABOUT
    Finally, after three and a half years since Total War: ROME II's release, you can now experience the good old ROME: Total War intro videos for each faction in the Grand Campaign, but with the visuals of Total War: ROME II. This mod implements remastered ROME: Total War intro videos using footage from Total War: ROME II, made by the Total War Machinima director 'Malay Archer' (check out his YouTube channel, linked on this page).

I wanted to make this mod as proof that the community can implement new video cutscenes ingame and figure out a way to get the audio working (admittedly, it is not the ideal method - I would rather get the audio working ingame without the use of a soundboard, if possible). It is the first mod of its kind in the Total War series.

FUTURE
    Since this mod started in mind for the overhaul mod Divide et Impera, there will be one released soon for it along with some extra cutscenes dispersed throughout the grand campaign - not just introduction videos. The first version released here is for vanilla ROME II only. If this mod gains enough interest, we are happy to continue doing more and/or supporting more overhaul mods.

VERSIONS

DIVIDE ET IMPERA

INSTALLATION
    1. Download the "Main", "Intro Movies" and "Event Movies" pack files below. Put them into your "data" folder inside the ROME II file directory (basically where all your mods are located).
    2. Download the "Audio Soundboard + Files" folder and place it anywhere on your computer (do not move anything out of that folder).
    3. Start up the soundboard .exe located in that folder. A window called "EXP Soundboard 0.5" will open up
    (you need Java version 7 or above for it to open - a warning will pop up if you don't have it).
    4. Go to the top left of the window and click on "File". A drop-down menu will appear. Click on "Open" and load the "Benjin_Movie_Event_Cutscene_Audio.json" file.
    5. Start the game and wait for a cutscene.
    Leave the soundboard open.
    6. When a cutscene triggered by this mod starts, a countdown timer will appear starting at "X" seconds. Press the indicated audio hotkey (shown at the bottom of the screen) between "IV" and "III" seconds of the countdown for best audio synchronisation (if you decide to skip a cutscene after triggering audio, press the "Pause / Break" key on your keyboard to cease all audio from the soundboard).
    7. Enjoy!

DOWNLOAD LINKS
    MAIN FILE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1l1...c_oalRYTdwqs7L

INTRO MOVIES FILE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ie...bH5DKzd9ko7Tfe

EVENT MOVIES FILE: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f1...KF9-V8YYWoSHlv

AUDIO SOUNDBOARD + FILES: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ue...-2PONoSfbd2EWY

VANILLA

INSTALLATION
    To install the mod and get audio working, follow the instructions carefully in the readme. If anyone has any issues, either make a post here or contact me directly.

DOWNLOAD LINKS
    PART 1: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=927634243

PART 2: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=927675267

PART 3: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/f.../?id=927660031

AUDIO FILES: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ow0vsr...Soundboard.rar

Videos Included As Movies (22/02/2018)

Malay Archer's YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUo...ZM5J9H1G7bTIcQ

ORIGINAL POST

Hey there,

I've been working on a cutscene mod for myself when playing Rome II and/or DeI. With the help of GrudgeTheDutchman's intro video framework posted a few years ago, I have managed to get custom .bik videos playing ingame, and managed to find a way to implement audio with them as well through a simple, cheaty method (I'll explain later). So, it'd definitely be possible to make full intro cutscenes for each faction, provided that videos were made for them (thinking of making them myself - mixture of a few ingame shots and Unreal Engine 4 (for the slightly more self-contained / difficult to replicate ingame / custom animated segments)).

However, I was just wondering about one thing - which is why I've labelled this thread as "[REQUEST]" - is it possible to add these custom videos to the text-box event windows (like in Attila), and new video event windows (e.g. Civil War, Family Member Death etc)? If so, I could potentially make more .bik cutscene videos like the ones demonstrated in my quickly put together demo below (these would be the kind of ones I'd do in Unreal Engine 4).

Text-Box Movie Event Cutscene Demo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lFoljzIUz4

Movie Event Example
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJO2...i6A5MNUlNYY14p
    Last edited by Benjin; February 22, 2018 at 04:42 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Default Re: [REQUEST] Event Cutscenes

Nice work! Also, Ascendancy is awesome too lol!

Rusty2016's Avatar Tiro

Personally i would love to see this in dei, even if as a submod.

I imagine the only reason to keep this a submod is that the filesize of the mod is already enormous, which is the reason we have to split it into so many parts on Steam. Otherwise, very cool!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

That's true, each video would take up quite a bit of space (you can compress them down each to a reasonable size, but when you've got like 30 or 40 of them, it starts to get pretty big), therefore making this ideal as a submod - available for people as an optional download.

But, don't get too hyped up - this is just a demonstration of what I'm asking about; whether or not it's possible to implement custom .bik videos to text-box event windows in Rome II, as you've seen in the video I uploaded (it was done using video editing)? The only thing I've managed to get working so far are the custom intro videos for each faction before a campaign starts (thanks to GrudgeTheDutchman) with a method of implementing sound, which is what has been putting off other people to do this kind of mod before. I know that it is possible in Attila (see link below).

https://youtu.be/WthDw-k5DoE?t=6m18s
    Last edited by Benjin; January 24, 2017 at 04:13 PM.

Rusty2016's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    I imagine the only reason to keep this a submod is that the filesize of the mod is already enormous, which is the reason we have to split it into so many parts on Steam. Otherwise, very cool!
    Yeah i figured that would have been an issue.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well, if it functions, that would be sure a nice addition

Yeah this is really neat! I honestly don't know about modding this as I haven't looked into it so I couldn't answer your question about in-game cut scenes. In theory a lot of the db files are there, though.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Hey Dresden, thanks for replying - I guess I'll take a look around some of the db files in Rome II and Attila to try and replicate it with a random custom video when I have time. It might take a while since I'm currently at uni (final year - course ends in May) but in any of my spare time I'll test it out.

Hey Benjin attacking once again!!!! yeahhh! I also would like to see this.
    +support.

I was thinking if this were possible and you show first glimpses of it! This is really needed thing!

Ahhhh i'm getting all misty eyed hearkening back to the days of Shogun 1.

These are very cool though and really add to the immersion, nice job !

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Okay, I still don't know if it's possible for simple messages to have movies played over them, like in my demo video, but I think it might be possible to make new movie events, like "Civil War Erupts!" and "Triumph!" which is just a video on its own in the center of the screen.

So, you need to put your custom video into "video_tables", make a new "movie_event_string" linking to that video with a unique ID at the end of it (any number), then have an incident's payload (reward / outcome) trigger a "MOVIE_EVENT" with the unique ID in brackets at the end of that movie_event_string (e.g. movie_event_string #904, labelled "rome_triumph_1", is linked to the video file "RomeII/triumph_1.bik". "incident_rome_triumph_1" uses "MOVIE_EVENT[904]" as its payload).

Still playing around with it.

EDIT: Going to try and see if I can make a placeholder movie_event trigger on either an "Earthquake" or "Volcanic Eruption".
    Last edited by Benjin; January 25, 2017 at 04:25 PM.

Nice Benjin! keep it up !

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Okay, I got it working. I don't know about the scripted cutscenes (like the "Civil War Erupts!" stuff - I think that might be hardcoded... maybe - I tried to look everywhere for them), but I have managed to get incidents to trigger movie events. If custom incidents were created for specific things, then they can have their own movie events tied to them.

I managed to implement new movie events for existing incidents, such as festivals (Lumuria, Ludi Plebeii, Ludi Romani etc), disasters (Earthquakes, Great Fires, Volcanic Eruptions) and certain technological researches using a test .bik video (it's an airstrike .bik movie from the game "Tom Clancy's: EndWar", if you're wondering). You could even have a cutscene for a start of a political incident, and then a cutscene for each outcome of a political incident if you wanted. From what I saw from the "vo_fmv_texts" and "vo_scripts" tables, it's pretty straightforward to add custom subtitles to them as well.

http://i.imgur.com/0q4CEP6.png

So, all that needs to be done is create actual videos for these events, so that answers my question on whether or not they're possible - they are. I'll start making the intro videos + some of these minor movies after May or June.
    Last edited by Benjin; January 28, 2017 at 10:13 PM.

Yes, yes, yes!..

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Congratulations for your findings.

A long way to go until we reach those months! But still it will worth the painful wait hehe. Cheers Benji

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Yeah I wish I could work on them 100% now, but I've got to get my university projects out of the way before starting something big. The way in which I work, when I get focused on doing something, I enter a state of flow that doesn't make me want to stop which can eat into the time of other (usually more important) things - so I'd want to get those things done first, then what I want later.

But while I'm doing my uni stuff, I can at least storyboard the movies so that when I start to do the environments / animations in May, I know exactly what I have to make for each movie scene.

Also, if any of you have ideas for faction intro or incident event movies, share them here.
    Last edited by Benjin; January 29, 2017 at 04:14 PM.

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Even though I said I wouldn't be working on it until May, I couldn't help myself.

I have the characters + rigs, environment and animation assets from R2 ready to be used in Unreal Engine 4, for unique cutscenes which can't be fulfilled ingame (e.g. senate meetings, character assassinations, city street life etc).

I... might do a shorter cutscene to start off with this week / month, if I find the time again. Maybe do a cutscene for "Colosseum Built" (with a Gladiator fight)? I'll decide later.

Unreal Engine 4 Movie Sequencer

Video Length Example

Video Quality Example (0:44)

Last edited by Benjin; January 29, 2017 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast