Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: [Submod] Movie Events + Campaign Intro Video Mod

It's totally possible to create new cinematic movie events and I still want to do them (currently busy IRL and on other mods at the moment). IIRC, here's what could potentially be done - there's probably more types:

• Faction / Culture Intros (Scripting)
    • Objective(s) Completed (Success or Failure), including Faction / Culture Endings (Victory or Defeat)
    • Any dilemma (multiple-choice event window button options) outcome.
    • Any event outcome - you can set new videos to play when there is an outcome or reward for a:
      • Political Event (Trigger + Outcome)
      • Political Intrigue (Trigger + Outcome)
      • Natural Disaster
      • Unit Recruited
      • Agent Recruited
      • Building Constructed
      • Settlement Captured / Lost
      • Lots more...

There are two problems with this kind of mod which don't really inspire me to spend lots of time creating + implementing new cutscenes though:

1. Audio Modding - Thanks to CA using Audiokinetic Wwise for their audio engine in Rome II onwards, it is impossible for us to implement new audio into the game - it used to be possible in prior TW games such as Shogun II, where it was simply a text file with mp3 or wav audio files. It is possible to replace existing movies to get new audio, but that's destructive (e.g. if I replace the "Civil War" movie + audio with my own, people will view the wrong movie + audio when a Civil War actually occurs at a later time). So, at the moment, I can't have new audio play for a new movie ingame automatically without replacing existing movies - there might be some way, but it'd require someone more knowledgeable at programming than I, who could implement Caligula's idea of logging when a movie is played and have the soundboard play it automatically (check a few pages back on this thread to find it). That's why I made use of soundboards with hotkeys instead, which was the best non-destructive solution I could think of, but imperfect (a lot of people don't like having to trigger the audio manually with the soundboards or are confused by them).
    2. Event Payload System - Using Total War's event payload system causes any event outcome to play on the start of the next turn only (hence "The consequences of your actions will soon be revealed..." message is shown after making a choice for political events etc). This is why it's better to trigger movies through scripts and (I think) through dilemmas, as the outcome / reward is given immediately, therefore a video will play immediately as well.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 05, 2019 at 05:59 PM.
    3D ARTIST (MODELS/TEXTURES), ANIMATOR, RIGGER

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Awesome!
    ...even if I can't update java 'cause a total crap government program goes crazy if I do that (and I can't erase that program, I need it for everyday work)

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

@Benjin
    Stiil waiting for my special DEI buidling icons buddy

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ♔Greek Strategos♔ View Post
    @Benjin
    Stiil waiting for my special DEI buidling icons buddy
    Gonna have to wait a bit longer, I'm afraid! I still use my Attila-style building icon mod and haven't forgotten about it. I want to fill all the last remaining gaps (Barbarian religious trees, Empire Divided, Desert Kingdoms, Rise of the Republic, couple of Wrath of Sparta-specific things) before moving onto mod-specific buildings (like DeI's).

But, as always, modding time is limited and I'm mostly spending that on AAA Generals at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    [..] Caligula's idea of logging when a movie is played and have the soundboard play it automatically (check a few pages back on this thread to find it).
    I *may* be able to do something quick and dirty about that: I'll check as soon as I'll have the time

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by ivanpera View Post
    I *may* be able to do something quick and dirty about that: I'll check as soon as I'll have the time
    Please do - if audio can be made automatic, without the player having to manually press a certain hotkey combination to play the desired audio at the right time, then I'll definitely work on this one again and make the awesome 3D animations / renders for the movies I had planned.
    Last edited by Benjin; March 05, 2019 at 06:15 PM.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Benjin View Post
    Gonna have to wait a bit longer, I'm afraid! I still use my Attila-style building icon mod and haven't forgotten about it. I want to fill all the last remaining gaps (Barbarian religious trees, Empire Divided, Desert Kingdoms, Rise of the Republic, couple of Wrath of Sparta-specific things) before moving onto mod-specific buildings (like DeI's).

But, as always, modding time is limited and I'm mostly spending that on AAA Generals at the moment.
    Sure, I know buddy, also pretty excited about AAA's progress too. Keep it up

Would running Razer Cortex stop the soundboard from working properly? I have all files and patch provided by Jake, but no audio playing when I hit the hot keys. Won't even play when I am not in game either.

Figured it out. Files in the event soundboard audio files were .wav need to be converted via soundboard into .mp3.

One thing I noticed though, there are no files for Scipii or Brutii

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Due to Ivanpera's efforts these past few weeks, he has managed to get custom audio working for cinematics by writing a little application that listens for when ingame movies trigger, so that it can then itself trigger its audio externally - this means that users of the mod don't need to use soundboards to trigger audio anymore!

Here's a demonstration of it in action (skip through the loading scenes - this is a raw recording).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Z-...ature=youtu.be

At the moment, the application only works for scripted movies (e.g. fullscreen intros / endings / scripted events with payloads), not randomly generated ones (e.g. DB events / payloads etc). Despite this, I will now begin working on the new intro videos I had planned about a year ago, since it is now possible for audio to play automatically. Ivanpera needs to work on his university stuff so he can't continue it at the moment, but I still cannot thank him enough for this breakthrough - I have enough to be getting on with for now!

Crappy's Avatar Civis

Super cool! well done!

Crappy's Avatar Civis

In theory, could you make agent failure/success videos like they used to have in Medieval I, Shogun 2 etc. with this system?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Very nice indeed! Ivanpera is now officially TWC's script wizard, nobody can deny that!

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

remember to update the campaign script in the OP...

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

Will do when the forum allows me to edit it with the entire original message intact - TWC has been doing some strange things lately (I guess due to updates?).
    Last edited by Benjin; April 02, 2019 at 03:52 AM.

Only if the game API exposes triggers for those specific events.
    Audio has to be triggered by the lua script, so some (if not most) in game events will probably be inaccessible. It's not a pretty solution, I know

I can, since there's very little scripting involved d:

I just wrote a very ugly application that listens to changes in a file. The file will need to be modified in the game script, but that requires only writing on it

Crappy's Avatar Civis

Looking forward to see where this goes in the future! Worked on any cool stuff lately, Benjin? Also, really cool work Ivanpera!

Benjin's Avatar Artifex

I finished some work a few days ago which has given me time to re-organise my time. I started a new video for this mod a few days ago - can't show off anything yet since it's early dates.

This project is dead now?