Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Custom settlement problem in Linux

Default Re: IWTE - World editing - (General Discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates1984 View Post
    On a different note: Linux is case sensitive, so every time I want to tweak something I have to make it lower case first. If at all is possible, please make any new files downcased. Keep in mind that it is probably easier for me to make all files and folders lower case, so if it's too much of a burden for you to do it, just let me do it.
    Ok this is weird, I simply copied the paths from a vanilla settlement, and just like TATWs paths, they use upper case letters:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well, if you get the IWTE to run on your Linux you can easily fix the paths for all settlements, I dont know if its possible to edit them via hex editor and save, mak might know more about this. A great post by her explaining how the wall texture changing works you find here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14732667
    Last edited by xHolyCrusader; January 11, 2017 at 09:25 PM.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Late for the party, but maybe it helps:

With regards to banners we noticed in 1648 that when using custom models you needed to define an absolute path in descr_banners_new, else the mod would use the vanilla models even if the new models were in the correct directory. Textures were however not affected. Example:
    Code:
    <Banner Name="main_spear" MainMesh="mods\1648_2\data\banners\main_spear.mesh" MiniMesh="mods\1648_2\data\banners\mini_spear.mesh" GeneralMesh="mods\1648_2\data\banners\main_general.mesh" BuildingMesh="mods\1648_2\data\banners\main_spear.mesh" EffectOffsetX="0.0" EffectOffsetY="8.1" EffectOffsetZ="-0.1">
             <Textures>
                <Texture Faction="poland" DiffuseMap="banners\textures\Faction_banner_poland.texture" TranslucencyMap="banners\textures\Faction_banner_trans.texture"/>
    Other stuff: in the EBII dev discussion re Linux I mentioned the packagedb.txt file because of it's content but had no reponse:
    Code:
    ; List of directories to search for packages
    .\settlements
    Not having the vaguest clue about Linux I thought that maybe the path would be interpreted differently then in windows.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 11, 2017 at 11:35 PM.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Other stuff: in the EBII dev discussion re Linux I mentioned the packagedb.txt file because of it's content but had no reponse:
    Code:
    .\settlements
    Not having the vaguest clue about Linux I thought that maybe the path would be interpreted differently then in windows.
    I'd expect to see "./settlements" (forward slash) there for Linux, but the Linux version of the game might be handling that slash conversion automatically already, like it seems to be converting file paths/names in files to lowercase before trying to use them (?). In any event the problem seems to be with files in the blockset folder, not the settlements one, so I don't think that packagedb.txt is the culprit here.

The first comment is interesting. That maybe for animations Linux has to be told more precisely where to find them.

@xHoly
    Nice hunch. And yes that is weird. At this point a log would be very useful.

I was wondering if perhaps the Minas_Tirith wall and gate animation folders and files somehow escaped the "make everything lowercase" routine. But no, they're already completely lowercase in the mod. These folders and their file contents...

blockset\new_settlements\animations\gate_animations\minas_tirith_gate_anims
    blockset\new_settlements\animations\wall_animations\minas_tirith_wall

@Socrates
    Pretty sure I read somewhere that you have M2TW unpacked. Assuming you haven't run your "make everything lowercase" routine on those unpacked files then can you tell us if these two folder paths are indeed fully lowercase like this...

blockset\north_european\animations\wall_animations\town_huge_stone_wall
    blockset\north_european\animations\gate_animations\huge_city_gate_anims

In Windows they are. Just trying to rule out the possibility that the Linux version hasn't changed them to a mixture of cases, to make them match how they're written in the settlement files.

from discussion with Socrates above;
    Okay, I did that; I do have the spare disc space. Made the backups, cut and pasted the two folders from the mod to the vanilla respective folders. Merged and overwritten. Now there are no blockset and settlements folders in the mod.
    Probably important note: I have not unpacked the game. So I just put the two folders from the mod inside the vanilla data folder. I already have
    Code:
    [io] 
    file_first = true
    in the medieval2.preferences.cfg file.
    I guess you wanted me to check if this works.
    Checked, i.e. started the mod. I attacked Edoras. It didn't work.
    he's tried it with everything moved to the top folder and not in the mod - so if it was a matter of anything needing an absolute path to the mod folder that should have fixed it. Unless I missed something...

Also if he's not unpacked that version of M2 then presumeably Linux can't have changed the packed files to lower case names?!

Unlikely to be an issue with
    Code:
    .\settlements
    as it's OK with some of the custom settlements.

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by With
    I'd expect to see "./settlements" (forward slash) there for Linux, but the Linux version of the game might be handling that slash conversion automatically already
    Yes, that it does automatically. I had no problems so far with the slashes either forward or backward. It's in the Terminal that you have to put it forward, but irrelevant.

like it seems to be converting file paths/names in files to lowercase before trying to use them (?)
    It is true that only the files and folders names have to be lower case. Their content can be upper case with no problem. For example:
    Code:
    start kingdoms.exe @mods\Third_Age_3\TATW.cfg
    works perfectly. I am not sure though if this applies to IWTE infernal inner workings. It is most probably so, because of what xHolyCrusader just said.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that you have M2TW unpacked. Assuming you haven't run your "make everything lowercase" routine on those unpacked files then can you tell us if these two folder paths are indeed fully lowercase like this...

blockset\north_european\animations\wall_animations\town_huge_stone_wall
    blockset\north_european\animations\gate_animations\huge_city_gate_anims

In Windows they are. Just trying to rule out the possibility that the Linux version hasn't changed them to a mixture of cases, to make them match how they're written in the settlement files.
    No, in fact I haven't, but I sure can unpack it (as my sig shows ). I started it just now. It took some 30 minutes to finish. Yes, the files you mention are indeed lower case by default.

And as makanyane mentioned just above, this rules out some of the possible causes. I seem to be totally missing the point though, and I wonder: How did it happen that minas tirith worked with the files xHolyCrusader provided? Were the gate animations/gate textures/paths different? I didn't notice, because, well, I was too happy about it to actually play the siege.
    And how did we make the inference that it it the blockset to blame? I thought I only overwrote the minas tirith folder in the settlements folder and did not touch anything in the blockset folder.

And how did we make the inference that it it the blockset to blame? I thought I only overwrote the minas tirith folder in the settlements folder and did not touch anything in the blockset folder.
    Within the .world file there are paths to the .anim files used - xHoly would have sent you a revised .world for minas_tirith with the paths pointed back to the vanilla .anims (which are in blockset) instead of the modded ones which would be in the mods blockset, but within different folder inside that.

The only thing the modded .anim files themselves actually change is the path to the texture - I did have a look at that and the gate ones are all lower case, the wall ones have some upper-case in the path name, but not in the actual folders - but all that is the same for the vanilla and modded ones - so I'm now a bit stumped.

If you haven't already done it - could I ask you to check re-loading some of the settlements you think work, e.g. minas-tirith with the revised file, and some of the ones you think don't and make sure you get the same result??? I've fallen for this before when bug hunting and eventually realised that there was just a random element to whether something crashed or not...

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane
    If you haven't already done it - could I ask you to check re-loading some of the settlements you think work, e.g. minas-tirith with the revised file, and some of the ones you think don't and make sure you get the same result??? I've fallen for this before when bug hunting and eventually realised that there was just a random element to whether something crashed or not...
    Okay, attacked Minas Tirith and it worked fine. Attacked Edoras and it didn't work. There is some consistency in the CTDs so I don't believe randomness to be the culprit.

OK can you try both of these;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lw9vijra8...doras.rar?dl=0
    there's two folders with an 'edoras' folder within them, one is just a re-save of the TATW files (IWTE has gone through some bug fixes over last few years and it might be that the older stuff is causing problems on Linux that don't show up elsewhere) - the other one is just a redirect back to the vanilla animations.
    Paste the /edoras bit of each over the /unique_settlements/edoras folder and test please.

Citizen

I will try that tomorrow, but before that I wanted to say thank you for your continued effort to find a solution. I imagine it must be puzzling to navigate this maze of possibilities I've put you through. So, thank you!

This message was sent by my mobile phone.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    OK can you try both of these;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lw9vijra8...doras.rar?dl=0
    there's two folders with an 'edoras' folder within them, one is just a re-save of the TATW files (IWTE has gone through some bug fixes over last few years and it might be that the older stuff is causing problems on Linux that don't show up elsewhere) - the other one is just a redirect back to the vanilla animations.
    Paste the /edoras bit of each over the /unique_settlements/edoras folder and test please.
    Thanks again!
    So, I tested with the edoras resave file and it didn't work.
    I tested again with edoras old anims and it worked!

So it must be the new animations then?

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

...Yes, the files you mention are indeed lower case by default.

And as makanyane mentioned just above, this rules out some of the possible causes.
    Agreed: it doesn't seem to be a case problem.

Seems for whatever reason the Linux game isn't able to find the anim files in the mod's blockset folder tree. Or can find them but can't read them?

Thanks again!
    So, I tested with the edoras resave file and it didn't work.
    I tested again with edoras old anims and it worked!

So it must be the new animations then?
    Pretty please try this;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2pu3ney19...0test.rar?dl=0
    copy the /data level file over your mod/third_age/data file so the settlements and blockset overwrite - what that should do is give you back the normal tatw erdoras file, including path to new anims - but the anims are actually the vanilla ones... that should tell us if it is the path to the anim causing the problem or the new anim/path from the anim to the new texture

ta.

EDIT: and edoras only has revised wall anims not gate so it's a good one to test on.

Citizen

Pretty please try this;
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2pu3ney19...0test.rar?dl=0
    copy the /data level file over your mod/third_age/data file so the settlements and blockset overwrite - what that should do is give you back the normal tatw erdoras file, including path to new anims - but the anims are actually the vanilla ones... that should tell us if it is the path to the anim causing the problem or the new anim/path from the anim to the new texture

ta.

EDIT: and edoras only has revised wall anims not gate so it's a good one to test on.
    I is really my pleasure to test anything you throw my way, so please don't say "please"! Afterall it is me who is asking for help and you who are doing most of the job...

So, on to the tests. This one is a bit complicated:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    It didn't work.

I will find a solution about not being able to provide a log. I am getting the feeling that this is major problem. So, I am researching that right now.

Getting a bit more stumped by this! I need to double check what we've actually tested before - but it's looking a bit like it doesn't like using anim/names/paths that aren't included in the /packs - which would be quite bad news... Hope to send you something else to test tomorrow.

Citizen

Getting a bit more stumped by this! I need to double check what we've actually tested before - but it's looking a bit like it doesn't like using anim/names/paths that aren't included in the /packs - which would be quite bad news... Hope to send you something else to test tomorrow.
    Thanks a lot for your efforts! I can't wait for it!

sorry bit longer than anticipated... (this isn't that complicated - I just got distracted )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r7jkqhyinr...again.rar?dl=0

inside the folder there's a 'blockset' folder - copy that over your TATW/data/blockset folder
    (you should end up with a new folder TATW/data/blockset/zztec)

first test copy the edoras_a.world, collision, animinstances etc from the included 'edoras aztec' folder into your
    TATW/data/settlements/unique_settlements/edoras folder so they overwrite the ones currently in there.
    thats test 1. which is just giving Edoras the vanilla aztec palisade animations, see if Edoras will load...

assuming that works... second test is copy the edoras_a.world, collision, animinstances etc from the included 'edoras zztec' folder into your
    TATW/data/settlements/unique_settlements/edoras folder as above.
    thats test 2. which is again giving it the vanilla aztec palisade animations but with the one letter change in the path name

if 2 doesn't work and 1 did, test 3; copythe /zztec/ folder from TATW/data/blockset and paste it into M2TW/data/blockset, so you've got the zztec folder at both levels

let me know which if any work!

inside the folder there's a 'blockset' folder - copy that over your TATW/data/blockset folder
    (you should end up with a new folder TATW/data/blockset/zztec)

first test copy the edoras_a.world, collision, animinstances etc from the included 'edoras aztec' folder into your
    TATW/data/settlements/unique_settlements/edoras folder so they overwrite the ones currently in there.
    thats test 1. which is just giving Edoras the vanilla aztec palisade animations, see if Edoras will load...
    Hi

I try to help with the Linux/Ubuntu Problem.I downloaded your files and tested them.

Step 1: Edoras doesnt work
    The same happens as with all the other custome settlements,

But i have 3 questions.
    1: I tested it on Dac 1.1. Does this work as well, or should i go to vanilly?

2. Your blocksetfolder i used for testing ONLY contained the /zztec file. Is that correct? Was not sure if i should use your blocksetfolder or copy the /zztec file INTO the blocksetfolder.

3. I didn’t unpacked the game. Is that nescessary for testing?

Thanks for the effort, and i really hope i can help, because i want to play DaC on Linux. I have no modding experienc but i try to do my best.

Best regards
    c.l.

Citizen

Default Re: Custom settlement problem in Linux

Ok, we move on from her then. It will much neater that way. Also @makanyane I will test the new files ASAP, as I got into some RL issues and everything went back a bit.

@c.l.
    1) It is better everything in vanilla, because DaC might have somthing different in their settlements. A simple question to their thread would make us sure, but it is prefereable to not go back and forth and to have a common base for the tests.

2) Not sure, makanyane might know. No, no: Makanyane surely knows...

3) Unpacking the game is not necessary, as makanyane is providing all the required files for the tests. But be sure to keep a backup of all the overwritten files. Otherwise you will probably have to reinstall TATW.

@c.l.
    Step 1: didn't need the /zztec folder but if you removed your mod's blockset folder then that might be why it didn't work (it sort of should have as it was repeating the re-route to vanilla anims thing that worked earlier)

can you confirm if you normally get similar results to this;
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post15216896
    ?

@c.l.
    1) It is better everything in vanilla, because DaC might have somthing different in their settlements. A simple question to their thread would make us sure, but it is prefereable to not go back and forth and to have a common base for the tests.
    agreed vanilla TATW would be easier so we know we're checking against the same thing.

2. Your blocksetfolder i used for testing ONLY contained the /zztec file. Is that correct? Was not sure if i should use your blocksetfolder or copy the /zztec file INTO the blocksetfolder.
    you were meant to end up with you mod's blockset/+all original contents and then also the /zztec file inside it as well - I'm assuming as it's a silly name it won't overwrite anything...

apologies if you've ended up with anything in a mess - I've not included a lot of the usual sort of 'make back-up files' type instructions for things I was directing at Socrates as he seemed quite experienced...

All fine
    I did backup no problem at all =)

I try again with my old blocksetfolder (i saved it) and put the /zztec file in it,

i post the results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast