Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354555671 ... LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.7 + Custom Packs [upd: aug.09/20] - OUTDATED

TrippinDaJive's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6.1 + Custom Packs [upd: dec.01/19]

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200125163533_1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	646.2 KB 
ID:	360713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200216152422_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	427.6 KB 
ID:	360714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200216153422_1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	644.9 KB 
ID:	360715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190321_1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	485.3 KB 
ID:	360716Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190341_1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	482.3 KB 
ID:	360717Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190407_1.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	503.5 KB 
ID:	360718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190411_1.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	504.7 KB 
ID:	360719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190429_1.jpg 
Size:	568.6 KB 
ID:	360720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190453_1.jpg 
Size:	724.0 KB 
ID:	360722Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200218190528_1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	991.3 KB 
ID:	360724

Yoooo Jake! Been awhile but I've got some feedback for you in regards to 1.6.1 Rome Huge! Just did 500 turns and I gotta say....it's been awesome! I'll list the pros and cons:

PROS:
    - Pacing is fantastic, it really feels immersive as you really have to plan things out tactfully and it really feels like I'm ruling an empire. The years in-game match up with what seems pretty realistic in what could've been real life (not rule half of the Mediterranean in "20 years").
    - The economy is difficult BUT if you're good at micromanaging individual provinces/governors, you can make it! So it's difficult yet not impossible. For instance, I was able to field 4 full stacks, a couple garrison armies, and 2 full stack fleets by owning only about 4 1/2 provinces.
    - Campaign AI is pretty good, particularly for the enemy AI. They will get aggressive and bombard you with army after army. I particularly remember a 16000 vs 11000 fort defense battle. It was glorious! Yet, although they are aggressive, if you manage to win, you can have some breathing room to replenish IF you manage your forces well. Difficult, but not impossible.
    - Allied AI isn't perfect, but there have been times where they actually aided me in battle a few times. I found setting targets help them along better.
    - Politics is good. I did find that I didn't utilize the intrigue options much but in the early game, I found some of them incredibly important. For instance, I was in 2 wars on two fronts (Epirus and barbs up north). I used the military admin ability several times in order to replenish my forces quickly enough to keep up. Although there was a public order impact, I just had to compensate by other means. I made sure to accumulate a bit of a war chest before declaring war.

CONS:
    - I did not like the pop-up for when a general/admiral died. Although the quote was cool at first, I quickly became annoyed because it couldn't tell me WHO died. So I had to write my forces down on paper in order to know who was doing what and where in case they died during a turn.
    - The AI would get stuck in between large cities. I think this is more of an engine thing though. For instance, the Triballi were at war at Macedon but then they peaced out. Yet, there forces were still stuck in Pella and had been standing there for 400 turns.
    - I found there was a bug with building some industrial buildings. Trying to build a quarry without any resources had some really messed up stats, like -400 public order and no income. This may have been intentional though, I don't know.
    - I kind of wish the bread and games edict was more powerful. There's too many cons for just +4 public order. I mean, I managed it well enough I suppose but it did suck.
    - Diplomacy was kind of meh. Although, I think it was just because all of the weaker nations had been killed off and the stronger factions remained. After awhile it seemed like they had trouble expanding, but again, I think this was just circumstantial. I'm sure another playthrough would have another experience.

OVERALL:
    This submod is a fantastic piece of work! I love practically every aspect of it and I will continue playing this campaign. It certainly makes the game harder because there is more micromanagement involved, and the AI is more aggressive. But the beauty of it is that it's not impossible! I remember the older versions of Testudo were incredibly difficult, too difficult indeed. But I think you've come across a well-balanced difficulty this time in my opinion. One can't play this submod like they would in vanilla, shoot not even in vanilla DEI. This submod will require you to be much more tactful and strategic. If you develop a good plan (and with a little luck from the AI), you'll make progress. Slowly, but surely. If you are too hasty, or make a bad decision, you'll feel it and it could start you down the road to a rage-quit. This submod definitely lives up to what you were trying to envision I think, and I am a big fan of this type of gameplay. It doesn't feel like I'm playing a game; it feels like I'm ruling an empire. So thanks again for your amazing work!

P.S.: This is also a good way in being able to play a video game while doing something else productive, like homework! You'll be spending the majority of your time pressing enter

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6.1 + Custom Packs [upd: dec.01/19]

Wonderful Jake, much appreciated as always.

By building fix you mean Build_Industrial_fix?

Also, I don't mind a 1.6.2 being released without the factions (especially if it is save game compatible). It'd be nice to have packs made that are compatible with the alternative hoplite submod though...

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

@trippin

- Allied AI isn't perfect: eh, I'll try by raising/lowering a little bit the CAI values but I'm not sure how much it will change, don't think there's much space to improve that.
    - Politics is good: gonna overhaul it soon (not 1.6.2), it will be much more dynamic

- I did not like the pop-up for when a general/admiral died: well I've put many infos in the message (age, sex, character type), aren't they enough? I could probably add what political party they are from but it's pretty much work
    - The AI would get stuck in between large cities: yeah, other guys reported that but honestly it never happened so strongly to me and I've noticed AI is capable to move through cities even if they don't have the "military acces" pact. Could simply be that there are some map choke points. The only thing I can do is an anti-stuck script where immobile armies for tot turns will be teleported back home. I plan this but I don't think it will come soon
    - I found there was a bug with building some industrial buildings: yes, some values were wrongly copy/pasted, use the patch a couple of posts above
    - I kind of wish the bread and games edict was more powerful: well I can check it but I don't want edicts to be too powerful. Also, keep in mind that a RPGu bug wasn't properly assigning PO values. You'll see that 1.6.2 will be pretty different in that regard
    - Diplomacy was kind of meh. diplomacy isn't easy to set in this game. I've already done some diplomacy limitators via script and tests were really good so far

- This submod is a fantastic piece of work: thx

@gnosis

By building fix you mean Build_Industrial_fix? Yes
    especially if it is save game compatible No it won't, diplomacy scripts will make it not, due to turn cycles. There is a workaround thoughbut it will require to edit the code
    alternative hoplite submod I'll see to do for macedons and pergamon
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 19, 2020 at 04:06 AM.

hi, give me a link to the video review/ walkthrough . The comparison units. Is there a sub mod for new formations? They talk at Rome and it's boring.

Patrician

link to the video: there is no video for testudo nor there will ever be
    new formations: what are new formations? alternative hoplite submod?
    They talk at Rome and it's boring: what do you mean? testudo is boring? yes it is if you don't like this type of gameplay

TrippinDaJive's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @trippin

- Allied AI isn't perfect: eh, I'll try by raising/lowering a little bit the CAI values but I'm not sure how much it will change, don't think there's much space to improve that.
    - Politics is good: gonna overhaul it soon (not 1.6.2), it will be much more dynamic

- I did not like the pop-up for when a general/admiral died: well I've put many infos in the message (age, sex, character type), aren't they enough? I could probably add what political party they are from but it's pretty much work
    - The AI would get stuck in between large cities: yeah, other guys reported that but honestly it never happened so strongly to me and I've noticed AI is capable to move through cities even if they don't have the "military acces" pact. Could simply be that there are some map choke points. The only thing I can do is an anti-stuck script where immobile armies for tot turns will be teleported back home. I plan this but I don't think it will come soon
    - I found there was a bug with building some industrial buildings: yes, some values were wrongly copy/pasted, use the patch a couple of posts above
    - I kind of wish the bread and games edict was more powerful: well I can check it but I don't want edicts to be too powerful. Also, keep in mind that a RPGu bug wasn't properly assigning PO values. You'll see that 1.6.2 will be pretty different in that regard
    - Diplomacy was kind of meh. diplomacy isn't easy to set in this game. I've already done some diplomacy limitators via script and tests were really good so far

- This submod is a fantastic piece of work: thx

@gnosis

By building fix you mean Build_Industrial_fix? Yes
    especially if it is save game compatible No it won't, diplomacy scripts will make it not, due to turn cycles. There is a workaround thoughbut it will require to edit the code
    alternative hoplite submod I'll see to do for macedons and pergamon
    Allied AI - of course, there's only so much that can be done about the AI
    Politics - Looking forward to the politics update!

Pop-up - Oh yeah that extra info is nice. It's just that the names are missing which bothers me because I rely on that info. But hey, it's not even a big deal anyway.
    AI getting stuck - Appreciate the info! Take your time, man
    Bug building - cool, it's fixed!
    Edict - gotcha!
    Diplomacy - yeah I think it's good enough anyway. Is it possible to make the AI more prone to making peace deals without breaking anything? It would be nice to have periodic times of peace (even though it's called total war for a reason lol)

Patrician

Pop-up - eh, to insert new description i'll have to do a lot of variants regarding the incident txt, really boring. We'll stay as it is for now.
    Inserting the name would be much worse since I would have to do an incident for every name in the game. Or, that would be simplier, do a refactored code and overwrite some tooltip giving you the name. Less harder but always time consuming.

Diplomacy - yes it is possible but the outcome is never certain... the scripted limitators will be fine, you'll see. Their main aim is exactly to remove some of the total war features which are extremly boring and repetitive to me

valerius karamanus's Avatar Civis

Have you checked campaign_localised_strings? I see vanilla messages can include character names by an "%S" addon. Perhaps something can be done there?

Patrician

ah, good thought.
    I just looked at that and... I don't think you can do that. It seems to me that %S defines something by taking a coded string for hardcoded events, meaning that the txt string is linked to that code too.
    I don't think you can define what that %S is referring too by doing simple loc. tabs. Have you found some examples not linked to certain events?
    But I'll keep that in mind, maybe it requires deeper checks

Is there a way to remove the TESTUDO Timeline bonus/penalty? I'm not moving as fast as I'm sure the timeline expected (What?! I like to sit back and empire build okay?!) and the penalties from the timeline are hindering me even though I havent pushed out Italy.

Patrician

jeez... you really are in hibernation there...
    use this pack, should remove the entire coded system for Beginner's Luck (it should from next turn), as a note it will make your early game more difficult since you get bonuses during the first part.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/viw65...oved.pack/file

I should release 1.6.2 later today if I keep modding in the afternoon

Much appreciated man!

I love total war, but I love it for it's big campaigns and empire building rather than battles, and war. I see the battles as a mini game to my campaign rather than the other way around. It's been kind of upsetting to see total war move towards battle focus rather than improving campaigns.

So far, this mod has changed Rome 2 for me. DeI makes Rome 2 great, and TESTUDO makes it amazing. Battles feel decisive, allies feel important, empire building is vital.

Patrician

Ah, we feel exactly the same about TW, believe me.

anyway, I didn't remmber that doing RPGu packs was such a pain...
    I'll need more time for the planned update

Hello, I was just passing by to tell you that during years, I have been reading these forums (i am a huge total war fan, playing since its first games), but this submod, made me for the first time in years to register to only say one thing: thank you. One of the best, if not the best, campaign I have ever played in a total war. Keep up the amazing work

Ps. If it is not much asking, what is the new update gonna bring? Maybe there is a previous post or message where I can read about it to do not bother you.

Also (and sorry for not editing the previous message but I could not find the button), when you say it is not multiplayer friendly, it means that a multiplayer campaing won t work at all, or that it was not tested yet?

Civis

Hi Jake, I'm a big fan of your great mod, anyway what I'm asking is, why don't you do a big mod as this one for Attila?
    Attila is a great game for a great history period but I don't understand why modders dosen't like it. I tried the very good mods made by Dresden and europa perdita teams but I think they lack the deepness of mods like dei and testudo.
    Thank you

Patrician

@michipower

well, thanks

1.6.2 will have
    - bugfixes (RPGu and industrial and a couple others)
    - some rebalancements here and there (overall slighlty easier)
    - 5 more RPGu factions
    - Harbor Administrator as new RPGu
    - some PO bonus to player when one of his armies is sieged inside a city
    - Diplomatic Limitator Submod (with 2 campaigns till 150 turns it was working as expected)

1) Set "diplomatic communications" ON/OFF depending on turns. ON is twice per year for 4tpy (spring and autumn) and once per season for 12tpy. OFF is all the other turns.
    This will diminish the "diplo AI spam messages" and also statistically reduce "AI weird diplo behaviours". Also, player will have to plan his diplomacy a little more

2) Some diplo limitations for some diplo choice depending on the "diplomatic attitude", basically if you're best friend, very friendly, friendly, neutral, hostile, very hostile, bitter enemy.
    Should be useful to limit backstabs when AI liberates factions. Liberated factions have a statistical tendency to behave that way.
    Also, player can't be, more or less, backstabbed by friendly AI
    They will be different depending on: AI towards PL, AI towards AI, PL towards AI

ps: you can edit your post as soon as you hit 25 posts (TWC rule)

not multiplayer friendly: testudo has a lot of dice rolls and dice rolls are differently calculated by every MP pc. This means that the campaign might evolve weirdly.
    Also, I'm not 100% sure that RPGu packs are 100% compatible when you multiplay, this will have to be tested. Never played MP in my life nor I'll ever will. Let me know if you test it.

@marseu

Thanks.
    A mod like DeI required 6/7 years to obtain the results it has nowadays. And the guys who worked on it (a lot) have built one of the best and most dedicated team for any TW game.
    Also, there would have never been any tesudo submod if it weren't for DeI.
    Why is Attila less modded? I have no idea, probably becuase some mechanics (like battles, Kam will confirm you that) suck more than Rome 2
    It seems that the medieval team is at a good point with their mod though.
    If you expect that any of us (speaking of guys inside DeI team as for today) will work on Attila some day then no, 99% no one will.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 24, 2020 at 03:02 PM.

Patrician

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6.2 + Custom Packs [upd: feb.27/20]

TESTUDO 1.6.2
    IS OUT!

--> RPGU (check RPGU thread):
    - rebalanced and fixed some values
    - added HARBOR ADMINISTRATOR
    - added SETTLERS (RPGu Unis for LAND ADMINISTRATOR)
    - +5 factions playable
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upd-feb-27-20

--> DIGS (check the new DIGS thread):
    - added new scripts regarding diplomacy limitators
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15879401

--> I did other changes here and there for many things. The overall experience should be slightly easier

--> TURTLE_Parts updated:
    - Environment
    - Population
    - Children

--> some new TURTLE_Weights

----------

Check OP for download links
    (hope everything is fine inside the packs...)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 27, 2020 at 11:07 AM.

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6.2 + Custom Packs [upd: feb.27/20]

Hey Jake, wondering if the old Arbitirs mod is included in this? Also, is Dresden's Sack, Liberate etc... Mod necessary to allow all factions to liberate, satrapy etc..?

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    hope everything is fine inside the packs...
    I don't think it is; I tried playing with only the DeI files and the Testudo files and the game crashes every time.