Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 924252627282930313233343536373839404142434459 ... LastLast

Thread: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.7 + Custom Packs [upd: aug.09/20] - OUTDATED

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6 (DeI 1.2.5) + Custom Packs [upd: aug.07/19]

I know what you mean and I fully understand you. Thats why I mentioned its not ur mod's job to do. Keep up the great work.
    Historia est magistra vitae. - Cicero

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: [SUBMOD: a Slower Paced DeI Campaign] TESTUDO v.1.6 (DeI 1.2.5) + Custom Packs [upd: aug.07/19]

Jake, recruitment points and unavailability to recruit outside the core provinces even with high PO and culture majority is part of Testudos' concept? or do i have a mod conflict? playing as bosporus

also, if hellenism mod, even the lite version, is loaded before testudos main packs and parts, the a conflict happen and economy festure dont work.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

yes it is. you'll need 2 regions (starting region is an exception 'cause gives +1 recuitment by default) to recruit at least 1 unit
    You can remedy that by using the military administration intrigue or recruit an auxiliary army (both will give +1 to recruit points)

I'll have to check that AoH thing. The pack seems fine to me since it just overwrites and add things, I see no conflict.
    I think I posted this some time ago which should contain just AoH aesthtical changes.
    Try it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/gi1vjz...tudo.pack/file

thanks Jake!
    You can remedy that by using the military administration intrigue or recruit an auxiliary army (both will give +1 to recruit points)
    now i get the concept right

so, to summerize,

you need 2 settlements in every specific province ( outside your core one ) in order to be able to recruit one unit in that province, correct? client states or satrapes count? So the RPGu concept become somewhat essencial for a proper campaign.
    Last edited by nikossaiz; September 20, 2019 at 02:06 AM.

Patrician

exactly
    I don't know if satrpaies/clients give recruitment points, don't think so though.

Fantastic to see you finally updated it Jake! I've been out of the loop for a few months now due to travel and life but look forward to trying out testudo finally!
    Do you have any particular faction suggestions to get the full experience? (Besides Rome )
    I was thinking Egypt, Carthage or a faction in Gaul. I'm sure they are all fun but I'd like to make sure I get to experience all of the features in the first run so I learn the ropes.

Congrats on the work mate your a legend!

Patrician

Glad to see you again!

I lke to play Egypt and Carthago a lot but keep in mind that their campaigns are really slow at start. They have a nice map campaign position though.
    Boii is the best pick for gauls, with a lot of lands to raid in every direction.
    Pergamon and Hayk are other two really interesting factions for a campaign.

Thanks. I should release 1.6.1 quite soon (it won't be save game compatible), think before next week.
    Plaese report yor gameplay impressions.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; September 20, 2019 at 01:39 PM.

Cheers mate you, yourself!
    Thanks for the info, and I can't wait to see what comes up with the new update!
    I'll still try and mess around a little on this version just to get the hang of things. Probably dive into Egypt first to see how it is, I remember it being tricky trying to handle the culture conflicts.

Patrician

Indeed but I think you'll find it overall slightly easier than what you were used to.

Hello jake, next month i will have plenty of time to enjoy a new testudo campaign and make a proper feedback. For now, and for the upcoming version may i ask somethings? A) the events about the seasons ( mild winter etc etc ) have colours according to the specific season ( Blue for winter, orange for autumn and so on ). Can we have red for season that give negative stats and green for seasons that give bonuses? Just for better on the fly observation. And b) a way to gain food via edits or indrigs? I mean a real help?

Jake, let me tell you another idea about armies and recruitment. I was always lacking some distinction between levied and professional armies. Since many nations get reforms it would be good to display this change in a more distinctive fashion.
    Why not make this under your RPGu submod by making the basic general unit into a "Levy army" unit and give some appropriate stats like cheaper and faster recruitment and upkeep and some gathering negative PO and food malus BUT only after some 5-6ish turns. For example: -0.5 PO and -0.5 food after 6 turns and each turn decreasing it further by 0.5 like the fleets work in DeI. If these modifiers should be global or u can tie them to a region or province is your choice. After the Marian reforms you unlock a "Standing army" with other bonuses and maluses.
    What dou you think?

Patrician

@nikos

UI: Testudo (and all my oher submos) effects UI are quite a pain. I know that.
    Reason is 'cause they tend to have a lot of effects with low values. This is, sadly, a necessary feature.
    Reason is 'cause the complexity and different situations of a deep strategical games requires this kind of "algorythm". Many things coming from many place trigger the will to plan and really work well, speaking of campaign balance.

The only solution coming to my mind would be to do a sort of summary into texts. Something like:
    ATTACK: good
    PO: lightly bad
    CULTURE: average

You get what I'm speaking of. This way you won't have to bother about effect list but you'll have just to check the summary.
    I'm thinking to do that for the new RPGu version. Not sure though.

For now, UI will remain this way. Seasons colors are more an aesthetical thing. It's an element the eye will catch easily.

gain food: civic administration intrigue (+2?) and RPGu land adminstrator (+1,5) give food
    When you remove taxes from a province all the food that province give is 0, keep in mind (you porobably already know)

@Dominus
    This is what I'm working on about next RPGu version (BG only, units will come later)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

01: deployed army (mostly as vanilla)
    02: marauding army (quicker and cheaper, good for plunder, cap at 10)
    03: garrison army (to defend settlements without having PO issues, cap at 10)
    04: drilling army (add recruit oints and level but you'll recruit with 1 turn more, more exp to units per turn, cap at 7)
    05: mounted army (focused on cavalry, cap at 5)

06: land adiminstrator (more or less what's now cap at 1)
    07: urban administrator (more or less what's now cap at 1)
    08: governor (when garrisoned and with at least 3 regions in a province, cap at 1)
    09: diplomat (useful to give specifi diplomay ir loyalty bonuses. One day it will be needed for the transfer region system, cap at 1)

10: deployed navy (mostly as vanilla)
    11: marauding navy (quicker and cheaper, good for plunder, cap at 10)
    12: harbour administrator (similar to the other 2 administrators)

Every RPGu army will have different campaign stances (given via script)
    a) garrisoned
    b) deployed in owned region
    c) deployed in foreign region
    d) not respectiong conditions (like unit cap and soemthing else)

Regarding your proposition I like it a lot and I'll keep in mind it. Honestly I'll have to figure out how to do some parts via script...
    But I may make a merge with the marauding army for now.
    Make a sort of halfway between plunderer/levies.
    Any suggestion for the name?

------

I'm modding quite slowly lately, I'm just a little mind tired.
    Luckilly 1.6 is a good release with no evident flaws.
    But there are still a loooooot of things I'll hopefully add, in time.
    Thx to everyone who is partecipating into discussions, I appreciate.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; September 22, 2019 at 09:15 AM.

Wow these armies are looking cool but I think its too much of them, and giving them unit caps are further reducing their usefulness. Personally I dont know what are aux. and garrison armies good for if we have cap on them. My advice is to reduce redundancy and remove or rework them completely. About the others, I think "Levy army" should be the basic army of every faction till reforms like historically was.

Patrician

No, I don't think they are too many. They resemble many differnet things (and they are propedheutic for future plans, when I'll start adding custom RPG units linked to RPGu BG).
    It's up yo you to decide wheter use them or not.
    Everyone is specialized on a particular feature.
    Strategical videogames are a matter of choices. The more and well done they are, the better the experience.

Auxiliary army (as it is now in the campaign you're playing) will give you +1 recruitment points (necessary when you own just a region in a province), +2 exp chevrons to recruited units, +1 turn time recruit + other minor things.
    Auxiliary army will be called Drilling army in the next version.

Its clear now, but why the unit cap?
    And what about my original suggestion about making the basic army a levied one? Most of us here love playing as historical as possible.

Patrician

Think you're right, maybe it's better if I do:

01: professional army (more expensive, slower but stronger, no cap)
    02: levy army (cheaper and faster but weaker, cap at 10)
    03: mercenary army (focused on mercs, good for plunder, cap at 7)
    04: garrison army (to defend settlements without having PO issues, cap at 10)
    05: drilling army (add recruit points and chevron but you'll recruit with 1 turn more, more exp to units per turn, cap at 7)
    06: mounted army (focused on cavalry, cap at 5)
    07: ranged army (focused on renged units, cap at 5)

Unit cap is needed to give importance to professional army and to keep it RPGish.
    Non professional armies cannot be the core of a battle, they are supporters, everyone with its own feature.
    I mostly play battles with more than 1 army. It is a better choice to have more and smaller armies in Testudo for strat reasons.
    So I never build an army to 20 (except rare cases), I keep them between 14 and 7 usually. And move 2 of them when I have to fight.
    It's also better and nicer to have more than 1 general involved in a battle. One mounted and one on foot for example.

Sounds good. Im in 60 turns of my roman campaign using medium parts 4tpy and Im currently using one full stack army for historical reasons but you may be right about smaller armies. (cant afford another one)
    I think cap on levy army isnt necessary if u will put on some penalties or maybe 15 units.

Patrician

I'll think about that

I've just lost my Roman campaign. I played for 62 turns and I did not defeat Epeiros. Is annoying to fight over and over full stacks that cai filed against you. Also was annoying usage by cai the heroes, dignitaries and spies. Just two towns and so much potential- now I have to fight them and rebels.

When I take advantage over Epeiros, my two neighbours suddenly declare war against me.

End of campaign.

"najłatwiej i najpiękniej nie gnębić drugich, ale samemu nad sobą pracować, żeby być możliwie jak najlepszym" Sokrates

The very first game with Rome in Testudo was the same for me. I didn't know the challenge and let Etruscia and Epirus build their armies, then they overwhelmed me. In this second campaign I attacked the etruscians as soon as possible and then gathered forces against Epeiros. Make sure to secure urself from north with trade agreements. Now Epirus is defeated, subjugated Syracuse and Carthage dwed me. 264BC. Just like in history. [emoji16]