View Poll Results: What do you think is missing from Total Warhammer?

Voters
121. You may not vote on this poll
  • Naval battles

54 44.63%
  • Moar factions

62 51.24%
  • Bigger campaing map (the whole warhammer planet if possible)

60 49.59%
  • An UI that adapts to having more than 20 units in the field

44 36.36%
  • Better representation of the underground movement and a underground campaign map

49 40.50%
  • Better sieges battles for "underground" settlements

47 38.84%
  • Better sieges battles overall

65 53.72%
  • More DLC campaigns

12 9.92%
  • Others (make a post about it)

12 9.92%
  • Change the name to "Total Warhammer" instead of the current "Total War Warhammer, aka How much War would a Total Warhammer War, if a Warhammer would Total War"

19 15.70%
  • Moar dakka

17 14.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is missing from Total Warhammer

Default Re: What is missing from Total Warhammer

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Baal View Post
    There are not corruption mechanics in this game? IN A WARHAMMER GAME THERE'S NOT CORRUPTION MECHANICS???
    Naval battles on my opinion are a must. There's the autoresolve for the people not interested but as of right now there's no option for the people who do.
    Certain factions, such Elves, are a big thing at sea too. And while the war game warhammer might be about land battles, the lore is about everything!
    There is definitely corruption, both chaos and vampiric. Not sure where the idea that there isn't is coming from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lord Baal's Avatar Praefectus

Well, with the implementation of the modding tools for battle maps and the possibility of inserting them into the campaigns, points 6 and 7 on my list might become a thing of the past.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI3cBAHaXoI&t=0s
    On the 30 seconds mark there's a good view of what I meant on the 6th point.
    Last edited by Lord Baal; February 10, 2017 at 06:11 AM.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Visit my utterly wall of doom here.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.
    Y también quieres jugar Stainless Steel 100% en español? Mira por aca.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I don't agree, a real time Total War is perfectly feasible, and as a matter of fact there is already an old game which did something similar, called Knights of Honor.

I imagine that for it to work it would have to be done in a slightly reduced scale than TW is right now, but then again, so was Shogun 2, which for a long time was regarded as the best TW game in the franchise.

WTF?
    Shogun 2 was like every other TW game round based strategy map and real time battle map.
    And again why should they change the main game mechanics?
    If I want to play real time strategy I play e.g. Star Craft, Warhammer 4k, If i want to play round based strategy I play... e.g. X-Com, EU
    If I want to play round based strategy and real time battles I play a Total War game.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    I might be totally wrong, but I would not be surprised if the genesis of Total War as a franchise with separate turn-based and real-time elements was influenced by game design decisions as much as by the technical limitations of the time. Maybe without those limitations the original idea could have been an entirely real time game.
    No because what made Shogun TW so special when it was released was that it had these two parts, round based strategy map and real time battles, because before shogun tw there was no such game
    you had a lot of real time strategy games (e.g. star craft, Command and Conquer, Homeworld) and round based strategy games (e.g. original x-com series, Master of Orion 2 etc.)

If shogun would have been just realtime or just round based it would have been nothing special.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chlodwig I. View Post
    WTF?
    Shogun 2 was like every other TW game round based strategy map and real time battle map.
    Shogun 2 had a undeniable smaller scale than every other major TW title save for Shogun 1. Smaller map, less variety, etc. I only used Shogun 2 as a reference for scale.

And again why should they change the main game mechanics?
    Why not?

I personally find Total Wars uninspired and lacking ambition since years ago. They could definitely use a change of pace. And I'm not saying that the current system should be buried forever, but there is nothing wrong on trying out new ideas. Imagine if someone at Blizzard had said "and why should we change the main game mechanics" when after Warcraft 1 or 2 and discussing to add heroes and rpg elements to Warcraft 3, to convert their main franchise into a MMORPG with World of Wacraft or to make it a f2p card game with Hearthstone.

Last time I checked those three were some of the most successful games in history. And that does not mean there is no room for old-school style games like Starcraft 2 (or the highly requested Warcraft 4).

If I want to play real time strategy I play e.g. Star Craft, Warhammer 4k, If i want to play round based strategy I play... e.g. X-Com, EU
    If I want to play round based strategy and real time battles I play a Total War game.
    That's pretty much like telling a slow-paced, tactical shooter fan to go play Quake 3 because it's a shooter. And I insist on the Warcraft example above. You have a game which started as a pure, old-school RTS and then added rpg elements, transformed the game into a MMORPG, then a card game and now you even have parts of it as a MOBA. Still Warcraft.

This is essentially the same argument people would use not to have a Warhammer TW game because "TW is about history, if you want fantasy go play something else". It's just not a valid argument. And TW:Warhammer being one of the most successful and well-received TW games in history proves it.

No because what made Shogun TW so special when it was released was that it had these two parts, round based strategy map and real time battles, because before shogun tw there was no such game
    you had a lot of real time strategy games (e.g. star craft, Command and Conquer, Homeworld) and round based strategy games (e.g. original x-com series, Master of Orion 2 etc.)
    I never spoke about what made Shogun special or not, I said I would not be surprised if the genesis of the idea was partly influenced by technical limitations.

Warhammer has nowdays a charm as a tabletop game, but I'm sure that if the original creators had had the technical prowess they would have probably preferred to create a game in which you had voice-commanded hologram soldiers disemboweling each other in real time with explosions and all instead of making it a really slow, turn-based game with dice and measuring tapes and square plastic bases for every soldier. Same goes for the miniatures coming unpainted. Now a big part of the hobby is painting them yourself, but I'd bet that originally that was just because having the miniatures come painted from the factory presented either technical or economic issues (or both).

If shogun would have been just realtime or just round based it would have been nothing special.
    Shogun was released in 2000. In 2000 if the whole game had looked likek the battle map, in 3D (ish) real time and all, people would have been mindblown.

I believe you are thinking of Real Time as old-school real time, but you can have really different real time games. Would Arma 3 be less special for someone coming from Quake 3 just because both are real time? Are Starcraft and Europa Universalis the same kind of game just because they are both real time?

They could have made a fully real time game and still make it special.

Besides, there were older games which already did that, like Lords of the Realm 2 (1996), so not that special I fear. What made Shogun 2 amazing for its time were the large scale, real time, regiment-based battles, and even then, nothing they invented (for instance, 1995's Shadow of the Horned Rat battles had a similar system). Yes, it was definitely an interesting mixture of elements (risk style campaign, amazing real time battles, historical setting, top-notch sound and artistic design), but that does not mean that elements can't be changed. Going back to your own "why change things" argument... are modern Total Wars less Total War or less special because they have a "free-flowing" campaign map instead of a risk-style campaign map like the original games?

Whatever the case, the thread is about what's missing from TW Warhammer and real-time is just not a feature that we can contemplate they include in this game, so we might be going a bit off-topic.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; February 14, 2017 at 10:17 AM.

It came to me while watching a Warhammer End Times mod.

3 way/4 way/ free for all battles.

I think this would add a lot to the chaotic feel of Total War Warhammer, as well as add some interesting dynamics to multiplayer/campaign.
    Forward, march!

Tha would be nice indeed. A chaotic, bloody melee to go down with. Kill them all, Sigmar will sort them out.
    PROUD TO BE A PESANT. And for the dimwitted, I know how to spell peasant. <== This blue things are links, you click them and magical things (like not ending up like a fool) happens.
    Do you wanna play SS 6.4 and take your time while at it? Play with my 12 turns per year here.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

besides Naval Battles:

i REALLY miss proper Formations in Battles... Rome II and Attilia is much much better in this regared

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Moar factions. Since factions are all so different now, it means i have not yet found faction that suits me.
    Bigger campaign map to have room for moar factions.
    Better sieges overall and better underground sieges.

And preferably, but not as important: UI that better adapts to having more than 20 units.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Just a better strategic layer overall.

An AOR system, a food system, more meaningful differences to provinces. Slow everything down, because as it is, I have level 4 settlements within thirty-fifty turns. There's nothing special about any of the provinces, they're either military provinces or money-making provinces. We don't see trade on the map, which I know sounds like a minor thing, but not only does it help immersion, but it helps us target specific ports for blockading or raiding.

It's just a bit of a leap to come straight from Age of Charlemagne, which has the best building and province management of any game since M2TW, and go straight to Warhammer, with the most barebones strategic map ever seen in the series.

Even simple things, like how blocking an enemy army at a river chokepoint no longer gives you a good advantage because there are no river battles, or how there's no longer any different cultures to worry about, and attacking and conquering an Estalian settlement across the map is no different from attacking and conquering your fellow Imperials right next door.

Frankly, if I could have a sorcerer cast fireballs into enemy Phalanxes in Rome II DEI, or even vanilla Attila, I'd probably never play Warhammer again.

In fact, overall I'd say Warhammer feels mostly like a game that's not quite entirely done. The way crossbows and cannons just magically reload, or how siege equipment rolls forwards without anyone pushing it, or ladders that appear out of nowhere, it just feels like it's full of placeholders.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

What is missing? Middle earth.

I hope they keep some FLC and some paid dlc coming between now and the release of the next warhammer game.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

what is missing now are the custom battle maps I want to pick and choose which ones I want to include into the campaign map!!!

CA, do this!!!
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I am still not sure what Vampire Corruption does other than hinder my ability to advance into new provinces...

Honestly, I end up inflicting 65% vampire corruption on the adjacent provinces [Empire] and nothing happens, no uprisings, no subversion, nothing.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ignore list [to save time]-
    Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

What do you mean? It lowers public order. The AI cheats though so you might not see any change...

Why people are talking about a new warhammer game?

TWW2 will be coming soon. Maybe within the year? I dont know.

*more

Quote Originally Posted by drillmaster View Post
    TWW2 will be coming soon. Maybe within the year? I dont know.
    They will have to publish it this year or people will get annoyed because its unlikely that there will be more big DLCs for Part one and the people demand new stuff.

Bringing out #2 within 12-18 months of #1 is rather annoying and reeks of a cash grab. So no more attention to the first one? It is all about the latest and greatest new thing?

On that note, is there a mod to overhaul the entire game, balance out the economy, slow down the break neck pace of battles, and make trade and economics more streamlined and enjoyable? I would like the battles to actually feel more meaningful and the game to have more depth.
    "God is, as man conceives Him, the reflected image of man himself." Albert Pike in Morals and Dogma (33° AASR)

Ferrets54, Hanny, Harith, mongrel, Setekh, Gaidin, Bismarck1899, antaeus, empr guy, Enros, IronBrig4, The spartan, the_mango55, Sar1n,

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    nice to know I dont stand alone in this
    would like to rep you for that but you must spread some rep around before giving it to lord baal again
    I also dislike the tech limitations...

When I reach 22 settlements and 7 complete provinces as Vampire Counts I can still only research one silly thing at a time and it takes 5-8 turns for a basic research item?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast