Thread: [Tutorial] How to install mods and submods in Linux (Ubuntu)

Socrates1984's Avatar Decanus
    Citizen

Default [Tutorial] How to install mods and submods in Linux (Ubuntu)

Contents

IntroductionThis is a tutorial on how to install mods and submods in Linux. I am using Ubuntu (16.04 LTS), but I guess the procedure isn't very different in other distros.

I have only ever installed mods for Kingdoms, but the procedure must be the same for the vanilla game, as long as the mod is mod-foldered.

The procedure to install mods in Linux is more or less unified. This means that most of the times you will have to practically disregard the developers' instructions on where to install the mod. Otherwise, of course, you have to pay close attention to all other things they instruct you to do.
    There is only one difference in relation to submods, which will be covered in detail later (in Step 5).

This guide assumes a SteamOS installation. What changes in the CD version of the game is probably only the folder paths, but if anyone tries it out and has any feedback, please share and I will update this post to include the information.

Where applicable, this guide assumes you know how to download a package either through Ubuntu Software or through the Terminal, so that won't be covered here.

Up

1. DownloadFirst, keep in mind that you have to leave your PC in peace when downloading. This means not using the Internet, not playing games, not reading pdfs, not using the Office suite, not having other applications running, not doing anything in general. Just be absent and let it download.

Mod files
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Download the associated mod files. Sometimes the downloaded files are installers (exe files), while other times they are compressed files (zip, rar, 7z and the like). This is important for many reasons, so keep a mental note.

pyRenamer
    pyRenamer is a handy little application one can download from Ubuntu Software Center. It has many other uses, but most of them (except one) is irrelevant to the purpose of this tutorial. Its use will be explained in Step 3.

WINE
    If you are interested in running some of the Windows programs or you are interested in playing some Med2TW mods, you probably already know what this is. If not, shame on you.
    Okay, to elaborate, this is what WINE is.
    This link is a bit more technical, but necessary nonetheless.
    And if you are feeling lazy, How to install and configure WINE is the absolute must-read. Even if you don't open the other two links, this one you have to open and read carefully, because it explains what version of WINE to install and most importantly how to configure it with WINEtricks, our next prerequisite program.

Just to clarify, installing WINE this way is not required per se for installing mods, but assuming you didn't already have it installed, this is as good time as any to install it properly.

WINEtricks
    This is the program to configure WINE. Otherwise WINE is more or less bare and in any case doesn't have full functionality and potential. Again, it is crucial to read the How to install and configure WINE link provided above, because, well, it worked great for me and I guess it will be the same for you.

About unzipping
    In case you need to unzip the files that you downloaded, you don't need unzip, unrar, 7zip or any program like that, because the default Archive Manager does it all.

Up

2. Starting placementHow to run the installer or extract the compressed file
    In case the downloaded file is an installer, you right click on it and select Open with Wine Windows Program Loader. Otherwise, if the downloaded file is a compressed file, you simply extract it by double clicking.

Now, we come to our first potential pitfall. You have to install or unzip the files in a different location. Yes, you follow precisely the mod's instructions except for the installation path.
    Spoiler for Example for TATW and Thera
    TATW's installation details instruct you to install the mod in the vanilla game folder, i.e. in .../Medieval II Total War. This means that the folder path in the installer should end with that folder. Don't do this.

Another example, with a zip file this time, is that of Thera. You are instructed to extract the contents of the file inside the mods folder, i.e. in .../Medieval II Total War/mods. Don't do this.
    You install or unzip to a different folder, completely irrelevant to the whole of the Med2TW folder. I usually choose a folder in my /home/ folder that I created for this purpose only, but it can be any folder of your liking. Why you have to do this is explained in Step 5.

Up

3. Lower casesAs you probably already know, Linux is case sensitive. In order for the installation to work, all files and folders have to be lower case. There are two ways to accomplish this and they are explained in order from easiest to hardest.

The easiest way
    The easiest way is using a convenient little program called pyRenamer. Despite having to download this package, this method is labeled as the easiest because you don't have to actually type anything. After having downloaded it, you have to do the following:
    1. Open it.
    2. In the Options menu select Files and Directories.
    3. Navigate to the folder.
    4. Tick the option Add files recursively. It might take some time.
    5. Go to the Substitutions tab, tick Capitalization and in the drop-down menu that appears select All downcase.
    6. Select Preview. It might take some time.
    7. Select Rename. You guessed it, it might take some time. There is no notification that the process has ended, so be sure to check when the little bar at the bottom of the screen has stopped moving.
    8. Exit and you're done.

Spoiler for pyRenamer picture
    The standard way

1. Open a Terminal. In Ubuntu this is done by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T
    2. Navigate to the folder where you placed the mod in Step 2. You can do this by using the cd command. So, an example could be:
      Code:
      cd ~/temporarymods/tatw
    3. Once you do that you will want to run this command:
      Code:
      find ./ -depth -exec rename 's/(.)/([/])/$1/\L$2/' {} \;

I have never managed to make this work, but it has reportedly worked for everyone else. It might take a very long time, so wait.
    Whatever of the above options you choose to follow, don't forget to manually rename the mod folder itself, because it's not done automatically.

Up

4. Final placementYou now have the mod in a separate folder and all its files and folders are lower case. Now, it's time to move it.

Copy or cut it and paste it in the mods folder of your Medieval II Total War folder. So, here is an example of a correct placement:
    Code:
    .../Medieval II Total War/share/data/mods/
    In any case, your mod should be next to americas, british_isles, crusades etc.

Up

5. Full permission and submodsThis step applies mainly if you are installing a submod. Do it anyway as you never know what might happen in the future with probable submods of the mod you just downloaded. If you do know what will happen in the future, please tell me if I will become rich.

Aaaanyway. There are sometimes some mod files that are read-only. In Linux this is interpreted as permissions. If you have limited permissions in the mod folder, then some of the files will not be overwritten, because you are not asked a question to overwrite them too or not. So, before overwriting your mod with the submod files and folders, as per Step 4, be sure to:
    1. Right click the mod folder, e.g. third_age_3, therav4 etc.
    2. Select Properties.
    3. Select the Permissions tab.
    4. Select Create and delete files for the Owner.

The reason why we installed the mod in a different folder is twofold: To give full permission to the mod folders and to avoid duplicate files. The latter would happen if you tried to lower case the submod after its placement in the mod. Trust me.

Up

6. Start through SteamThis one is easy. We are almost there, so just hang on there for a while longer.

1. Open Steam.
    2. Go to Libraries>Games.
    3. Right click Medieval II Total War and go to Properties.
    4. Select Set Launch Options...
    5. Paste this line in the popup window:
      Code:
      --features.mod=mods/modname
    6. Replace the modname with the mod's name in the folders.
    7. Start the game through Steam.

Up

7. Secret Step
    Enjoy!

Up

Useful Notes
    1. For me, it all started here.
    2. Feral Interactive gave the spark though.
    3. Mishkin has found a way to install TATW using the CD version of the game. I guess it works for other mods too, although I have never tested it.
    4. As always I will be happy to update this tutorial with any feedback that fits into it.
    5. A future update will include a way to make all files and folders lower cased by using a java script provided by Gigantus.

Up

Thanks
    I have to first thank Gigantus for all his help with this project.
    Withwnar and Ngugi had very good insights on how to avoid mishaps.
    I had to not listen to Veteraan for not posting a new thread about this . Although, at that time he was right and he has been very supportive ever since.
    I probably forget some of the good people that helped me around and I apologize.

------------------------

Edit by Gigantus: this video might be of help as well:

Last edited by Gigantus; February 02, 2023 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Added Installation video

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: How to install mods and submods in Linux (Ubuntu)

I am Veteraan, and I approve this new thread.
    "I had to not listen to Veteraan for not posting a new thread about this . Although, at that time he was right and he has been very supportive ever since."
    But seriously, this is a great piece of work and I'm sure the Linux players will very much appreciate it.
    Last edited by Veteraan; January 17, 2017 at 03:02 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Default Re: [Tutorial] How to install mods and submods in Linux (Ubuntu)

Hey Socrates, I've had trouble opening the installer with Wine. When I right click to open it with Wine nothing happens. I'm not doing anything else on my mac either. Any ideas? I'm really eager to play this mod and appreciate any help I can get.
    Cheers!

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by nsholmberg11 View Post
    Hey Socrates, I've had trouble opening the installer with Wine. When I right click to open it with Wine nothing happens. I'm not doing anything else on my mac either. Any ideas? I'm really eager to play this mod and appreciate any help I can get.
    Cheers!
    Hi nsholmberg11 and welcome to the forums!

It will be my pleasure to provide any help I can, although this is a Tutorial for Linux and I must confess my Mac knowledge is limited. So you are having a problem in the second step?

1) Is WINE generally running ok in your setup? I mean, have you tried running something else with it?
    2) What mod are we talking about here?

By the way, in case you didn't already know, there is this thread called "Welcome to TWC", where you can stop by and say hello if you like.
    And of course if you need guidance for your very first steps, check this guide when and if you have the time.

Thank you, very kind of you. Gigantus pointed me your way actually as my issue appears to be a strange one. I have only used boxer before, never Wine. I'm trying to use The Last Kingdom mod, I have MTW2 Kingdoms which works fine. Although I'm not the most tech savvy I believe I understand the process of how to mod at this point. I have an older MacBook, maybe 2009��, and mistakenly updated to a newer OS. That's made my computer run very slow, although I have tons of storage space. Anywhere else you might be able to point me for mac support on this? Thanks so much, means a lot

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by nsholmberg11 View Post
    Thank you, very kind of you. Gigantus pointed me your way actually as my issue appears to be a strange one. I have only used boxer before, never Wine. I'm trying to use The Last Kingdom mod, I have MTW2 Kingdoms which works fine. Although I'm not the most tech savvy I believe I understand the process of how to mod at this point. I have an older MacBook, maybe 2009��, and mistakenly updated to a newer OS. That's made my computer run very slow, although I have tons of storage space. Anywhere else you might be able to point me for mac support on this? Thanks so much, means a lot
    So you have managed to run M2TW and some mods through WINE already? If that's the case, then what is special about The Last Kingdom that WINE can't understand?

Let's try some preliminary questions and brainstorming:
    1) Is your M2TW a native version (from Feral Interactive) or are you trying to play the vanilla game through a program like Boxer or WINE? It doesn't matter a lot, as your problem seems to be "not opening the installer with WINE", but it might prove useful later on.

2) Did the problem with The Last Kingdom appear after you upgraded your OS? If yes, have you tried updating WINE too or even reinstalling it? As I can see, there is for Mac too this thing called "libraries" too, so you might be missing some them after the OS upgrade.

3) Have you installed WINEtricks too? Maybe there are some missing libraries in WINE or some dependencies are out of place, and for this reason it can't recognize the Last Kingdom's installer.

4) Have you tried using Boxer to run the mod? For the record, WINE is a program used in Linux (and Mac as it seems) to run Windows applications. The mod installer is a Windows application, that's why we need. On the other hand, if Boxer is the program for Mac that helps with running Windows applications and you know how to use it better than WINE, then please try that and see if it works.

5) Well, that's about it. For a Mac related thread, please check this thread and this post in particular (maybe compare that post to this one?). It's a rather big thread and it's on Third Age TW, but I'm sure you will find useful info there. Also, a quick search in The Last Kingdom's dedicated forum revealed nothing, but you could always ask there, either in the Bug Reports and Technical Help thread or open a new thread there.

If you do find a solution, please share it so that other members with a similar problem can benefit from it.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The installation is straight forward, so simply installing it into a dummy folder on a windows machine and then transferring it is an option (unless there is some weird MAC stuff that I haven't got a clue bout ) All that's left then would be to create a desktop shortcut.

Thanks. This tutorial was a great help for installing Call of Warhammer: beginning of the end times.

The biggest issue, for me, was renaming the files and folders lower case. I found this command worked

find ./ | sort -r | sed 's/\(.*\/\)\(.*\)/mv "\1\2" "\1\L\2"/' |sh

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1537426

first type cd ~/name of extraction folder/name of folder

eg

cd ~/extractionfolder/botet

then

find ./ | sort -r | sed 's/\(.*\/\)\(.*\)/mv "\1\2" "\1\L\2"/' |sh

(assuming I remembered my steps correctly)
    Last edited by Frunk; July 11, 2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Quote removed.

Dropping a comment to say this still works in 2023. Just installed Broken Crescent onto the Linux-native version on Steam and everything works as it should.