Thread: Battle won, general dies.

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Default Battle won, general dies.

So the Greeks invaded Sicily with a full stack. Great. I send in two Praetorian Legions, both with a general with imperium leading and a tribune. I win the battle, and all 4 characters survive (I didn't get a message saying they died in battle), or so I thought.

Immediately after the battle one legion dissolves because they probably didn't have enough men, and both the general leading and the tribune die, even though they survived the actual battle. This might just be an engine limitation, but I wanted to check anyway.

Also, on a slightly related note, is there a way to check if you qualify for the Polybian reforms?
    Last edited by postm00v; January 12, 2017 at 04:59 PM.

Campidoctor

Default Re: Battle won, general dies.

I've seen this happen to AI armies I defeated, far as I didn't kill their general in battle, but there were few enough men left that the army was dissolved afterward, and the general with it. I always thought of it as them deserting and leaving behind military life for good, finding somewhere quiet to make their home, and living out the rest of their days in peace. Hadn't considered it might happen to the player too!

Must have been a hell of a battle though, to have lost so many men having gone in with two stacks yourself (unless your armies weren't full stacks.. still had to be pretty rough).

f0ndiE^'s Avatar Civis

Actually, I have also noticed this. But I cannot say it for sure. I know that the msg with my dead general didnt appear. I assumed that he died right after battle was finished by friendly fire from my archers or smtng...it happend one or two times in my 200 turns campaign

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

I know the requirements, I asked if there's a way to check you actually meet them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dooz View Post
    I've seen this happen to AI armies I defeated, far as I didn't kill their general in battle, but there were few enough men left that the army was dissolved afterward, and the general with it. I always thought of it as them deserting and leaving behind military life for good, finding somewhere quiet to make their home, and living out the rest of their days in peace. Hadn't considered it might happen to the player too!

Must have been a hell of a battle though, to have lost so many men having gone in with two stacks yourself (unless your armies weren't full stacks.. still had to be pretty rough).
    My 2 legions weren't full stacks, I think they were 14 units each. The battle was around a lake too, big old lake in the middle of the battleground. My allies started to rout when I bashed into the rear of the Greeks, just in time.

If you go for the earliest version of the Polybian reform, with the battles fought etc, then, you should get a pop up message after any valid battle.

If you go for the not-so-early version, then check your turn counter and the cities you hold

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Really? I haven't gotten any of those messages. Are you sure it works that way?

It should in case of Baktria or Pergamon, so I guess that applies to the Romani as well? *summons QS*

Anyhow, only those battles qualify that are led by a FM and are initiated by you, and also they cannot be autoresolved, they had to be fought on the battlefield.

There's no message for qualifying battles for the Romans. That's just the Pergamon script that has that.

But every reform with a battle-related trigger requires you to fight it on the battlemap, autoresolves can't export anything for the script to check. Generally naval battles and sieges don't count towards the total.

postm00v's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    There's no message for qualifying battles for the Romans. That's just the Pergamon script that has that.

But every reform with a battle-related trigger requires you to fight it on the battlemap, autoresolves can't export anything for the script to check. Generally naval battles and sieges don't count towards the total.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I fight all my battles on the battlemap, so no worries there. I'm guessing I need to wait a few turns then, since I reached turn 100 and haven't gotten the reforms yet.