Thread: Error - pure virtual function call

Jools_Jops's Avatar Libertus

Icon4 Error - pure virtual function call

i have been playing SS fine for years but recently the game kept crashing with an error so i uninstalled everything SS6.4 and 6.3 and deleted the remaining folders and re-checked the steam files for M2TW.

Then I downloaded 6.4 patch from links given here and got SS 6.3 from the torrent (which was well seeded and only took about 30 mins when my p2p originally said it would take 3 hours so thanks for seeding and I will seed also now).

I installed 6.3 successfully (but didnt try to launch the game :/ ) then i installed the 6.4 patch and ran the setup thing to choose early campaign etc

Now when I try to run SS6.4 from the desktop shortcut created by the installer the game fails to launch every time. Very briefly I get the splash page for SS6.4 with the crusader for about 1 second then the program immediately closes with no error message and I am back on my desktop. what the heck is going on here?

I have windows 10 and M2TW and kingdoms are installed by steam, SS6.3 and 6.4 patch are installed in the default steam/mods folder, i have no other mods running, my screen resolution on M2TW is set to the same as my monitor which it can support, the files were all downloaded successfully without any corruption and the installers ran without incident but I dont know what to try now because nothing is working. Does the problem with the steam update from 2014 still apply now with a fresh install? i dont know what to try.
    Last edited by Jools_Jops; January 14, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
    In the year of Four Kings, Rothgar and Wulfric were laid to rest.
    Heroes in the war against the Moorwens.
    And Kainan, once a stranger to us, became king.

He took for himself a wife and a boy, who became as his own son.

But only I knew his secret.
    That the gods had sent us Kainan.
    And when it came time to return to them...

...he chose to stay with us instead.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: New Steam Update + "fix for mods"

If the splash screen comes up then the mod has started - which means the problem should be with the mod and not with Steam. Check the mod's log (it's in the logs subfolder if I am not mistaken), this sounds like it could be a problem with the modelDB file.

Apparently some Steam builds\versions have a problem executing the BAT file which can be circumvented by using the folder rename method (if you want to try this first): rename one of your kingdom campaign folders eg mods\crusades-x
    Then rename the SS folder to mods\crusades and start the mod via the Steam launcher, choosing the crusades campaign. If that has the same result then you will be best served by getting help in the SS forum here from someone familiar with the mod's set up.

ok thanks i will try that and have a look at the logs and post them here if i cant get it to work - i just literally started a reinstall now before checking the forums so i will see what happens.

:edit: well 6.3 launched fine and worked perfectly so praise be to the new gods and old for that i suppose. doing 6.4 patch now, fingers crossed ay. /blogpost

::edit:: ok installed 6.4 and run it and it seems fine. i kept my saves from before and the game seems intact. i dont know what caused the errors but i havent had to do any of the fixes mentioned yet and the game is running fine for now. i guess "try turning it off and on again" really does work 90% of the time. if anyone comes across this years from now from a search engine i think my original error and failure to launch was caused by me trying to reinstall the game without having deleted everything first. i can only assume i wasnt installing it properly or with the right permissions.

anyway i want to say thanks to everyone on the forums who helps in these threads and i hope that M2TW is still alive for 2017 because I have rome, empire, napoleon, shogun 2 and after all of those SS is the only one I still play today because its so awesome! love it!
    Last edited by Jools_Jops; January 07, 2017 at 01:37 PM. Reason: catapult space monkey abacus

ok my original problem is back and this is the reason i reinstallClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	400.5 KB 
ID:	342764

i attache the picture i dont know how to put it in the post in a normal fashion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Crash to desktop SS6.4 after clean re-install

This is a third party application error (Visual C++) - an update to it should fix the issue. If memory serves then the installation disk comes with the required versions.

Edit: nope - only DirectX

Check if any of this helps

This one seems the most comprehensive suggestion and would confirm why it worked initially after re-installing.
    Last edited by Gigantus; January 07, 2017 at 08:59 PM.

arh, I have tried this solution already with the clean reinstall - i was hoping someone would know a solution but it seems i shall have to rely on google

thank you for your help and reply to my thread. if i ever fix this i will post it again here incase anyone else has this. (i hate when your game breaks and you search engine the error message but the only response you get is a forum post from 7 years ago with someone saying "i have this problem too", i feel so much camaraderie with those ancient posts).

:edit: well i update drivers but no change. from looking around it seems yes this is definitely a nvidia problem. I have a very old gtx580 which has caused some problems on other games but here a driver update and a rollback to earlier version havent improved the situation. still getting the pure virtue function call error. keep looking i suppose.
    Last edited by Jools_Jops; January 08, 2017 at 05:24 AM.

Blog Entries

It would seem each of these articles recommends one or the other maintenance program if the problem persist after a clean up and re-install. Did you give that a try?

i have not try those advertised programs they seem like a scam like "you have a virus! download to fix it now!" but we know that there are free spyware removal programs etc

I will not install their silly adware stuff from dubious websites. also i doubt this would even fix anything.

most likely this is a driver issue that i need to fix but havent found out why yet. i would be surprised if these advertised "pc fixers" could do anything. i run many old games on my pc like civ2 and AoE etc and have had problems before and normally it is because of nvidia or windows or sometimes because of steam

::edit:: still have the same error. have updated all drivers now and checked things like native screen resolution but nothing has changed. trying to check vcredist_86 for problems; having to rely on microsoft now.
    Last edited by Jools_Jops; January 14, 2017 at 11:59 AM.