Page 9 of 378 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459109 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

I'm twenty turns into a carthage campaign (h/h) and it would appear that the high amount of gold at the start makes it a little to easy to sell trade aggreements. I could almost double my orginal 25000, even though what I can demand is capped at 3000 (haven't played the game in a while did dei introduce this in 1.2?).

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Test results showed that a big starting tresary worked better especially for the AI.
    And yes, we have changed the amount of gold you can obtain from the AI in diplomatic agreements. The player was able to abusive this enormously.

RollingWave's Avatar Praepositus

Started off playing Alanni on normal, was a biiiit too easy (but then I'm pretty experienced. ) especially since most AI are pretty peaceful. then tried the hard core and got destroyed playing multiple factions XD

Now playing Scythia on hard, seems about right, took me quite awhile to really consolidate my province (thank god the new map made Scythia much more logical.) now need some serious consideration on where to move to next, with this speed and set up just charging ahead into either Hungary or Thrace and leaving a really exposed front is risky, especially since the situation on my east side seem to be developing a lot more quickly (Sirace and Borsphoros trading settlements and then the Colchis rolling up behind them.)
    1180, an unprecedented period of peace and prosperity in East Asia, it's technology and wealth is the envy of the world. But soon conflict will engulf the entire region with great consequences and lasting effects for centuries to come, not just for this region, but the entire known world, when one man, one people, unites.....

Laetus

At fist thanks for your work, guys, DEI is Great reason to launch ROME2

Have a question, sorry if asked before
    Please check unit "Assa Barai" - HA for Nomads (Rha region, Scythia province)
    1. Unit info panel describes it as HA, but has light lancers stats, ingame it has bow attack, BUT can`t "hit@run" AND launch arrows eventiually (not in volley) Broken?
    2. Shoud it be available for train in Nomad camp2 (2nd tier building) AND in Horse studs2 at the same time?

Tnx again

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    It did. You need two armies for this. One needs to be raiding the enemy province and the other needs to be sieging the town. Just know that you need to set the first army in raiding stance before you besiege the town. Otherwise the effect wont work.
    It doesn't seem to work on me. I did as you said. But the siege time is same. (12 turns)
    And I use marian reforms for augustus, reduced squalor, adei gladiator.
    Is this a mod problem?

Tried for the first time the 1.2 beta. Custom battle. 3 units Getae, 1 general archer, 1 falx unit (225 men), 1 axe unit. Vs. 2 units Rome: 1 general, and 1 legionari unit (150 men). I was interested only in unit vs. unit behavior because that's my standard attitude to compare with the historical/realistic field battles. The Getae axe unit placed rear front to stay there. I moved my general unit and falx towards direct enemy, which placed theirs cavalry general in line behind legionaries. They start to move towards me when reached a some distance from them and not only stay there and wait like in previous versions (due to AI calculus between my total strength vs. his). It's a good improvement. I manoeuver my general just on the side of the legionarii flank and hold them there without firing the bows; just sitting there. Strange thing, the roman general suddenly chase my general till the end of the map, completely ignoring the let alone his legionarii. Next i was horified how the legionarii get slaughtered in seconds after charge, in 25 seconds routing after loosing more than probably 75% of troops and the falx (BTW, bare chested unit without any kind of armor) loosing only 30-40 men. Unbelievable. It's totally unrealistic. On the other hand, strange things occur: even I deactivated ''fire at will'' and activate ''melee posture'' for my archer general unit, some of it's troop still firing the bows...................Not to mention the useless pillum volley of the romans which barely killed 3-4 falx men in 2-3 volleys......I think it's totally screwed. That no means DeI is not a brilliant project, only a positive critique. Thank you.

KAM has clearly been lazy

Quote Originally Posted by whitegamebox View Post
    It doesn't seem to work on me. I did as you said. But the siege time is same. (12 turns)
    Is this a mod problem?
    It shouldnt be considering the db tables that each of the submods change. We will look at it.

I haven't scoured this thread to see if it has been brought up, but I take issue with the new penalties associated with being flanked or attacked in the rear. I had a spear unit that went into a melee with their full complement of 150 men, with a decent morale of 55, and they went immediately from "confident" to "wavering" as a result of losing ~3 men after receiving a charge from the side by a mediocre militia garrison unit.

I'm not sure how you could work this in, but it seems obvious to me that any unit, no matter what the morale, should not go beyond "shaken" after receiving a charge to the sides or rear after which they lose a tiny fraction of their original men and are still deemed to be in "even" combat.

Everything else battle related seems really good to me (the pike mechanic is far better than I thought it would be) besides it being slightly too fast for my tastes. Maybe increasing the standard health to 25 would hit the sweet spot for me, but maybe not for others.
    Last edited by KennyTheKlever; January 10, 2017 at 07:50 AM.

Kam is working on this stuff. There will be some morale changes in the next update.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Kam is working on this stuff. There will be some morale changes in the next update.
    Nice.

How come mercenary fleets cost less and have lesser upkeep than your own fleets? For example Trieres with rhodesian marines cost around 1k and have an upkeep of 300, while mercenary trieres cost 500 and have an upkeep of 150. Am I missing something..?

Colchis and Kartli... They are hard as hell. It is almost impossible to start as them. During last two days I have been trying to start as them. Even on normal difficulty I could not manage anything. These guys are frustratingly hard, horrible public order, lack of income, tons of enemies makes the game really hard. Even WRE on legendary in Attila is cakewalk comepared to Kartli and Colchis on normal difficulty. I understand that in previous version Colchis was not overhauled and that's why it was sort of unplayable. But now it is even more harder to play as them. I don't know... maybe I am bad but I still think that you should consider buffing their starting difficulty. BTW in main menu both of them have normal initial difficulty.

Ideas and possible requests:

Hi all,
    I am a player coming from other Total War games and now enjoying the great DEI, congratulations to all the team for this amazing work!

I have some comments and possible ideas, based on my game experience, I think would make the next version of DEI great:
    1) Recruitment process. I think the number of Roman units you can recruit shoud be limited. This could be done on a population basis.
    This would force the player to hire also auxiliaries. This would be realistic (using also auxiliaries) and would also increase the richness of the game
    since you would need to hire different infrantry troops with different features.
    At the moment, at least in my case, I prefer to hire roman infantry troops.

2) Periodic invasions or rising of great empires. Periodic large invasions (e.g. Cimbri and Teutoni similar to Mongols in Medieval War) would make the political situation more interesting. Would it possible to create something similar?

3) Similar to the last point, I think it would be great to have some coordinated invasions pointing to destroy your capital, rather than try to conquer all your territories. This may simulate Hannibal or Pyrrhus invasions. This set of armies could sack your territories, or free them to create satrapies. In this ways simulating the change of alliances (e.g. what happened during Hannibal's invasion).

Let me know what you think, and if these changes could be done at a mod level.
    Thanks again for your great work!

Quote Originally Posted by zagadka View Post
    Ideas and possible requests:

Hi all,
    I am a player coming from other Total War games and now enjoying the great DEI, congratulations to all the team for this amazing work!

I have some comments and possible ideas, based on my game experience, I think would make the next version of DEI great:
    1) Recruitment process. I think the number of Roman units you can recruit shoud be limited. This could be done on a population basis.
    This would force the player to hire also auxiliaries. This would be realistic (using also auxiliaries) and would also increase the richness of the game
    since you would need to hire different infrantry troops with different features.
    At the moment, at least in my case, I prefer to hire roman infantry troops.

2) Periodic invasions or rising of great empires. Periodic large invasions (e.g. Cimbri and Teutoni similar to Mongols in Medieval War) would make the political situation more interesting. Would it possible to create something similar?

3) Similar to the last point, I think it would be great to have some coordinated invasions pointing to destroy your capital, rather than try to conquer all your territories. This may simulate Hannibal or Pyrrhus invasions. This set of armies could sack your territories, or free them to create satrapies. In this ways simulating the change of alliances (e.g. what happened during Hannibal's invasion).

Let me know what you think, and if these changes could be done at a mod level.
    Thanks again for your great work!
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
    And pardon my slight sarcasm

1. Have you played the mod? I ask this considering the fact that the Population mechanic, People of Rome is a feature of this mod.

2. It would be possible as we already have scripted AI armies. These are not created to simulate invasions but to aid the AI under certain circumstances.

3. Im unsure whether we can directly control specific targets for AI armies, and I personally wouldnt like the idea of completely scripted invasions as they would be quite easily avoidable for the player. Unless ofc Im completely missing your point?

hippacrocafish's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Colchis and Kartli... They are hard as hell. It is almost impossible to start as them. During last two days I have been trying to start as them. Even on normal difficulty I could not manage anything. These guys are frustratingly hard, horrible public order, lack of income, tons of enemies makes the game really hard. Even WRE on legendary in Attila is cakewalk comepared to Kartli and Colchis on normal difficulty. I understand that in previous version Colchis was not overhauled and that's why it was sort of unplayable. But now it is even more harder to play as them. I don't know... maybe I am bad but I still think that you should consider buffing their starting difficulty. BTW in main menu both of them have normal initial difficulty.
    I've tried them a bunch too and it seems to me like the lack of income is the main problem. I could deal with multiple enemies if I could recruit more than 8-9 militia without bankrupting myself. It just seems like factions that don't start with at least one major settlement are screwed because they have no money to build armies or buildings. You can't hold political power if you don't engage in combat, and you can't engage in combat if you don't have an army, and if you don't have political control your public order is horrible, so on and so on. The furthest I got as Kolkhis was a really early attack on Trapezos by spending all of my money on mercenaries, but their settlement wasn't enough to provide more income even after I disbanded all of my mercenaries, I couldn't tax my provinces at anything but the lowest rate because of the horrible public order.

I don't have any issues getting started as Medewi, Baktria, Media, Massalia, etc. but factions like Caledones and Kolkhis are just painful.

EDIT: Kartli is easier though. I just skip their crappy units and recruit nothing but Kartevelian highlanders, skirmishers, and guerrilla warriors, then attack Ardhan for their gold. The only saving grace is that the factions around there love to recruit tons of crappy spearmen that can't stand up against Kartevelian skirmishers and highlanders.
    Last edited by hippacrocafish; January 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hippacrocafish View Post
    I've tried them a bunch too and it seems to me like the lack of income is the main problem. I could deal with multiple enemies if I could recruit more than 8-9 militia without bankrupting myself. It just seems like factions that don't start with at least one major settlement are screwed because they have no money to build armies or buildings. You can't hold political power if you don't engage in combat, and you can't engage in combat if you don't have an army, and if you don't have political control your public order is horrible, so on and so on. The furthest I got as Kolkhis was a really early attack on Trapezos by spending all of my money on mercenaries, but their settlement wasn't enough to provide more income even after I disbanded all of my mercenaries, I couldn't tax my provinces at anything but the lowest rate because of the horrible public order.

I don't have any issues getting started as Medewi, Baktria, Media, Massalia, etc. but factions like Caledones and Kolkhis are just painful.

EDIT: Kartli is easier though. I just skip their crappy units and recruit nothing but Kartevelian highlanders, skirmishers, and guerrilla warriors, then attack Ardhan for their gold. The only saving grace is that the factions around there love to recruit tons of crappy spearmen that can't stand up against Kartevelian skirmishers and highlanders.
    Yes, Kartli is bit easier than Kolkhis. However their starting position is also crappy. Their capital has only one building slot and the units you mentioned require tons of money and 2nd class population. Also Armenia should not declare war at the beginning or the campaign is doomed. So if we compare Kolkhis and Kartli then it can be said that Kolkhis is the harder one, however Kartli is also one of the hardest faction even on normal difficulty. Yes, Kolkhis difficulty is even more harder because neighbors hate Kolkhis more(Bosporans for example). Diplomatic penalty against Hellenistic factions must be the reason behind it.

I had no idea that Caledones were in the same situation. Looks like some of the one settlement factions are having extremly hard time.

Icon10 Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by FlashHeart07 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.
    And pardon my slight sarcasm

1. Have you played the mod? I ask this considering the fact that the Population mechanic, People of Rome is a feature of this mod.

2. It would be possible as we already have scripted AI armies. These are not created to simulate invasions but to aid the AI under c
    ertain circumstances.

3. Im unsure whether we can directly control specific targets for AI armies, and I personally wouldnt like the idea of completely scripted invasions as they would be quite easily avoidable for the player. Unless ofc Im completely missing your point?
    1) No problem for the sarcasm :-). So, I have played the previous mod, not yet the new one. I will write again after having tried it.
    My question started from the fact that, since Roman infantry are better as values then the auxiliaries ones (and the DEI team didi a great work to create many different kinds of auxiliary infantry), the player tends to create armies of only Roman troops.
    Limiting the number of recruitable Roman troops would make things more realistic and also more funny, since you would have different kinds of troops in the army.

2)Ok, I see. I would prefer some big events, to simulate for instance people migrations or the rise of aggressive new empires. It would increse the variability and change the situations in unforeseen ways. It would be great if it happened randomly.
    It is only a suggestion, I have no idea about the technical complexity of doing it in a mod

3) I agree with you to avoid scripted invasions. I was suggesting to have particular organised invasions (for instance generating some additional armies for the enemy) with the aim of destroy your regions. This could include a way of giving back regions to the original owners to create satrapy (change of the support of the allies), sack territories and so on. A more organised invasion which may simulate particular wars, e.g. Hannibal or Pyrrhus.
    I have no idea if for having this kind of behaviour we should change the AI, and what you can do in the mod.

Thanks again for your great work and for your answer,
    I will try the new mod and will be back with some feedback!

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It should be a bit easier with upcoming patch as I made crap units stay alive longer I made a typo in one place so that is why they got slaughtered that much (their models were attack by more other models at once).
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by whitegamebox View Post
    Is this a mod problem?
    I am not sure the marian reforms for Augustus is updated properly so it won't be compatible if it hasn't been updated. But, that should have no impact on the reduced siege effect. I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostrogoth View Post
    Yes, Kartli is bit easier than Kolkhis. However their starting position is also crappy. Their capital has only one building slot and the units you mentioned require tons of money and 2nd class population. Also Armenia should not declare war at the beginning or the campaign is doomed. So if we compare Kolkhis and Kartli then it can be said that Kolkhis is the harder one, however Kartli is also one of the hardest faction even on normal difficulty. Yes, Kolkhis difficulty is even more harder because neighbors hate Kolkhis more(Bosporans for example). Diplomatic penalty against Hellenistic factions must be the reason behind it.

I had no idea that Caledones were in the same situation. Looks like some of the one settlement factions are having extremly hard time.
    Smaller one region factions have always been very hard in DeI, especially at the start. Its extremely difficult to find the right balance here, as you will notice many complain about larger factions being too easy. One change here affects other starts. We will continue to work on balancing as the beta continues.

The normal, hard, easy etc stuff is not something you should go by. Most of that is either from vanilla or not changed since 1.0 - we have redone the startpos and grand campaign from the ground up so those variables have not been looked at.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----