Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Wittman's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Are the Seleucid thorax swordsman and spearman removed from the roster since the new update or...?
    Please check your PM folder-Garb.

nikossaiz's Avatar Decanus

First post here... My Congratulations for this wonderful masterpiece that gives every time new life to Rome II, approaching perfection...
    A thousand times Thanks to all the DeI Team and the Community for their loving work and patience.

From my humble opinion, the only criticism or request that I would like to make regards the starting political situation represented in the Grand Campaign...
    The 278 BCE in Italy. Maybe I can have some clarification on the choices made by the Team, if this has not already been asked previously by someone else.

In 278 BCE Pirrhus was already with his army in Sicily, allied with Syracuse in the war against Carthage, and soon he would have liberated the island from the Punic dominion, excluding Lilybaeum. Before leaving, however, after the bloody battle of Asculum, he entered into a truce with the Romans, provided that they did not attack Taras during his absence. He would have returned to Italy only in 276 BCE (after having alienated the Greek sympathies for the looting of his mercenaries and his hegemonic ambitions) recalled by the Tarentines due to the renewed Roman advance.

So it would be better to represent the starting situation in game putting Rome at peace with Epirus and Taras, although with a very hostile diplomatic attitude. Taras itself should be an independent faction, perhaps military ally or better Epeiros' client state, with a friendly-but-not-too-much attitude towards its master, just to leave some possible diplomatic space to the roman or epeirote player. Same goes for Syracuse, already at war with Carthage, allied or client of Epeiros.
    Pyrrhus itself should be already landed near Syracuse.

As for the Etruscans, they had already concluded a separate peace with Rome in 280 BCE, and therefore were certainly not allies of Pyrrhus at this time. Pyrrhus himself left Praeneste, in Latium, when he heard news about the end of hostilities between Rome and the Estruscans, and then retreated to Taras. Other populations continued instead to fight in the south against Rome, Apulii and Samnites in the first place.

So it would be better in game to put the Arretium region already in Rome's possession, perhaps, and give Beneventum or Asculum, or both, to the independent faction Samnite League instead, at war or simply very hostile towards Rome, and in a military or defensive alliance with Epirus.

This means modifying the startpos, diplomacy and the victory conditions at least, and I know that this isn't an easy and quick job for modders...

Thanks in advance for any reply, greetings!
    At this campaign set , playing as a greek faction, either athens , macedon or sparta the possibility to have the romans in greek penninsula in the first few turns is very high. So not only the factions that you mention are influenced with a very tide diplomatic space, but also all the greek states indirect have to fight the romans really really early. Seleykos tried to prevent this from happen via script but my experiense is that in every campaign i have to fight the romans very early. Your suggestion sounds good and possibly will make the campaign less repetittive for the greek factions, but i dont know how difficult is to change the startpos.

Quote Originally Posted by Wittman View Post
    Are the Seleucid thorax swordsman and spearman removed from the roster since the new update or...?
    Not that I remember, no.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

For me the food production/ values are really obscure. A prompt as with cultural influence or public order would be really handsome.

E.g. why is the food consumption at -6, although only Athenai has -2 food?
    https://imgur.com/a/hXHqIN3 picture 1

Also: what does the "Base Food Production: +1 [...]" mean? I would guess for supplies and not food? If so, it is very misleading.
    https://imgur.com/a/hXHqIN3 picture 2

Also++: every description of the regional bonuses have directional writing, so it either fits to an increase or decrease, which looks sometimes a bit odd;
    e.g.:
    "+20 tax rate. poor regions provide less wealth"
    "-12% wealth from industrial buildings. Skilled craftmen and natural resources will provide a bonus"
    "+1 food from this region. Those areas that lack natural resources may struggle to support armies in the area"
    It would feel more fitting to me if it would be expressed more neutral, e.g.: "Food production can vary depending on the fertility of the region"
    In the end i would rather omit an explanation in the first place. It greatly improves readability and some bonuses lack a description anyway.
    I made a little example at
    https://imgur.com/a/hXHqIN3 picture 3

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Not that I remember, no.
    Because i cant recruit them,all other hellenic factions can,nor do they show up in custom battle.
    Dont have any other mods,only DEI

They’re called Argyraspides Thorakitai (silver shield swordsmen) and Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou (Seleucid Royal Guard). Both are better than the generic “thorax” swords and spears of other Greeks, and the spearmen are one of the strongest units in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    They’re called Argyraspides Thorakitai (silver shield swordsmen) and Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou (Seleucid Royal Guard). Both are better than the generic “thorax” swords and spears of other Greeks, and the spearmen are one of the strongest units in the game.
    I know that,im saying that the normal thorax swordsman and spearman that can be recruited from general population cant now,and they could before.

Titus Pullo 777's Avatar Foederatus

Hey great work guys! i have a question. I play 30 turns with rome as patrician party but can not recruit patrician generals! Only nobles, equites an plebejens are available. I play without any submods. What‘s wrong? Thanks

Its just random unfortunately.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Titus Pullo 777's Avatar Foederatus

Will be possible again during the next turns?!?

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've got 3 questions to KAM:
    1) why the rate of fire for javelins is 8 per minute while for archers / slingers only 5 ? Gameplay?
    2) the description (the meaning, I don't have it in front of my eyes) for Rorari is that they'd swiftly appear at the pertinent place of battlefield while their speed is 2 (I thought it'd be 4). given their light armour, shouldn't they be faster?
    3) why Accensi are so much cheaper than Sikeloi Sphendonetai (upkeep 47 vs. 63) while theire battle value are similar (forget Defence stat, they don't fight in melee). Only fire effects should count.

@Titus - playing as Rome I got Patricii generals, so you'd get to that moment, I think.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

1) Yes, that way AI will use them better before combat starts. Archers and slingers have superior range so they start using their ranged attack earlier. Javeliners start using their ranged attack around similar range ot regular infantry, which charges right after that. Slower rate could mean that skirmishers would not be able to use most of their ammo before melee starts. Sadly AI is unable to switch targets so they would just not fire at all due to target being obstructed by own unit or just do a lot of friendly fire.

2) I can pump that up to 3, I think I originally gave them medium infantry class due to large shields and being closer to levies than trained troops.

3) Unit costs are done by math formulas that calculate it based on unit armour, weapons and shield. I presume Sikeloi ones have shields, which help in ranged exchange so that is pumping up their cost.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    2) I can pump that up to 3, I think I originally gave them medium infantry class due to large shields and being closer to levies than trained troops.
    I just pointed that there's discrepancy between descriptions (fast moving) and the stat. One may just change the description ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    3) Unit costs are done by math formulas that calculate it based on unit armour, weapons and shield. I presume Sikeloi ones have shields, which help in ranged exchange so that is pumping up their cost.
    Ok, I got it. Maybe putting it into descriptio would help the player to realize that there's a rational choice: cheaper Accensi or more durable Sikeloi Sphendonetai.

Swiftly also can indicate that they have a rapid response time, as in not needing much time to gather and getting ready for battle.

Would you please change the unit card for ptolemaic swordsmen or ptolemaic thorax swordsmen? These units look so much alike that I always double check which one I recruit or disband. The same goes for Ptolemaic Hiera Ile and Basilike Ile cavalry. Just put a different colour on the cloak, shield, uniform, anywhere or anything to differentiate them. That would be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Which population pool do these two pull from by the way? If it's 1st Class Citizenry, I honestly might just not even bother simply due to the manpower logistics.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Swiftly also can indicate that they have a rapid response time, as in not needing much time to gather and getting ready for battle.
    Do go on... this sounds like something I have paid no attention to!
    Bloody R2 unit cards allow for no description, but with the encyclopedia working better now perhaps these nuggets of info can be usefully detailed.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    Which population pool do these two pull from by the way? If it's 1st Class Citizenry, I honestly might just not even bother simply due to the manpower logistics.
    Silver Shields (pikes and swords) come from 2nd class population. These are generally the core of our army, and part of what makes playing Seleucids so fun. Like Rome, they have near-elites coming from non-first class populations, albeit they’re expensive. This allows for fielding many, large armies on multiple fronts.

The royal thorax spearmen are meant to replace the Hypatists, and so draw from the same 1st class population. They’re more flexible and durable than the earlier hoplites. In fact, these units are basically invincible. They simply don’t break unless the rest of your army is already defeated. Drop one on each of he flanks, and you never have to worry about that spot again. Granted, they’re spearmen, so while they are strong enough to win 1v1 against most units in the game, that’s not their strength. They hold.

Oh neat! I gotta wrap up my Rome campaign faster then. But this also begs another question, though I'm not sure this is the right place to ask it and apologize if it is wrong of me. How do I switch a unit from using plebians to proletarii? I've been digging through the files with an editor and just can't figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    Oh neat! I gotta wrap up my Rome campaign faster then. But this also begs another question, though I'm not sure this is the right place to ask it and apologize if it is wrong of me. How do I switch a unit from using plebians to proletarii? I've been digging through the files with an editor and just can't figure it out.
    Scripts -> population -> units, then look for the unit and change the first number from 2 to 3.