Page 19 of 378 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469119 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Skoran's Avatar Civis

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

As Rome I conquered Akragas.
    I noticed you can only build an upgrade building for weapons or for shields, not both.

I guess this is intentional? But why? If you have the resources why wouldn't you build both buildings?

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Roman aux units are special to Rome, which means they have more numbers to use as AoR units are recstriced in terms of max squad amount. Also they would not use Roman style equipment.
    I know they are special. But they look same with usual AOR-units. I offer to add little visual changes (like equipment, another unit card) to "romanised" units. IMHO, it better shows that these romanised units are auxiliaries.

Great work! Start my testing with classic Roman Campaign!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAOrH7duh34

As per the introduction, the Bosporan kingdom should be starting off in a state of war with Pontus. As it is, they just have poor relations.

Is the Cohors Tungrorum Miliaria supposed to be recruitable in Belgica province from a level 4 aux barracks as Rome? The level 3 allows recruitment of the Cohors Tungrorum but the miliaria unit is not available at level 4 with imperial reforms, purple tech researched and no other mods.
    If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute.

Is there any chance of introducing some kind of 'local archers' garrison unit for the Romans? I always thought it is a little ridiculous to have the Romans relying on slingers as their main ranged unit in their garrisons. It is also a huge limitation due to how superior archers are in firing from behind objects, along with their ability to set siege engines on fire.

Champion/Spies/Dignatories models for various factions:-

Atropatkan - using Greek Model, vs say Persian.
    Meroe - using Persian Model, vs say African (oooo can we have the old Egyptian ones here/since the Ptolomies have gone all Greek-seems a shame to waste them)
    Takahsillia - using Persian (but the old Egyptian ones would be more exotic(clearly im pushing the boat here to shoe horn them back in the mod))

Not really fussed just making sure they are as intended.
    Last edited by Wolster; January 16, 2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skoran View Post
    As Rome I conquered Akragas.
    I noticed you can only build an upgrade building for weapons or for shields, not both.

I guess this is intentional? But why? If you have the resources why wouldn't you build both buildings?
    Regional resource buildings are limited to one per settlement. You have to make the decision and those are especially powerful because they affect all your troops. To get the other version, you can find another iron/copper node and build it there.
    Quote Originally Posted by GMFH View Post
    Is the Cohors Tungrorum Miliaria supposed to be recruitable in Belgica province from a level 4 aux barracks as Rome? The level 3 allows recruitment of the Cohors Tungrorum but the miliaria unit is not available at level 4 with imperial reforms, purple tech researched and no other mods.
    I am no idea to be honest but I will look into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheKlever View Post
    Is there any chance of introducing some kind of 'local archers' garrison unit for the Romans? I always thought it is a little ridiculous to have the Romans relying on slingers as their main ranged unit in their garrisons. It is also a huge limitation due to how superior archers are in firing from behind objects, along with their ability to set siege engines on fire.
    Romans were never really known for archery, that is why we made that decision and to differentiate factions with different range units. They used to have javelins but it was requested to change them to slings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolster View Post
    Champion/Spies/Dignatories models for various factions:-

Atropatkan - using Greek Model, vs say Persian.
    Meroe - using Persian Model, vs say African (oooo can we have the old Egyptian ones here/since the Ptolomies have gone all Greek-seems a shame to waste them)
    Takahsillia - using Persian (but the old Egyptian ones would be more exotic(clearly im pushing the boat here to shoe horn them back in the mod))

Not really fussed just making sure they are as intended.
    Interesting ideas, I will see if I can look into this and change it.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Oh dear. I can't believe I haven't seen anything like this posted at least a dozen times before on this thread, but maybe I missed another discussion and it's already being addressed? Basically, the morale system has completely broken the balance in sieges. It seems that the main culprit is the "formation breached" penalty, which seems to permanently attach itself to the first units over the wall and most of the units that follow them, causing them to instantly go from confident to wavering even after taking zero losses in the initial assault. As I said, it attaches itself permanently to the unit in melee even after they've gained a foothold, and once they've taken a handful of casualties they break entirely (in sieges this usually results in the loss of the entire unit).

The first pic is the first unit up on that part of the wall, on the brink of breaking with no losses whatsoever. The second pic is of the Roman principes - a unit with good morale - breaking after taking 3 casualties even though they were winning the melee with over thirty kills.

As balanced as a formation breach penalty might be on an open field, the effect this has on sieges makes it more than enough of a drawback to have it removed entirely unless you can isolate this problem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170116193139_1.jpg   20170116194646_1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by KennyTheKlever View Post
    Oh dear. I can't believe I haven't seen anything like this posted at least a dozen times before on this thread, but maybe I missed another discussion and it's already being addressed? Basically, the morale system has completely broken the balance in sieges. It seems that the main culprit is the "formation breached" penalty, which seems to permanently attach itself to the first units over the wall and most of the units that follow them, causing them to instantly go from confident to wavering even after taking zero losses in the initial assault. As I said, it attaches itself permanently to the unit in melee even after they've gained a foothold, and once they've taken a handful of casualties they break entirely (in sieges this usually results in the loss of the entire unit).

The first pic is the first unit up on that part of the wall, on the brink of breaking with no losses whatsoever. The second pic is of the Roman principes - a unit with good morale - breaking after taking 3 casualties even though they were winning the melee with over thirty kills.

As balanced as a formation breach penalty might be on an open field, the effect this has on sieges makes it more than enough of a drawback to have it removed entirely unless you can isolate this problem.
    I had the same problem in my campaign. I'd understand if it was a pike or hoplite unit that I'd left in phalanx by accident, but it was just regular sword infantry that I'd sent up on the walls.

It also happened when I was able to knock down a portion of the wall and send some of my levies through the gap to attack some archers behind it. They were immediately taken down to wavering because of "formation breached" despite being on an attack order and engaging inferior units from the front. They didn't rout (unlike my wall assault units), but it still shows something with that morale penalty is off.

Its the old flanking penalty, with the text changed. We will be looking into morale some more when we get a chance.

I play as Rome on Vh/N.

I had a defensive alliance with Carthage from early on when epirus was still alive.
    It remained so for many turns in which i secured Latium,Italia,Greece and Macedonia.
    Carthage during this turns expaned in nealy all iberia reaching up to Narbo.

So i was super excited to fight a strong Carthage and cancelled all treaties.
    After i invaded and conquered all sicily Carthage started to starve to death..
    And i dont mean just a couple of stacks in a bad place,but everything.
    Armies,navies,garrisons.
    When i attacked the city of Carthage,one fifth on its garrison was alive.And it continued so until they were whiped out.

I have only dei installed,1.2 and no other mods.
    I dont now anything about modding and i am not the one that will give the correct answer as to why this is happening,but maybe when the AI gets big,without the bonuses it cannot handle it

On Very hard they have a lot of bonuses. You may have crippled their food production. If you want to upload a save game I can look into what caused it.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

The thing is that penalty is now zero. That is why we changed the name not to confuse the players since the unit would not suffer morale penalty from being flanked.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Is there any way to give a bonus to smaller factions in terms of higher ranked units. If you control one or two regions then you're more like a warlord than a statesman. You gain your followers because of what you can offer them. Land hunger would be an issue for aristocratic/noble families. Mercenaries would be more likely to sign up with a successful commander because of the money they can earn from looting. So the higher ranking your general the cheaper the unit cost and upkeep of class 1 and class 2 units, and gaining new territory can result in a small initial boost to the number of class 1 and class 2 citizens, as you reward your followers with land and booty. Just a thought, obviously I'm not sure how easily that would be able to be put into action.

(Sorry, this was in response to

Its doing exactly what you described? Its making you feel the shortage when you lose. When you expand, it slows you down in terms of replenishment and recruitment.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Edit - I agree it is difficult right now as a small faction. Thats why I am trying to make the lower difficulties for them

I thought I'd replied with quote. Obviously not.)
    Last edited by Cassibellane; January 16, 2017 at 04:18 PM.

rbt's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by rbt View Post
    Few things about Medewi faction gameplay:
    Kulus Bomani (580 gold) has better stats then Bilit'ti Sayif (715 gold), so why should I use Bilit'ti Sayif unit?
    I must back again to units cost. I did test, 4 Kulus Bomani units vs 4 Bilit'ti Sayif units (units from same category) and much cheaper Kulus Bomani units won that battle.

As I said, all unit costs are done by formulas. We have almost 2000 units we can't do individual costs.

Doing a 1v1 custom battle is meaningless for purposes of testing units.

My Kaledonakoi tribal confederation. Difficulty H/N. First 40 turns were hard, almost every Britannic tribe declared war on me, however after countless battles and captured and recaptured cities here I am. Enemy javelins also made me to understand the value of armored spearmen. Around turn 60 conquest of Britannia was finally over. However the island was devastated, ruined and depopulated. Almost 30 were spent in order to rebuild my lands and gain stable income. I also used spies to observe situation in known world and gain trade agreements. As a result Numidia declared war on me Rome is busy with every neighbor including Carthage, but Carthage is also pretty strong. The outcome of their war is yet to be seen. However, Sicily is already in Roman hands. My next goal is to upgrade my cities to third level and start full scale invasion of Gallia.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    The thing is that penalty is now zero. That is why we changed the name not to confuse the players since the unit would not suffer morale penalty from being flanked.
    Are you replying to my feedback on the previous page? If so, just load up a siege assault yourself and see what happens when your attacking units are engaged once they make it onto the walls. They are almost always rendered useless by the flanking/formation breached penalty because the penalty is as severe as you can get in this game before the unit actually breaks apart and routs. It happened with both my Triarii and low morale units in exactly the same way: confident straight to wavering.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    On Very hard they have a lot of bonuses. You may have crippled their food production. If you want to upload a save game I can look into what caused it.
    I have more negative feedback on this front as well. There seems to be little change from 1.1 in both the small and large AI factions building a load of military buildings or food draining commercial buildings and ending up with ridiculous negative provincial food quantities of like -29 and so on. Factions like this essentially enter a loop of building an army, stationing it somewhere, and then watching it slowly die along with the garrisons.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; April 23, 2022 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Double post.

It has been a problem since Rome 2's release that the AI doesn't handle its food properly. One of my most popular original small mods was a bonus to AI food for this reason.

I will look into increasing the bonus - I had reduced it a bit in hopes that this wouldn't happen but obviously that was a pipe dream.