Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Senator

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    Wish something could be done about garrisons being so weak. The Greek mob unit is just horrid for the player and the AI. Even with a fortified city the garrison is pretty bad. I know this is about balancing issues, but why can't a fortified city contain a few good units from the actual faction rosters. Like Pergamon hoplites?
    The mob units are indeed a liability, as their route will affect other regular units around them, but eventually once you build enough buildings in your city/town they will be forced out of the garrion by better units.

Quote Originally Posted by zonks40 View Post
    The mob units are indeed a liability, as their route will affect other regular units around them, but eventually once you build enough buildings in your city/town they will be forced out of the garrion by better units
    All of this is true. However I will say that I find a single mob unit to be very useful. The AI can’t help but attack it if left unprotected. So you can use them to lure enemy cavalry over caltrops, infantry over a field of pit traps, or even just to distract and even chase enemy skirmishers. They may not win the melee, but if they chase archers to the end of the map, you may have won the battle otherwise before they engage.

Yes, sometimes I sacrifice them to just keep enemies out of melee range, so I can keep attacking them with ranged units.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

hey dardo (or anyone), can you describe me how those RotR battles take in place in rome?
    speaking of post #6836

How do I find out exactly which units I can recruit from subjugated states?

Does it depend on the barracks in the specific region, is it only a subset of the faction roster or some mixture of both?

Say, I play as Carthage. I can recruit the light Numidian cavalry on my own, but I want to have access to the medium and heavy Numidian skirmisher cavalry of the Masaesyli. Can I do that when they upgrade their barracks to the corresponding tier? Or, another example, if I subjugate Parthia/Armenia as Kolkhis, do I get to recruit some of their cataphracts at some point?
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana...

Quote Originally Posted by Iskandar View Post
    How do I find out exactly which units I can recruit from subjugated states?

Does it depend on the barracks in the specific region, is it only a subset of the faction roster or some mixture of both?

Say, I play as Carthage. I can recruit the light Numidian cavalry on my own, but I want to have access to the medium and heavy Numidian skirmisher cavalry of the Masaesyli. Can I do that when they upgrade their barracks to the corresponding tier? Or, another example, if I subjugate Parthia/Armenia as Kolkhis, do I get to recruit some of their cataphracts at some point?
    They're just randomly selected from their entire roster, Dresden has attempted making reform units locked by the proper reform, but unfortunately this didn't really work out, you just have to get lucky. It helps getting a client/satrap with different provinces, since the levy units will differ from province to province.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    They're just randomly selected from their entire roster, Dresden has attempted making reform units locked by the proper reform, but unfortunately this didn't really work out, you just have to get lucky. It helps getting a client/satrap with different provinces, since the levy units will differ from province to province.
    Is it a fixed subset from the beginning, or does it get redrawn after say an upgrade to the barracks, or some other event?

It just gets refreshed after each turn.

Got it. Thanks for the info.

I’m pretty certain it’s not from their whole roster, but rather the (all reform unlocked) units available based on their main settlement and barracks. So yes, they would need to build and upgrade their barracks for you to levy some troops.

Semisalis

two questions:
    1)would it be possible to go back to the pre-ancestral update system for factions which were oligarchies, republics or democracies, and for which a family tree is totally out of place, while mantaining it for factions which were dinasties?
    2)would it be possible to use the rise of the republic government actions to simulate elections in republics, oligarchies or democracies while mantaining the governement change for other kind factions?

Patrician

1) don't really think that. You basically want that an hardcoded feature works here but not there. Mmhh, don't think it is doable.
    2) probably yes but I think you'll need a workaround. ROtR gov actions are simple dice rolled incidents called by clicking a button (if I remember correctly), meaning that button triggers a custom callback. I'm not sure you can insert that particular button inside other campaigns but it should be possible to link those incidents (once you build them through db) to a script that is using another button. I plan to check this feature for PIGS. Have still to see how though.

Semisalis

N.2 would be perfect to simulate elections. it would give you a reason to build your characters gravitas in order to get the title and associated bonus. in rotr you can even change the faction leader through these actions (appoint dictator).

Patrician

Ah, do they have conditions too? Never checked them in-game. Gravitas can't be set as a condition, you can't track down it via script (nor any other way).
    So, if it is not possible to import the ROtR system, you can't use gravitas.
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 29, 2020 at 07:32 AM.

But Jake, doesn’t gravitas impact the success chance of diplomatic missions? Or is that a myth?

On deployable defences. Feels a bit imbalanced. AI can't use it, but as player, you can abuse it pretty hard against already not very bright AI. Had situations beating 2 strong armies with one literally made up from garrison troops. Of course I can choose not to use it, but it's always so tempting, haha.

Some settlements (peninsula f.e. or some with narrow chokepoints) can become quite hilarious. Also fortified battles are just unfair like that. Not only your army get big bonuses to stats, but also you can use barricades to force AI into one chokepoint, rotate troops and your towers + ranged will decimate high portion of their army. Not to mention that they'll lose pretty much all cavalry to spikes and stakes.

There's another funny moment that AI simply deploy those in straight line on their side of the map, so you can move your army near spikes, f.e. and bait their army into their own trap with ranged fire. Also they seem to waste ton of ammo on fire pits and sometimes even manage to walk over these, burning themsleves to the death.

I wonder if these's a way to disable them without messing up DEI in any bad way. Also, what is general consensus on those defences by DEI mod team?

Patrician

@ptolemaios
    So it seems since some guys reported it as they noticed that from trials.
    But what CA can make and what a modder can make are two completely different things. What I meant is that a modder has no way for tracking down the gravitas (except if you wanna build an event but events are pretty rigid as per construction possibilities), as you cannot retrieve an attribute value and many other things CA is actually using

@Senticon
    db > effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions_tables > _Stances_Edicts_effect_bundles_to_effects_junctions. The various effect keys starting wth "rom_force_enable_..."
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; February 29, 2020 at 03:23 PM.

How do I unlock Tier 3 Army Traditions?

I have an army at level 8; according to the spreadsheet, I should have been able to access at lest level 1 of the tier 3 traditions after army level 4, but that's not the case. I only have tiers 1 and 2 and the special veteran hoplites one that you get after army level 6.

EDIT:
    Nevermind, I was looking for the wrong tradition; I didn't realize that tier 2 tradition unlocked only one of the tier 3 and not all three options of the particular "colour". Don't I feel like a fool now...
    Last edited by Iskandar; March 12, 2020 at 02:50 AM.

Tvrtko's Avatar Libertus

I don't like the new map mod taken from Attila. It's not meant for Rome II because you need a microscope to see provincial borders, unlike vanilla where they are clearly defined so I would suggest either modifying that aspect of the mod or removing it.
    I would like to know how can I restore the original zoom in-zoom out values. This feature was added to this mod but it didn't remove campaign fog so zoom out feature is close to useless because the map becomes covered in white fog when you zoom out above vanilla values.

@Tvrtko
    If you hover your mouse over the map, it will display the region name.

Does anyone know the exact effects of a baggage train?