Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

A few questions about diplomacy. First of all, if I give the AI just money as a gift will this improve our relationship or is giving money there just to improve other possible deals? Also in my first game with the mod I had a trade treaty with Carthage and also gave them a bit of money a few times. However after a while Carthage was destroyed and all of its former enemies Rome, Syracusa and some barbarians from Spain declared war on me (Rhodes) even though there hadn`t been much contact between us before that. So am I right in assuming that the AI doesn`t really like factions who make trade treaties with their enemies either? Also does the diplomatic AI take into consideration how weak or strong faction it is? As later on me and Athens were both in trouble with strong Rome that had almost destroyed Athens already, but still even when I tried to make peace with Athens so that we both might focus on fighting the romans it seemed to be impossible.

AI doesn't understand much diplomacy. The power balance comparison bar often shows a civilization I'm about to wipe out relatively easily, as more powerful than me. CA didn't bother to write decent code for "war strength" in a game that is all about "war strength". I constantly have a small army from another nation I'm not at war with parked on my land for hundreds of turns every game. Once as Parthia I had 6 regions and 4 Bactrian stacks, my ally, surrounding one small city, they consumed all my food so my armies couldn't reinforce and population didn't grow. Was basically stuck. We're informed when we have a trespasser, yet there is no diplomatic option to request them to leave, or else.

OFF TOPIC: Anybody know how to change a character's name? Trying to use ESF or PFM.

EDIT:

Found Save Parser, works as well as I think it could given how confusing CA data is.

EDIT 2:

How does CA justify the Arabia Felix as the 3rd most earning province 2,100 years before the world wanted their oil? How does Brittania out earn Aigyptos, where in this time Brittania was mostly near mythical (isolation means little trade and flow of ideas) in scope to the Mediterranean, yet were in fact extremely resource lacking while Egypt was one of the richest civilizations in the world (bankrolling Roman armies with gold and grain)?

If I marry my daughter to another family, they have a kid, why is that kid apart of my faction?

Why does my leader's wife not have an intellectual trait (has 3 traits) when all the rest do? Why do the female intellectual traits not have effects?

Why do agents have a quadrant III (knight's helm)? They can't marry so there is no quadrant II/spouse box, I've never seen anything to put there yet it exists why?

Why does my household not change in characters over time? I've lost a lot over the course of campaigns, and it always stays filled with roughly the same amount of specific household members? Play around with Parser, I now realize just how much my households retains the same quotas for different members when there is so much more I could/want to get.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; November 10, 2019 at 07:38 PM.

Are the blacksmith etc worth it here? The melee attack tends to be between 1-9 . Are they really 1-9 or its in 10 -90 ?

I think it rounds up, so it ends up being worth it with the low attack values.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Why is it considered treachery to attack someone you have a peace treaty with but not considered treachery for the AI then to leave a stack on my land and bring in another? Moving your army into another sovereign nation without permission is a declaration of war.

Does unit and BAI behaviour change depending on unit size? If so, is Large more stable and less buggy than Ultra? Asking for a friend...

Moreover what's the intent behind the Disciplined Formation ability for Roman units? It stops them from using their pila and makes them cover much less ground so I'm guessing it's made specifically to hold chokepoints and shouldn't be used in open field battles like Phalanx skills? Also asking for a friend.

What's the reasoning behind 5/8 forum buildings given bonuses to agriculture production percentage when there's no building that provides a base agricultural income in province capitals? Also, I can't think of a reason to build coastal patrols over naval yards as they cost far more, produce weaker hulls, fewer ship selection, and only provide a couple more garrison ships. Well, they do increase naval commerce percentage, but that's basically useless outside a couple regions in the game, and I'd build trade ports there instead.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Why is it considered treachery to attack someone you have a peace treaty with but not considered treachery for the AI then to leave a stack on my land and bring in another? Moving your army into another sovereign nation without permission is a declaration of war.
    Not in the game, though. There are, however, trespassing penalties for doing so if you have no military access.

Quote Originally Posted by averages View Post
    Does unit and BAI behaviour change depending on unit size? If so, is Large more stable and less buggy than Ultra? Asking for a friend...
    It's basically recommended that you use the ultra unit size as the game is balanced for that unit size. When it comes to the AI behaviour, though, I don't think that matters much.

What's the reasoning behind 5/8 forum buildings given bonuses to agriculture production percentage when there's no building that provides a base agricultural income in province capitals?
    Those bonuses are province-wide so it makes sense to do that in a province where you gain income from agriculture through other buildings.

How does CA justify the Arabia Felix as the 3rd most earning province 2,100 years before the world wanted their oil? How does Brittania out earn Aigyptos, where in this time Brittania was mostly near mythical (isolation means little trade and flow of ideas) in scope to the Mediterranean, yet were in fact extremely resource lacking while Egypt was one of the richest civilizations in the world (bankrolling Roman armies with gold and grain)?
    Arabia Felix is not the 3rd most lucrative province, and Britannia does not outperform Aegyptos. You need to pay attention to the regional modifiers as well as the resources themselves. Also Arabia is only 3 regions, so you’re just way off on that one. Some provinces (such as those two specifically) produce valuable resources but are more useful for trade and economic specialization. That doesn’t mean that you can’t make money there - just that it’s less effective than elsewhere. As an aside, Britain was quite important economically for the Romans specifically because of the timber, gold, lead, and slaves it produced for trade, not for the tax income it generated. So kudos to the DeI team for nailing that one!

You also asked about provincial capital agricultural modifiers. The province capital has buildings that generally increase the output of the rest of the regions. Now, agriculture modifiers in particular are in my opinion very poorly implemented, as the bulk of income comes from livestock, but the bulk of modifiers only apply to farming (which in turn, yield almost no base income). The result is that historically, agriculture should be the bedrock of a rich province, it’s effectively useless in game. But the same principle applies to commerce or industrial income. Build the multiplier buildings in the provincial capital, and the base income buildings (mines, trade resources, ports, or grain silos) in the smaller cities.

@ NorthernXY

2,100 years before the world wanted Arabian oil there was a major trade routes called the Spice Road/Incense trade route, from at least 6,000 BC! Arabia Felix being the main source of Frankincense which in those times was as valuable as gold...

Also Britannia was the most important source of tin since the bronze age, although seen as remote by the Romans and Greeks it was well connected to mainland Gaul. Trading by boat was faster than overland so it wasn't really cut off.

I suggest reading up on more ancient history!
    Last edited by Don_Diego; November 14, 2019 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks for the clarification. Why not list "local province" when the effect could be either? Shipwrights are the same, no way to know if it's regional or provincial because it just says +#%. Mars' temple gives +% for defense and says "local province", when it sounds like building modifiers are always provincial. Guessing the same goes for building modifiers in regions in that they affect the province.

In my game current game that is the state of the world, though I am using the Testudo sub-mod. Come on, I'm smart enough to know all that, but Caesar didn't plan to conquer Britain after winning the civil war, it was Parthia then through the Caucuses around the Black Sea to Dacia and its gold mines. Caesar had been to Britain, if it was rich he'd of made it a priority over the Caucuses, Scythia, and Sarmatia. After Italia the most valuable province was Egypt. Arabia had trade routes yes, but what the result? Nothing like Carthage which also had many trade routes.

Right. And in game, Parthia is richer than Britannia and Africa is richer than Arabia Felix. So what’s the issue? What DeI also does that’s really really cool and I think a bit under appreciated is to distinguish because resource extraction provinces (like those two) vs commercial development provinces (like the others). Britannia produces resources that are valuable. And if you really want, you can turn it into an income province. But what it’s really good for is just producing trade recourses for income elsewhere. While Aegyptos, Latium, Asia, etc are your real economic heavy-hitters. Just like they were historically!

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Right. And in game, Parthia is richer than Britannia and Africa is richer than Arabia Felix. So what’s the issue? What DeI also does that’s really really cool and I think a bit under appreciated is to distinguish because resource extraction provinces (like those two) vs commercial development provinces (like the others). Britannia produces resources that are valuable. And if you really want, you can turn it into an income province. But what it’s really good for is just producing trade recourses for income elsewhere. While Aegyptos, Latium, Asia, etc are your real economic heavy-hitters. Just like they were historically!
    correct me if im wrong, trade resource buildings like "60 fish" only bring extra income IF you have trade partners ya?

this become useless espeically in late game / vh where you generally dont have any trade partners.

i remember in rome 1, u would be able to trade with yourself as your empire gets larger like your italic provinces would be trading with your asia minor provinces etc. which makes alot of sense.
    not sure if thats the case in rome 2, if not it would really devalue the resource ares unless u are playing on normal or something

Quote Originally Posted by meerkatology View Post
    correct me if im wrong, trade resource buildings like "60 fish" only bring extra income IF you have trade partners ya?

this become useless espeically in late game / vh where you generally dont have any trade partners.

i remember in rome 1, u would be able to trade with yourself as your empire gets larger like your italic provinces would be trading with your asia minor provinces etc. which makes alot of sense.
    not sure if thats the case in rome 2, if not it would really devalue the resource ares unless u are playing on normal or something
    I'm also confused with this. What's the advantage of the building line that produce more of the resource, over the ones that produce less of it but make more direct income from commerce?

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

In R2 you can only trade with other factions that you have the trade agreement with.

Basically, from what I checked once it makes sense to invest in resource production building chain only if you have a significant number of trade partners. Otherwise, the income building chain is more profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    ...it makes sense to invest in resource production building chain only if you have a significant number of trade partners. Otherwise, the income building chain is more profitable.
    In my experience as Kartli, game MAKES you change buildings as you progress through the game. In my experience, I can progress through the game with one set of buildings for first 1/2 of a game. But then I'm forced to change buildings to combat increasing unhappiness from buildings and banditry.

Anybody know how to change population in a region of a saved game?

Hi why is so many ppl said that Cretan Archers are the best archer? In my game they are 54 damage 150 range 9 shot per min, is this stat correct?
    Is there anyway i could see the stat of units in this mod, this website https://www.honga.net/totalwar/rome2/?l=en&v=dei they said their Version is 2.4.0, but right now DeI version is only 1.2.5 (???), and they have different value for dmg, atk, def...
    How much positive relations do you need to military alliance? I have a Carthage campaign where the military victory need control of Syria which is under Rhodos control, i have defensive alliance with them for a long time and gifted them 50k every turn they have over 1k relation but they will not accept military alliance. Of course i can kill them but i really dont want to.
    And how do garrison replenishment works? Do they use province population? What control the amount replenish per turn?

Demosthenes26's Avatar Libertus

Cretan archers have less range than most archers but deal more AP damage than other archers, as was their historical advantage (along with being better in a melee than most archers)

How many TPY is the base mod?