Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Macedonian late generals are amazing. With 200 troops per unit, your advantage with javelins really shines in a way that it doesn’t with shock cav. Only so many troops can charge and connect with the enemy at once, but the entire unit can volley together. The ammo is misleading because of the unit size. You have more javelins than any cavalry other than Lusitani light skirmishers. While they lack the shock potential of the early generals, they can hold up in melee or under fire better with their shields. They’re stronger in combat than any light or skirmishers cavalary the enemy can offer. So as long as you keep them away from the enemy’s elite cav and infantry, they shouldn’t take any losses. And that last note is really the point. Macedonia (and Epirus) reformed their general bodyguards because they were losing too many elite troops and nobles (/personal friends of the king) in “heroic” charges.

Centenarius

Some v1.2.5 feedback after a few test campaigns:

* I have always used the official nomajorbonuses submod so that Rome wasn't so dominate and to slow down the campaign. In the past it would slow down Rome's advance and sometimes, rarely, even put them on the ropes. With v1.2.5 Rome is very dominate even with the nomajorbonuses submod. They quickly destroy Carthage and everyone else around them. I have been using the same nomajorbonuses submod from v1.2.4 as I don't believe it has been changed at all.

* Carthage still suffers from dying out too quickly. It isn't defending itself on multiple fronts. Perhaps make a version of the nomajorbonuses submod that doesn't affect Carthage so that they could have a better chance of surviving the multiple AI onslaughts?

* My children have a very high death rate so far.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Macedonian late generals are amazing. With 200 troops per unit, your advantage with javelins really shines in a way that it doesn’t with shock cav. Only so many troops can charge and connect with the enemy at once, but the entire unit can volley together. The ammo is misleading because of the unit size. You have more javelins than any cavalry other than Lusitani light skirmishers. While they lack the shock potential of the early generals, they can hold up in melee or under fire better with their shields. They’re stronger in combat than any light or skirmishers cavalary the enemy can offer. So as long as you keep them away from the enemy’s elite cav and infantry, they shouldn’t take any losses. And that last note is really the point. Macedonia (and Epirus) reformed their general bodyguards because they were losing too many elite troops and nobles (/personal friends of the king) in “heroic” charges.
    Okay, maybe it's just my play style, but elite troops having poor morale is huge question mark. If I'm king, I don't want my bodyguards to turn tail and run the second they get a bloody nose.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post

* I have always used the official nomajorbonuses submod so that Rome wasn't so dominate and to slow down the campaign. In the past it would slow down Rome's advance and sometimes, rarely, even put them on the ropes. With v1.2.5 Rome is very dominate even with the nomajorbonuses submod. They quickly destroy Carthage and everyone else around them. I have been using the same nomajorbonuses submod from v1.2.4 as I don't believe it has been changed at all.

* Carthage still suffers from dying out too quickly. It isn't defending itself on multiple fronts. Perhaps make a version of the nomajorbonuses submod that doesn't affect Carthage so that they could have a better chance of surviving the multiple AI onslaughts?

None of that was changed in 1.2.5, so it could just be the randomness factor unfortunately.

Edit - Okay, found one problem. The no major faction bonuses submod is way out of date and is not working.
    Last edited by Dresden; August 12, 2019 at 01:37 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post

In my last/only campaign in 1.24 as Rome I had barely any child live more than a couple years. Even made a post about it. So far in 1.25 as Makedon most of my children have lived.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I have high children mortality whatever number you try to put as a variable (positive, 0, negative...)
    Besideds that variable all the rest is totally hardcoded.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    What is the modifier "Political Favour: Time to secure a political advantage"? No idea how to use it.

Are Makedonian late generals suppose to be worse than the early? Their stats are equal or less, don't have "disciplined" ability like early do, can't form a wedge, has ammunition but no skirmisher mode, and oddly have "poor morale" vs. early's "good morale". The last one I find really weird because you'd think soldiers with poor morale would never be selected to be in a king's/general's elite bodyguards. In addition to costing about 25% in upkeep.
    Macedonian cav heavily declined by that time, which we wanted to reflect. They fully changed their ways of combat and were even performing poorly against Roman cavalry.

I’d like to suggest a change to barbarian shield wall. The formation functions fine enough in battle. Am I correct that it’s based on the phalanx formation with different effects on stats? Visually, it looks ridiculous with in some cases the 3rd through 5th ranks with their sica or sword slanted vertically like a pike. The front rows slowly stabbing with their curved swords. Even in units with spears, the formation just looks terribly out of place.

Given that we have a working shield wall in Rome’s disciplined formation, why not use that as the base for barbarians? The stat buffs/debuffs could be different from Rome of course to reflect the latter’s greater discipline, etc. I think it would better match how the units actually fought and would vastly improve visual immersion. It would also help address what currently feels like every unit is modeled after Greek warfare.

Some folks might complain about decreased frontage, but honestly they can learn to manage ranks before the battle to form and maintain their line. Or deal with it since barbarians in shield wall would indeed have had significantly reduced frontage compared to the more loosely spaced default formation.
    Issue with disciplined formation is that AI never uses it and it does not allow to switch weapons depending on how far/close enemy is.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    I have high children mortality whatever number you try to put as a variable (positive, 0, negative...)
    Besideds that variable all the rest is totally hardcoded.
    I am starting to wonder if that variable even works.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Macedonian cav heavily declined by that time, which we wanted to reflect. They fully changed their ways of combat and were even performing poorly against Roman cavalry.
    Thanks, I was guessing it was something like that. I guess we have to accept things like that in historical games rather go into the countless speculations. If my Makedon is conquering the Romans, then their cavalry probably wouldn't be declining. However that means there would have to be at least double the amounts of units created, half for historical unit versions then the other half for ahistorical unit versions. Not to mention understanding every civilization well enough to know what type of units they'd have if they underwent reforms that made them the premier power in the land instead of Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernXY View Post
    Thanks, I was guessing it was something like that. I guess we have to accept things like that in historical games rather go into the countless speculations. If my Makedon is conquering the Romans, then their cavalry probably wouldn't be declining. However that means there would have to be at least double the amounts of units created, half for historical unit versions then the other half for ahistorical unit versions. Not to mention understanding every civilization well enough to know what type of units they'd have if they underwent reforms that made them the premier power in the land instead of Rome.
    I do want to caveat/check one point you mentioned. The late general morale goes from 65 to 60. You are correct that it drops, but 60 is still quite good morale. If you’re having something different, then you may have a bug.

I do want to caveat/check one point you mentioned. The late general morale goes from 65 to 60. You are correct that it drops, but 60 is still quite good morale. If you’re having something different, then you may have a bug.
    I have those values. Under "Strengths and Weaknesses" on unit screens, it states Early have "good morale" and Late have "poor morale".

What constitutes whether something is heavy or light infantry?

Considering they use tier I pops, Royal Peltasts aren't noticeably superior than a lot of troops that use tier IV.
    Last edited by NorthernXY; August 12, 2019 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Royal Peltasts aren't heavy infantry.

The strength/weaknesses texts are not very good indicators. Some are not accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    The strength/weaknesses texts are not very good indicators. Some are not accurate.
    Okay, still a noob so I don't know what everything is an whether it's valid.

Totally understood, just thought I would let you know! Enjoy

I've started new Kartli campaign in 1.2.5. Playing DeI with 12TpY official DeI submod.
    The faction now has a trait "Bad leader (99)". It has penalties. Number 99 never decreases. What is it and how can I make it go away? I'm on turn 3

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

It is nothing, it is the numbers of turns this effect will keep going (according to code) but the code has some automatical removals triggering on certain conditions.
    It may go from 1 to really high numbers depending on the code

I wanted to ask, why do Syrian Mercenary Elephants have average stamina and 50 morale, while Indian Armored Elephants have poor stamina and 45 morale in comparison? Is this how it is supposed to be? I thought the standard unit would superior to the mercenary variant.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Syrian elephants were superior to other elephants. Basically they were created from selective breeding of Indian elephants. They were on average larger.
    Last edited by KAM 2150; August 14, 2019 at 01:21 AM.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Syrian elephants were superior to other elephants. Basically they were created from selected breeding of Indian elephants. They were on average larger.
    Oh mother of god, that is horrifying.

L.ANNIVS's Avatar Foederatus
    Over there, by the river and the hills...

Icon11 Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Syrian elephants were superior to other elephants. Basically they were created from selected breeding of Indian elephants. They were on average larger.

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    Oh mother of god, that is horrifying.

Nope Man... Never been to the circus?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: