Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    CAI does not form any alliances except with liberated states. Qart too busy fighting tribals to protect Sicily/Sardinia. Keep getting paid for trade agreements. Basically a lot of CAI aspects need working that did during 123 and prior patches.
    Αre you using any submods like my colleague Scipio suggested ? if not maybe you're having old folder remnants or just a bugged save. Ιt happens.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Seleukos.I.Nikator~ View Post
    Implementing this feature would require redoing the whole startpos file, so as far as I know, that's not an option at this moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by servent9 View Post
    i hope Dei team can do this someday. [or soon]

so for now, should i think Antiochos II as an relative? like a nephew of Antiochos I weep..
    Ι don't think we'll be able to touch startpos soon. AFAIK, it will be sometime till Dresden re open it.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 16, 2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Content.

Barbarian Livestock buildings give income as "Agriculture (Livestock)", but give a bonus to the Export Food edict as "Agriculture", which does not boost their income, and makes Export Food not worth it when building a Barbarian Livestock economy.

It seems this may just have been a labeling mistake, should be an easy fix .

Additionally, the Supply Depot and market for the Barbarian factions only boosts Agriculture income, meaning that Livestock buildings are not affected by this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bento View Post
    A question/critique - since the recent beta now implemented, the stats have been changed a lot. Now, although they work well, I've noticed that due to the Attack/Damage figures being relatively low ( single digits in many cases ), the percentage improvement delivered by the Blacksmith ( Lvl 1 wpns ) has almost zero effect.

On the other hand, the Shieldmaker ( Lvl 1 armour ) has a good visible effect on the numbers. Eg.
    General : armour 74 changes to 77
    Massilian Hoplites : 53 to 55
    Iphikratous Peltasts : 28 to 29.
    Ligoures Epikouroi : 22 to 22
    Only the last unit has an armour value low enough not to register the upgrade.

With weapons, out of the above units, only the General with a Melee Attack of 8 got any benefit, moving to 9. All other stats on all other units were unchanged.

So, my question - would it be possible to change the effect of the different Weapons upgrades to be a scripted +1 per building level, so that all units get the small benefit ? With the new stats, +1 is a good upgrade
    Obviously, I don't know if it's even possible to alter the way it works, but as it stands, only nations whose troops have Melee attack generally above 8 appear to get much benefit from the Blacksmith line.
    I think its all percentage based, the problem is that when we have effects that are too high then they stack up and break the system. I will check into this specific one.
    Quote Originally Posted by corsair831 View Post
    Barbarian Livestock buildings give income as "Agriculture (Livestock)", but give a bonus to the Export Food edict as "Agriculture", which does not boost their income, and makes Export Food not worth it when building a Barbarian Livestock economy.

It seems this may just have been a labeling mistake, should be an easy fix .

Additionally, the Supply Depot and market for the Barbarian factions only boosts Agriculture income, meaning that Livestock buildings are not affected by this.
    Export food is setup to be just agriculture, it can be changed to be more inclusive. I will check out the other buildings.

edit - The other buildings actually do improve livestock also. Maybe their vanilla effect text should be changed to be more accurate.
    Last edited by Dresden; January 16, 2019 at 03:58 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I think its all percentage based, the problem is that when we have effects that are too high then they stack up and break the system. I will check into this specific one.

Export food is setup to be just agriculture, it can be changed to be more inclusive. I will check out the other buildings.

edit - The other buildings actually do improve livestock also. Maybe their vanilla effect text should be changed to be more accurate.
    Cool yeah, you're never going to bother with export food using it to make money from farms; the amount of money farms provide is just so so low compared to the money you can make from industry. If it includes livestock though, then there is a bit of a £££! Ah i see, that's great, i shall give them a try , thanks for the help!

Yeah, if there's no distinction in the tooltip between agriculture from farming or livestock, then it applies to both as in just 'agriculture'. Personally I modified the export effects a long ago to just be doubled, I don't know if it then outcompetes other types of income, but I like to believe it's more viable.

I have a question more like a bug report I don't know if it's the game or the mod. Some of the achievements are not popping like max character level. Capturing of Carthage etc. Are these achievements bugged in main game or due to mod.thx to the one who is answering

Hey,
    A "small" change that I think will make the game more challenging (or less cheesy) would be to change to "liberate faction" option so that it COSTS you money to liberate a faction
    As it is right now, it is really unbalanced on top of illogical being able to liberate a faction, spawn an army AND get some money out of it.

Gameplaywise, that feature which has almost no downside could not be spammed anymore
    Roleplaywise, it would justify the magical spawning army. Money would represent the cost of supplying a new allied local lord with troops and supporting that new faction

ps: is money the only variable that you can set for conquering options?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Think I've tried this a lot of months ago but, if I'm correct, it didn't accept a negative value as a variable.
    I'll check again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Think I've tried this a lot of months ago but, if I'm correct, it didn't accept a negative value as a variable.
    I'll check again.
    I think it's unmoddable. Dresden will know more about it though.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

might be this one (even if it's talking about looting too) inside campaign variables?
    occupation_decision_liberate_base_loot_income / values: 500 (vanilla) - 0 (dei)
    or you can liberate and loot in the same time?
    I'm not sure about.
    If not is as per GS said.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjayraj85 View Post
    I have a question more like a bug report I don't know if it's the game or the mod. Some of the achievements are not popping like max character level. Capturing of Carthage etc. Are these achievements bugged in main game or due to mod.thx to the one who is answering
    I think achievements should work normally with mods, at least as far as I know they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    might be this one (even if it's talking about looting too) inside campaign variables?
    occupation_decision_liberate_base_loot_income / values: 500 (vanilla) - 0 (dei)
    or you can liberate and loot in the same time?
    I'm not sure about.
    If not is as per GS said.
    I believe that variable doesn't even work at all - or at least one of them doesn't (I don't remember which one). We have it setup to pay the player for some occupation options and I don't think the income ever actually gets applied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    I think achievements should work normally with mods, at least as far as I know they do.
    All mods work fine with achievements 100%

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Would it be possible to implement a more realistic portrayal of native populations in the PoR system?
    IIRC if a faction reconquered a previously conquered region, a certain percentage of the population classes would remain.
    The logical conclusion that the script at some level saves the population numbers along with their respective classes.

I“m assuming that this hasn“t been done due to several reasons:
    1. UI clutter, since the population numbers of your own culture are enough to get confusing
    2. Modifiers of population classes only influencing 4 population classes.
    3. ???
    4. Profit

IMO it would be more realistic if we could recruit AOR units according to their native class, and independent of the province“s main building levels.
    Maybe you could have a seperate UI element for the native population, with the current number of recruitable manpower of the respective classes being derived from a formula like:
    Initial population after conquest * percentage of native religion influence * Public Order as percentage [so the current public order on a scale from -100 to 100 divided by 2]
    ;or something similar.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

The "native" population is effectively covered by the "foreign" pop class (class 4) in the system. I am not sure there is any way to do something different without a fundamental overhaul of the entire pop script.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Then how does the script save the native population in case of reconquest of the region?
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Some comments from Athens:

1.) Attic Mercenary Peltasts show a speed of '4' when mousing over their unit card, but show a speed of '3' when right-clicking their card to view their unit page. (This is at the start of a new game, so there are no speed bonuses from buildings to offset this.) Also, Normal Peltasts show a speed of '3' in-game, but show a speed of '4' in a custom game.

Curiously, when I brought these and other skirmishing units into a custom battle, all with a speed of '4', and issued a run order...they all ran at slightly different speeds! Could the explanation be that unit speeds have fractions (3.5, 3.75) that the UI rounds to the closest whole number?

2.) Mercenary Lancers have a higher moral (60) than Athenian Citizen Cavalry (55). Shouldn't these be switched?
    Last edited by Basilius; January 18, 2019 at 11:10 PM.

Foederatus

Hey guys, long time lurker with nothing but love for the entire team who's been part of and helped to create Divide et Impera. Honestly, it's been so refreshing after having spent several (hundred, lol) hours in another first for me, Fantasy-based Total War.

I always wanted to give DeI a shot, but honestly (even as a TW Vet) it felt intimidating with all its respective mechanics. Well I've dived into an Egyptian campaign (after around 30+ turns as the Romans to get an understanding of the aforementioned mechanics. That being said I had a few questions that I though I would pose to the community.

1 - When you see a food surplus in a province; and the value says: +1, or +2, (even +4 in the more fertile regions) does that only add the bonus to a farm type building, or does it simply provide additional food to your global food levels?
    - Does that food bonus apply to all the farm-type buildings? Specifically, in Myos Hermos (+2) that would then add two food to any farm-type building?
    - For Alexandria (+4) is that applied to the Traveller's lodge chain of buildings; being that you can't build a farm or fishing dock there?

A) Furthermore, with that food surplus, does that generally mean creating grains pits (for the supply lines, and the tertiary benefits) become more feasible in more fertile regions, is that a correct assumption?

B ) How important is it that I maintain a local food surplus in each region? I know in Atilla, it would create a -25% penalty to wealth in the province, but I recall Rome 2 simply had a global food supply requirement, is that still in effect with DeI

2 - Exporting Food edict: Is this a requirement for a higher fertility regions (Africa, Roma, Aigyptos) or is the edict simply to provide an increase in your agriculture wealth?

3 - Importing Food edict: Is this a requirement for a province with negative food supply, or when would I look to use/employ the edict?

4 - Grain/Fish they are considered a resource, right?
    - Is the resource simply another means in order to increase trade and trade agreements, or to bring about more immersion?
    - As they aren't considered food supply is that due to a specific decision by the team, or is this a limitation with regards to the base game?

- Also I seem unable to determine how much money I make on an individual resource in game, is this a limitation of Rome 2 and what it displays?

Finally, as a sort of cheeky question, is there any faction with a unit comparable to the Lothern Sea Guard? A hybrid unit of Archers/Slingers that are capable in hand-to-hand combat? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Diplomat View Post
    ................... Lothern Sea Guard.....................
    Hehe - and I had to look it up!

I certainly hope to God there shouldn't be - in a Mod that tends towards realism.

It most certainly has been a problem that I have seen in RTW & R2 and several Mods - that players who are concerned more with just winning (although there's nothing intrinsically wrong with that - I just don't believe they should be trying with Mods that lean to realism); do like to 'stack the odds'. Thus they will have many more Slingers and Archers than ever really existed (hell, I like 2 in each stack and there probably should only really be one!).

Slinging and Archery are major full time skills, often developed best from birth (nearly). There is a reason mercenary units such as Balaeric and Rhodian Slingers and Cretan Archers were famed and so desired. A useful occuptation after learning to look after sheep and hunt goats/rabbits - when you're grown up and want to seek adventure.

Honestly - if you want the 'best' in the game - then I'd go for mini-battle groups of 2 cohorts of legionaires with an archer unit behind. Pretty much how Late Roman infantry units became - except they were way past their prime by then...
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Hehe - and I had to look it up!

I certainly hope to God there shouldn't be - in a Mod that tends towards realism.

It most certainly has been a problem that I have seen in RTW & R2 and several Mods - that players who are concerned more with just winning (although there's nothing intrinsically wrong with that - I just don't believe they should be trying with Mods that lean to realism); do like to 'stack the odds'. Thus they will have many more Slingers and Archers than ever really existed (hell, I like 2 in each stack and there probably should only really be one!).

Slinging and Archery are major full time skills, often developed best from birth (nearly). There is a reason mercenary units such as Balaeric and Rhodian Slingers and Cretan Archers were famed and so desired. A useful occuptation after learning to look after sheep and hunt goats/rabbits - when you're grown up and want to seek adventure.

Honestly - if you want the 'best' in the game - then I'd go for mini-battle groups of 2 cohorts of legionaires with an archer unit behind. Pretty much how Late Roman infantry units became - except they were way past their prime by then...
    I was just curious is there was a hybrid unit due to the massive rosters in this game ( I haven't checked out individual factions in custom battles)

But yeah, early game, I tend to bring a half stack of missiles or cav depending on the need.

Example: In my Egypt campaign after my Client State broke away their army (and the Nasamones) were 5 Infantry, 14 Slingers, and a General... I mean I'll win, but it's messy unless you bring that half stack of cav in order to quickly chase them off the field.

Question / glitch?
    Year: 267 BC
    Playing as Rome liberated the Ligurian Confederation, while I had a very friendly relationship with them (supposedly they are very reliable) of 110, they declared war on me. Something very bad since all my armies were engaged in Sicily with the powerful Carthago.
    Thats possible or was very very bad luck?
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 21, 2019 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Fixed format.