Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Not understood?

My thanks to both KAM and Jake Armitage for your help! +Rep.

Hello,
    in summer I get attrition for all of my armies, even the garrison ones - although I have enough of food and supply stored in the cities. Do you know why? How can I avoid this and where can I see why this is happend?
    The armies are supplied by local markets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	attrition.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	584.1 KB 
ID:	363130

This is probably because of seasonal effects, check your province effects for that. Something like drought or hot summer.

Hi, I think most of all will agree than forum chain buildings in unwalled settlements are overall pretty lame. I've got an idea to boost one in particular, the hellenic Phrourion, which is supposed to represent a professional garrison but in fact only adds poor militia units. Would it be possible to convert these added units into professional ones?

I like to play historically and with hellenic factions try to simulate the behavior of Alexander successors installing garrisons in greek cities, but if it means (at most) one militia hoplite and one archer units, this is not only worthless but seems unrealistic.

My view is that Phrourion chain should provide up to two or (maybe) three professional hoplite units. I'd love to see this garrison consisting in the main professional unit of each faction (like Makedon Phalangites) but since garrisons provided by main city buildings are generic (and I still hate seeing greek phalangites garrisoning Pella) I asume this is impossible so generic hoplites would do the work.

DEI is in my view the only way to play Rome 2. Thanks again for all of your work.

I know there's another update in the works that I believe is expected to include some updates to Hellenic factions, but I couldn't find a summary of what might be included. I have a few suggestions / requests - please take them for whatever they are worth (which is nothing). Note, this is definitely a wish list!

1. Can you please look into separating the character names for the Successors, Dorian Greeks, and Athenian/Ionian Greeks so they are more representative? Right now they are all mixed together which leads to some ahistorical names cropping up in strange situations. (I tried to mod this myself, but I couldn't figure it out).

2. Can you please see about revising the Hellenic beard system so the very Lakedaimonian beard (shaved upper lip) is limited to the Dorian factions, and full beard / clean shaven is more common for the successors and Athens?

3. I would also love to see some differentiation between the more Hellenized Thracians and the Getae.

4. Please consider adding faction leader name to the diplomacy page (so you know the rulers of the surrounding states)

Thanks for all you do, and regardless of whether my suggestions are implemented, I look forward to my next play through! Please keep up the great work!

Hey guys! As always, thank you for the work you do, Rome 2 is insufferable without this mod.

As far as suggestions go, I've recently been playing a Hellenic League Campaign (started as Pergamon. Confederated later with Aetolia) trying to reform the empire of Alexander. I have subjugated Pontos, The Seleukids, Egypt, Mada, Parthia, and Athens and done my best to levy units from these clients in a way that reflects where each army (I have five mega armies operating between Massilia and Italy in the east, all the way to Ekbatana, Hagra, and Alexandria in the east. Lots of Thessalian cavalry for those armies marching around the European part of my empire, lots of Cataphracts and Heavy Archers in the east. Pontic & Seleukid thorax phalangites also supplement my eastern armies, while Mecenary Pikemen from Attika and others trained in Ephesos supplement my western armies). Constructing these compositions has given the game a great flavour, and has been most enjoyable. The hard part, the one I think could use a change, is a possible system that lets you levy particular units at will. I basically had to park an army-less general in my client's land for like 10 turns before I got the units I actually wanted to use...so it can get a little frustrating waiting in a game of chance for those cataphracts or ellies you want to eventually pitch up. Ancient rulers had this option, so I'm guessing it would still be in line with the historic aims of DEI, perhaps only influenced by availability/manpower and or lvl of training. Granted its possible, it could be a great change to 1.2! Let me know what you guys think...

terciperix's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

I don't like the way the replenishment system works in the game. Events such as wet summer shouldn't block replenishment.

I also don't like the fact you have to wait one turn to get your replenishment working while the AI seems to be replenishing all the time and creating units while ignoring pop restrictions.

Otherwise many thanks for the time and investment put into the game. The rest is very nice and close to what players expected from Rome II when they saw the first trailer.
    Last edited by terciperix; December 09, 2020 at 10:53 AM.

can we raze settlement and reset the religion of it ? i raze the settle but they still have 80% religion,not like rome 1

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

you could do something (via a complex script) but it won't work really fine, it will just rebalance % among the existing cultures
    so... it would be useless

Hi all. Apologies if it was asked somewhere recently. I would like to begin a Rise of the Republic Roman letsplay and was wondering how 'DeI-sed' is this DLC atm? is it worth starting a campaign now? Christmas holiday is about to start and i will have a bit of free time on my hands (hopefully). also what would the recommended difficulty level be?
    thanks in advance.

Senator

Missile Knockback?

I started to play after a long pause, with 1.2.6, and I see a partly massive knockback from missiles, like arrows or javelins. In one test battle with the gastraphetes unit, the targeted soldiers sometimes were pushed back several meters and fell to the ground, as if hit by a car. I don't like knockback effects fom projectiles or small explosions in video games, as they all are highly unrealistic, as it is here.

I would like to remove it or tone it down. Could you give a hint where the knockback effect is located in the files?

Is there any mod or a way to limit possible alliances to 2 for player and AI factions? Played a grand campaign with Athens and it was quite easy after allying with strong powers. Another campaign Rise of Republic with Rome allied to Tarchuna, Sabines, Taras whole peninsula is hold by our block or allied factions of my allies.
    It's not enough challenge with powerful alliances, since weaker nations tend to join them eagerly.

Patrician

@sarkiss
    hey man, long time no see
    ror campaign is just adapted to dei systems, i wouldn't personally advice a planned letsplay tbh
    give it a try and judge it yourself

@rus

yes there is but you'll need to script it

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @sarkiss
    hey man, long time no see
    ror campaign is just adapted to dei systems, i wouldn't personally advice a planned letsplay tbh
    give it a try and judge it yourself

@rus

yes there is but you'll need to script it
    much appreciated Jake, and new avatar looks great, thank you

Hello, frist of all I would like to point out that you did a really amazing work with that mod. The game with it is a whole new and - what is the most important - better experience. Of course, as anyone I also have my own expectations about a course of campaign (currently as a Rome). After about 150 turns (2 TPY) there only left a few superpowers e.g. Arvenii who took almost all Spain, south and central Galia, Iceni who took north Galia and probably something more, Scytia who took all Balkans and become my neighbour. On the other hand some factions who should play a bigger role was completely destroyed - as Selecuid Empire or Macedonia. It's a nice idea to force player to struggle with other super powers in the late game but for me it's became too fast (and I really wanted to fight with Macedonians and Seleucids). It is not about being too hard but really destroy immersion for me, because I like to slow pace campaign (please do not confuse it with the number of turns per year) and with that attiude I will not be able to fight with some nations because they simply won't surive for that long.

Having all that in mind I would like to ask you which tables (especially) I should edit to achieve abovementioned results, i.e. slower expanding AI and stronger major factions as Carthage, Egipt, Seleucia, Partia, Macedonia. By the way - I intend to play with 1 TPY and I would like to know if there is something more than research and construction time (and maybe replenishment speed) which I should to edit to keep campaign balanced?

I would be really grateful for help.

Patrician

if you're a turtle guy try by using testudo (read the threads listed inside first spoiler too)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upd-aug-09-20

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    if you're a turtle guy try by using testudo (read the threads listed inside first spoiler too)
    https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...-upd-aug-09-20
    Unfortunately it is not exacly what I'm looking for. As I mentioned I want to play 1 TPY and that's mean about 300 turns for campaign (and I don't intend to conquer all map) so I don't need to reduce DEI AI expansionism that much. I am amateur in modding but I spent a lot hours digging in empire total war/rome total war II db tables so I am aware it's not that simple to fully achieve desired effect but still I would be very grateful for some advice.

By the way - I have already studied descriptions of your submods. When I tried to find a way to fix the influence thrid party bug I discovered discussion on that matter in PIGS thread. You was investigating that bug but haven't found a way to fix it so its present also in DEI. Reducing number of turns in campaign is the most efficent way to control it, because its appears after a number of turns and if until then you reduced third party influence it's take a lot of time to regain it (but you have to be rather passive and no take to many political actions).

Started a new Egypt campaign around Christmas and was immediately reminded why I have so many hours in this mod. Maybe it's just coincidence, but did the amount and variety of General outfits increase? Absolutely love me some golden laurel around a helmet.
    The only gripe: Was there a particular historical/balancing based reason behind making my boy Ptolemy II Philadelphus such an incompetent oaf?

Is it possible to completely disable or a least somehow to reduce chance for reinforcing fleet by land armies from the sea during the city assault? It leads to very confusing battles, because cavalry starts battle from the land and the rest enemy forces from the sea. Another problem is attacking fleets by land armies on the sea which ends in - lets call it - ramming feast. I assume that probably game doesn't distinguish situations when land army attack from the land and attack from the sea, because than adding some kind of penalty to the latter probably would be enough to convince AI that it's a not good idea at all.