Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Any idea when the rosters for Rise of the Republic will be updated. Just need Rome to have some sword units or some more heavy auxiliary infantry.

Hey. First of all, I have to say is that, despite my gripe, this is a awesome mod (Love the advanced economics and recruitment system)

I'm currently playing as Sparta on normal difficult level and the A! can always afford a larger Army than I could. I tried to figure out why and I discovered some strange things.
    1. They always have about 3000 to 4000 income per village, while I have 1300-1800. When i conquered the village, the income suddenly drops to 1300. Wtf, why that?
    2. The AI has much lower maintenance costs for their armys. For instance, I have to pay 182 each month for a light missle cavalry. They have to pay only 112 for the same troop. Since I'm in the early stages of the game and did quite some research in military, they can't have better military tech than I have.

It's quite stupid. I had Sparta and Athenai and I couln't have a full army stack, while Knossos and Rhodos have 2 full armys each. Additionally, they have a decent navy and 20 Units as a garrision... Yea, unless I develop rifles or such , I have no chanche to beat them (18 Spartan units vs. ~70 Units of them) Furthermore, I had to attack a city when i attacked Knossos (this is only a village), while i got only my village to defend sparta against them.

Well, maybe there is a sence behind this and somebody can explain it to me.

A humble request from one of the most ardent admirers of the DeI mod.

After I build a weaponsmith in a region, I can upgrade my troops situated anywhere in my empire.
    After I build an armourer in a region, I can upgrade my troops situated anywhere in my empire.
    After I build a stable (I can't recall the name exactly) in a region, I must bring my army to a specific province, containing a region with a stable, in order to upgrade my horsemen. Can bonuses for better charge and better speed for horsemen be made accessible from anywhere in my empire, like bonuses for armor and weapons?

Quote Originally Posted by nightdragger View Post
    I'm currently playing on normal difficult level and the A! can always afford a larger Army than I could. I tried to figure out why and I discovered some strange things.
    It's due to limitations of AI. In any Total War game AI is stupid. To be of any challenge to human player it must cheat. AI navy also doesn't suffer from attrition. Even if game animations say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabbin_Megroin View Post
    But should I not see an immediate change to income after promoting somebody? Because currently I do not. Maybe the changes come into affect in the next turn perhaps?
    Some data, like food display, is updated after you re-select a character (a spy), or a region, or a province.
    Some data (like total income) is recalculated only at the end of the turn. This said, you can immediately see increased income effect from Army put into Patrol stance, for example. Or Dignitary put into Administration stance.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; July 09, 2019 at 06:12 AM. Reason: Merged posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    It's due to limitations of AI. In any Total War game AI is stupid. To be of any challenge to human player it must cheat. AI navy also doesn't suffer from attrition. Even if game animations say otherwise.
    Okay. Yea, this is reasonable.
    But I have to admit, that I'm not very good in this game. To be honest, I consider myself as barly better than a AI... Yes, I'm a noob. Is there a way to reduce the amount of AI-cheating? Maybe play the game in easy instead of normal or edit the mod files
    (I have already looked at them a bit to handle the AI. Suddenly, I found a treasure on the beach with some money in it )

For me, DeI is the way "Total War: Rome 2" is meant to be played. I play it on Normal difficulty and it gives me enough challenge, yet not enough to introduce frustration. Games are meant to be fun. I have other challenges in my life to overcome.
    In DeI, I still have to constantly deal with food shortages, banditry, happiness and enemies poking my empire for soft spots they can bite into. And now half-game into my current Kartli campaign, I still can't steamroll my opponents. Unlike "Total War: Shogun 2", for example.
    I can tell for sure, that beginning of this campaign definitely was a survival game. Much more exciting than Shogun 2. At this stage of a game everybody tries to become bigger only to avoid being eaten up by bigger fish. I had some hard times. But I managed to survive and then expand, devouring my former allies in the process. I have created said allies by liberating regions to create a buffer zone between me and bigger and more hungry empires.

Playing as Rome, after building the Ager Publicus chain, the Medicus or Municipium buildings do not appear as options in one of my towns (Genua). They do appear as normal in other towns (Arretium for example).

I'm not using any mods I'd suspect to interfere (Age of Hellenism, Cultural Tensio, various visual mods).

https://imgur.com/a/V5JJhPy

Semisalis

Some considerations about skills, traits and ancillaries:
    1)I've noticed that I get an abundance of "civilian advisor" but very few "military advisor" even if I'm using generals only for battles and not for governing cities. Could use some more "military advisors" good for admirals too.
    2)Since only factionwide effects work for politicians what about adding more ancillaries with such effects and political effects too, like increased loyalty, increase/decrease party influence. This way thay could be useful. This could be done for some skill trees too.
    3)It seems that I get more ancillaries for the "civil adivsor" slot than for the "equipment" and "military advisor" slot. Why is that so?
    4)What about adding more skill choices that are good for admirals. right now there is only one viable choice in the red skill tree.
    5)Most of the times agents spawn with really weird skills for their inteded job, like "agriculturalist" for a spy. Is this because of the CA skill/ancillary bug or is this inteded? It would be nice to have skills related to the purpose of the agent.
    6)Agents again, this time ancillaries instead. I'm only getting "pet snake" and "watch dogs" for the "equipment" slot and very few ancillaries for the "civil advisor" slot, while nothing at all for the "miliatry advisor" slot. Bad luck again? Can we get more useful ancillaries, possibily tied to the different agents?
    Last edited by Goffredo85; June 23, 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Ancillaries are linked to conditions and dice rolls, that's why sometimes you get always the same, sometimes not
    Most of the equipment ancs are linked to battles with low probability to get them
    Agents' (and females') skills are the same of the generals (if I'm not wrong). This would need quite a lot of work to separate them

Dresden checked the entire anc script recently, I don't think a new version will be done soon.

some formation questions about romans

late triarii - are they supposed to have testudo?

"disciplined formation" it says adds defense but lowers attack. it doenst actually lower attack... at least not in visible stats, it also adds a huge amount of armor +30 and some bonus against every unit type. tested it and its really powerful. essentially turns a hastati into a principle. is this intentional or bug?

I'm not sure about the triarii, but I think that might be an error where they received testudo to replace the block formation that was in one of the previous versions. I think the buffs on the disciplined formation are intended, since the formation due to game mechanics means quite a nerf, also I think the attack rating thing is related to an ui bug, but I'm not sure on that one. @Kam will know more I'm sure.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes, disciplined formation on its own makes unit much weaker, hence buffs are applied to make it usable at all.

As for late Triarii, why they would not be able to have testudo? From what I read long time ago, Romans first made contact with formation like it before game even started and later adopted own version.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

I don't think having testudo is out of the question, but as far as I can see they are literally the only polybian unit that has it (including the Praetorians Scipio).

Patrician

Hmm I thought I gave it to all Polybian troops. If not, I will fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Hmm I thought I gave it to all Polybian troops. If not, I will fix it.
    even one unit having testudo in polybian period is really huge for soaking javelins, usually end up fighting numidians and thier mass'ed javelins pre-marian.
    testudo is just so damn good in general

as far as historical accuracy, the polybian troops may have had varying degrees of battle experience but didn't train together in cohesion like the legions , so a formation that requires such cohesion?
    didn't do any research just random conjecture

as far as desciplined formation, it does seem to boost the units power quite a bit , its just immobile and if u change formations after engaging u lose alot of men.
    it feels alot like a roman hoplite kinda thing

Patrician

Polybian troops had great cohesion, possibly even higher in some cases like veterans of Punic Wars. Testudo qas in use defo during Macedonian Wars so I do need to add ir back to Polybian dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Polybian troops had great cohesion, possibly even higher in some cases like veterans of Punic Wars. Testudo qas in use defo during Macedonian Wars so I do need to add ir back to Polybian dudes.
    cool, another thing: javelin ammo on melee infantry starts at 1, then with some combination of research and general abilities that increase ammo they get rounded up to 2. is this intentional? its quite a big power jump

Patrician

I thought we got rid of it long time ago. We will need to check again.

Quote Originally Posted by DC0 View Post
    For me, DeI is the way "Total War: Rome 2" is meant to be played. I play it on Normal difficulty and it gives me enough challenge, yet not enough to introduce frustration. Games are meant to be fun. I have other challenges in my life to overcome.
    In DeI, I still have to constantly deal with food shortages, banditry, happiness and enemies poking my empire for soft spots they can bite into. And now half-game into my current Kartli campaign, I still can't steamroll my opponents. Unlike "Total War: Shogun 2", for example.
    I can tell for sure, that beginning of this campaign definitely was a survival game. Much more exciting than Shogun 2. At this stage of a game everybody tries to become bigger only to avoid being eaten up by bigger fish. I had some hard times. But I managed to survive and then expand, devouring my former allies in the process. I have created said allies by liberating regions to create a buffer zone between me and bigger and more hungry empires.
    I know. I think the difficulty of this mod is the best feature. Steamrolling the enemie is boring. But I'm trapped since 100 Turns, not able to conquer anything due to the cheating AI. I think it would be great, if you could choose to turn some advantages off. Again, not everybody is an expert in Total war, and for Noobs like me it's impossible to do anything when you have 17 units while the enemie can field up to 50 units. So I can just sit around and wait for the enemie to come... This isn't a survival ether, I'm just feeling like a trapped animal, waiting to be slaughtered.

Patrician

Actually you can do it Just subscribe to our official softcore submod, once it gets easier, you can disable it again.

Hi. Hi.
    play with 30 units in the stack, before that was all right, now there were bugs, there were 10 meals, I'm boiling down to 6, the move goes further and already 0. In general, we analyzed it for a long time, it's because of the units.