Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

No, it's just a flat buff/debuff, increased by each building type/level that adds to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    No, it's just a flat buff/debuff, increased by each building type/level that adds to it.
    Ah what a shame. But thanks for the quick response.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Hadhod View Post
    Can the DEI team influence names for children being born to certain factions or is that hardcoded? A lot of names seem strangely spelled or inappropriate cause they were rare in ancient history (e.g. Agave, Eurydemon [sounds like a spelling mistake], Simonides, Hero, Giorgius [latin ending?], etc for the Antigonids).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    @ Hadhod
    "Can the DEI team influence names for children being born to certain factions or is that hardcoded? A lot of names seem strangely spelled or inappropriate cause they were rare in ancient history (e.g. Agave, Eurydemon [sounds like a spelling mistake], Simonides, Hero, Giorgius [latin ending?], etc for the Antigonids)."
    Good point, usually, for TW games, they are into local texts and should be moddable/erasable. I'll have a look.
    It's possible AFAIK. I believe I have seen a similar conversation about it.

Is there a way to nerf AI money somehow? It feels unfair when a 1 region faction can field more than two full stacks and a navy and are still considered "strong" economic wise.

Example: Knossos
    1 region with 3600 wealth. Their armies and fleets combined cost them 7800. That seems very excessive especially since the bonus for being a small Imperium is already included in the wealth pool of the province. This is more than double their actual wealth...

Senator

This is a great mod in almost all ways except one. It costs too much to recruit units (even with the reduced costs and upkeep mod)and starting income is too low, resulting in historically major powers like Carthage and Rome not being able to field the number of troops they actually did. (Hundreds of thousands in the case of the Romans during the war ended at Telamon , and the first and Second punic war, with the Carthaginians also having likel well over 100,000 men in the field at one time (Hannibal left Nova Carthago with 90,000 men, leaving at least 20,000 in Spain - and there must have been more in Africa plus the fleet). The Roman army size was maintained through the 18 years of the Second Punic War.

In terms of gameplay it's also frustrating to have everything else historically accurate and then find this game that lets you have 20 to 60 units on each side in a battle has been modded so you can't even have one full stack of decent troops any more without going bankrupt and everyone starving to death.

I do not mean this as an attack on the mod - it's still a big improvement on vanilla in almost every other way imaginable and i know a lot of work must have gone into making it and keeping it updated with the seemingly endless DLC,s patches and game updates. Thanks to everyone who made it. I mean this as constructive criticism, not as a "this is a terrible mod" - it's not , it's great in most ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    This is a great mod in almost all ways except one.......................
    What you are commenting on is a repeat of many, genuinely innocent, queries over nearly 50 years of wargaming to my personal knowledge and several years more that I only read about!

It's that tricky area between what is (often still just perceived as history is riddled with problems) 'actual reality' and what designers want and need to put into a 'fair game'. It affects such things as 'unit sizes', 'scale' and the mathematical models used to simulate the actual 'cut & thrust'.

Specifically in what you are noting above - unit cost vs the game's economy is a way of limiting what the player can do to correspondingly give the AI a chance and thus provide the player with a more challenging experience. In simple terms it's all to do with 'game balance'.

I could go on.....
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    What you are commenting on is a repeat of many, genuinely innocent, queries over nearly 50 years of wargaming to my personal knowledge and several years more that I only read about!

It's that tricky area between what is (often still just perceived as history is riddled with problems) 'actual reality' and what designers want and need to put into a 'fair game'. It affects such things as 'unit sizes', 'scale' and the mathematical models used to simulate the actual 'cut & thrust'.

Specifically in what you are noting above - unit cost vs the game's economy is a way of limiting what the player can do to correspondingly give the AI a chance and thus provide the player with a more challenging experience. In simple terms it's all to do with 'game balance'.

I could go on.....
    Since if recruitment costs were lower and income higher the AI could have bigger armies - and more of them too - the same as the player, i don't see why restricting army sizes and numbers so much makes the game more challenging - it just means neither the AI nor the player can recruit armies of the size the game allows for. And allowing more and larger armies would be both more fun to play and more historically accurate

EDITED:: If there's going to be a supply system how about having buildings already built at the start for at least the major playable factions that act as supply depots and also have them with enough food producing buildings to provide enough food at the start. Having to wait 6 turns to build a supply depot building or a building that lets you recruit baggage trains at the start of the game is pretty dull.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 14, 2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Merged posts.

What you're asking for would essentially turn the game into an endless and frustrating stream of 40 v 40 battles, which are barely manageable in-game as is. This is no more accurate to reality than the current system; possibility less so, as pre-modern conflicts in general were decided by a few decisive set-piece encounters rather than lots of large inconsequential skirmishes. I've played lots of TW mods that had their endgame ruined by stack spam and I'm very happy the DEI team has largely avoided it.
    Last edited by Icarus Smicarus; October 23, 2018 at 02:03 PM.

The AI already gets upkeep and recruitment reductions as well as income boosts.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Smicarus View Post
    What you're asking for would essentially turn the game into an endless and frustrating stream of 40 v 40 battles, which are barely manageable in-game as is. This is no more accurate to reality than the current system; possibility less so, as pre-modern conflicts in general were decided by a few decisive set-piece encounters rather than lots of large inconsequential skirmishes. I've played lots of TW mods that had their endgame ruined by stack spam and I'm very happy the DEI team has largely avoided it.
    I agree that wars were decided by a few big battles - but the AI tends to bring as many stacks as possible to a battle in Rome II and Attila, and can only have as many stacks as it has generals, so you do tend to get big battles rather than the endless annoying 1 stack vs 1 stack battle spam there was in Rome 1 and mods of it - and it'd still take it a long time to recruit more.
    Last edited by Dunadd; October 23, 2018 at 02:34 PM.

Correct if I'm wrong but isn't there still a unit limit on the battle map, each faction only brings in 40 units to a battle right? If that's the case more stacks would essentially boil down to really long battles as reinforcements seep in rather than having more units on the field at a time. You're right it wouldn't be as bad as in the older games with 20v20 but I think a submod would be the best idea if you enjoy those sort of engagements.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Smicarus View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong but isn't there still a unit limit on the battle map, each faction only brings in 40 units to a battle right? If that's the case more stacks would essentially boil down to really long battles as reinforcements seep in rather than having more units on the field at a time. You're right it wouldn't be as bad as in the older games with 20v20 but I think a submod would be the best idea if you enjoy those sort of engagements.
    Not sure - i've played more Attila than Rome II - but you could well be right - there did seem to be units appeared out of nowhere late in the battle in one Attila battle when i'd routed all the ones that were there at the start.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadd View Post
    This is a great mod in almost all ways except one. It costs too much to recruit units (even with the reduced costs and upkeep mod)and starting income is too low, resulting in historically major powers like Carthage and Rome not being able to field the number of troops they actually did. (Hundreds of thousands in the case of the Romans during the war ended at Telamon , and the first and Second punic war, with the Carthaginians also having likel well over 100,000 men in the field at one time (Hannibal left Nova Carthago with 90,000 men, leaving at least 20,000 in Spain - and there must have been more in Africa plus the fleet). The Roman army size was maintained through the 18 years of the Second Punic War.

In terms of gameplay it's also frustrating to have everything else historically accurate and then find this game that lets you have 20 to 60 units on each side in a battle has been modded so you can't even have one full stack of decent troops any more without going bankrupt and everyone starving to death.

I do not mean this as an attack on the mod - it's still a big improvement on vanilla in almost every other way imaginable and i know a lot of work must have gone into making it and keeping it updated with the seemingly endless DLC,s patches and game updates. Thanks to everyone who made it. I mean this as constructive criticism, not as a "this is a terrible mod" - it's not , it's great in most ways.
    What you are proposing here would make the game totally unplayable for the vast majority of players due to hardware limitations - or poor game design. Already in the battles 2 stacks vs 2 stacks you can see much reduced performance. And I would rather play the battle of 5000 vs 5000 with nicely-done models, textures and animations than the battle of 25000 vs 25000 with 2D squares running all over, as we used to have in Medieval 1.

Not to mention that Rome II has a hardcoded limit of 4 gb ram usage as far as I'm aware.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Sorry to say. But most of the points made here just shows a simple lack of understanding in how the game engine works and how to play the mod. Most often the ones who complain about a bad economy is people who are not good enough to maintain their economy.
    The major factions already get massive bonuses and are not influenced by the supply system the same way as the player. Smaller factions get a much lower bonus which is tied to their imperium level.
    While all observations and potential game changing requests are more than welcome you are inclined to at least know the game and the mod well enough before posting these kinds of statements.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

It is possible to create New Traits for parties? I think it will be more interesting to have more diversity.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Think it might be possible but I've never tried adding them. Both scripts (for values and assignments) and db tabs are moddable, so maybe an hypothetical addition too.
    For sure it is possible to mod the existing ones. There are 31 so they are not few, btw.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by seleukos99 View Post
    What you are proposing here would make the game totally unplayable for the vast majority of players due to hardware limitations - or poor game design. Already in the battles 2 stacks vs 2 stacks you can see much reduced performance. And I would rather play the battle of 5000 vs 5000 with nicely-done models, textures and animations than the battle of 25000 vs 25000 with 2D squares running all over, as we used to have in Medieval 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Not to mention that Rome II has a hardcoded limit of 4 gb ram usage as far as I'm aware.
    Correct
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; October 25, 2018 at 04:10 AM.

suras333's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Think it might be possible but I've never tried adding them. Both scripts (for values and assignments) and db tabs are moddable, so maybe an hypothetical addition too.
    For sure it is possible to mod the existing ones. There are 31 so they are not few, btw.
    In fact there are only 23 including 8 Hates/Likes - not so much diversity in my opinion.
    Anyway, an ideea for the future

I have noticed navies are given little love. As Rome only one general skill boosts naval combat, and rank boni only affect land units. Is this purposedly designed to reflect that Romans weren't that good at seafaring? Or is this true for all other factions? In either case, I think admirals deserve a little more love, at least one dedicated skill tree.