Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Semisalis

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

With the recent changes to the agricultural income it would be wise to change the fishing village income from "maritime commerce" to "farming(agriculture)" as it has been done for the ports fishing chain. This would be better from a consistency point of view and it would make it easier to specializes such regions. Another great thing to do would be give an agricultural income boosting temple chain to those factions that do not have one already.

Does the bot have an army tradition?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

most probably yes

Semisalis

Scorpions placed on ships seems to be fairly inaccurate and with a shorter range compared to the land versions. Actually they rarely seem to have any impact at all during an engagement. Things are made even worse by the fact that fleets usually close distance immediatly after battle starts. Can something be done about this?

Hello and health to all! When translating the Divide et Impera mod for Russian-speaking fans of the Total Var series of games, I found that the __Unit_Names_AOR table contains the name of the unit "Keltohellenikoi Thorakitai" ("land_units_onscreen_name_AOR_11_celto_hellenic_infantry"), I realized that this unit is a heavily armed warrior. But in the historical descriptions for it ("unit_description_historical_texts_text_aor_11_celto_hellenic_infantry_tooltip"), the following text is given - "Thureophoroi were a new class of Hellenic infantry...". Is this correct, or just a mistake? Maybe it was necessary to assign a text for the Thorakitai - "The Thorakitai represents the second evolution of the concept of the Thureophoroi, and show definite influence from the Roman..."? Or should the unit be called "Keltohellenikoi Pezoi"? Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Probably a mistake in the description. I think that unit unlocks in the thorax reforms, so should be described as thorakitai.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustusng View Post
    Probably a mistake in the description. I think that unit unlocks in the thorax reforms, so should be described as thorakitai.
    I also think that the error in the historical description and in the next update of the mod it will be fixed.

Good day, is there a 100% way to remove the abuzz population?If you quickly click when hiring units without a population, they are hired and the population line indicates - 500 out of 1. I would like that there would be no such abuzz.

What is the general advice to avoid civil war?

Demosthenes26's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Goffredo85 View Post
    Scorpions placed on ships seems to be fairly inaccurate and with a shorter range compared to the land versions. Actually they rarely seem to have any impact at all during an engagement. Things are made even worse by the fact that fleets usually close distance immediatly after battle starts. Can something be done about this?
    Well some tweaks may be worth looking into, but its also important to think about their purpose in combat. Personally I've found them to be most deadly when ships are either boarding or close to each other for extended periods of time, which matches with what sources we have suggesting their use. Many people seem to have this perception that naval artillery was supposed to decide the engagement, rather than merely soften up or help disable the enemy. The decisive factor in all recorded engagements was generally the ram, sometimes boarding (less often than people tend to assume, usually Romans using boarding assistance tech like the Harpax or Corvus. Boarding was used in engagements among greeks, but usually to capture a few ships which were already disabled and had heavy casualties). Though there are some kiting tactics that can be pulled off with nimble missile ships, I would not expect sitting at a distance and deciding the battle with scorpions alone to be a viable strategy. Maybe Pila are a good comparison - they can do damage and play a role in the battle, but you should expect the gladius (ram) to decide the battle.

The other thing is that any artillery on a moving platform shooting at a moving object is going to be less accurate than the same artillery on a stable platform. That being said I can take a look at the spread, range, accuracy etc of shipboard scorpions and see if maybe they are too far off from land based ones.

Athens Resurgent - Athens overhaul submod for DEI: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...n-amp-Overhaul
    DEI Naval Combat Guide: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...l-Combat-Guide

Semisalis

I agree with everything you've said. Never thought that an engagement should be resolved from a distance with artillery. But in the short span of time in which both fleets close distance before ramming/boarding the scorpions are of almost no impact. One thing would be removing the flaming shot, as i do not think that such artillery was used to set enemy ships on fire. Or am i wrong? Besides they usually aim for the marines on board so i think that managing to actually set a ship on fire with them in game is almost impossible.

Is there any way to make Roman auxiliaries faction-wide, that is, recruitable in every province as long as you have an Aux Barracks in the right province? I've seen that some of the units' descriptions mention units being deployed in provinces far away from the place they were recruited.
    Also, to balance it out, off-province units could have a recruitment time penalty and/or a cost increase for when they're recruited outside of the province the army is located in...
    Last edited by cachulfaian; October 01, 2020 at 08:00 PM.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

That would be a bit hard to implement from scripting point of view as script would need to calculate each unit based on where they are located or create few hundreds of unit copies with different cost/recruitment time, which is not cost efficient for the feature.

Other issue is that your recruitment screen would be messed up as you would have roughly 150+ units in recruit window in each province. A lot of Aux units were stationed in far away places but it was not permanent thing and they would often move from place to place.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Greetings to the DeI mod team,

I have recently started a new campaign with Carthage (the Hannonid dynasty) on normal difficulty. The mod runs just fine and I must say I'm very satisfied with Your achievements . Obviously a civil war started and all my Iberian and Numidian provinces rebelled against me (with 3 fully prepared armies vs my leader). Despite their superior forces, I was able to crush the rebels (however I did not regain Iberia - the northern tribes conquered the coast). I've decided to utterly destroy the remaining opposition in the "senate" by assassinating all political rivals. As a result my influence reached 100 %, accompanied by a 20 % troop morale penalty and -12 to public order faction wide. Two new political parties emerged, reaching 30 % of influence over time (but I still had 100% influence !!!). Eventually I was forced to maintain internal stability to prevent further uprisings, so any expansion was beyond consideration. It seems that once your political power becomes absolute, it can not diminish. Can this issue be fixed ?

The civil war system is a hardcoded part of vanilla, not really part of the mod exactly. I have never heard of someone having 100% while other factions exist with a %. That sounds like a game bug, I am not sure.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Hi all,

When playing as Ardiaei the last technology in the Warrior Code tree is Illyrian Spirit. One of the effects is "-12% upkeep cost for lower tier/levy units."

My question is: what the EXACT units in question?

The thing is, I kind of want to roleplay around this, make an army of cheap "raider" units, and then make them good (and cheap) via buffs from the Warrior Code. But first I need to know which units exactly should I recruit for this... And the game UI is nowhere near explicit enough so I can recognize those buffs from there.

Thanks in advance.

Dankvart's Avatar Foederatus

Hello everyone,

First of all my deepest thanks to the DeI dev team for your immense work! I just started exploring this mod, but it definitely brings a lot of depth and variety to the otherwise arcade and boring gameplay of RTW2.

Furthermore, I would like to thank you for adding more playable factions, especially the choices given for Germanic tribes, and for being so generous with adding awesome faction units. I had a great pleasure trying the grand campaign as Cimbri and appreciate how their roster is different in form and spirit from that one of Suebi.

In this regard, I have a question: is there any chance that Heruskoz will be added to the playable factions list? I long to play for them more than any other Germanic faction, since they have quite a place in history - after all, Arminius himself was cheruskan. Yet, even in Augustus campaign they are forlorn in favour of Marcomanni...

Also, thank you for being so informative and responsive in this forum. I've learned a lot about ranged mechanics after KAM's explanations, which is very convenient since I like to use archers and, to lesser extent, javelinmen (the latter are much harder to micromanage in heat of the battle for the proper hit&run outcome). This raises my next question. If kills do not reflect the efficiency of the missile units, how would you recommend to evaluate it? Without seeing that invisible health bar how can I tell if enemy unit is actually being hurt by my archers, or if I am just wasting ammo on an unsuitable target?

Finally, I have a question which I mistakenly added to my questions about AE submod, even though it belongs here:
    Is there any meaning or mechanics behind the classification of units into light/medium/heavy or is it just for flavour/descriptiveness? Because I've noticed that Kimbroz Dugunthis (spelled as ŠugunŽiz) which in description is translated as 'Cimbri Heavy Spearmen', is classified as Light Spear Infantry (round icon) even though it's better than, for example, Eburonae Lugoae (armour 15 vs 10, weapon damage 24 vs 20, penetration 4 vs 3 etc).
    Similarly, Swebozian Gazafulkan Frijato (WD 20 AP 3 Arm 1) is Medium Spear Infantry while more expensive Kwadoz Dugunthiz (WD 22 AP 4 Arm 1) is Light Spear. What adds even more confusion, Frammanoz which I somehow acquired as Sweboz with nearly the same base stats (1 point less melee def) as Gazafulkan Frijato also counts as Medium, while Kimbroz Frammanoz with the same stats (but different looks) counts as Light.

So I wonder if it actually affects something or is just an unimportant oversight due to the incredible variety of units.

Thank you for your time!

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Hello,

I saw in the notes that there were special traits added to horses, but I cannot find exactly what's special about each of them. Specifically, what trait do the Nisean Horses have? Is this info in-game? Finally, Does this apply to all Parthian Cavalry (except camels) or just specific units?

Quote Originally Posted by yocheco619 View Post
    Hello,

I saw in the notes that there were special traits added to horses, but I cannot find exactly what's special about each of them. Specifically, what trait do the Nisean Horses have? Is this info in-game? Finally, Does this apply to all Parthian Cavalry (except camels) or just specific units?
    If a unit has a special horse type, it shows up where their controls are in the UI, where their formations, stamina, etc. are.

Quote Originally Posted by Falco View Post
    If a unit has a special horse type, it shows up where their controls are in the UI, where their formations, stamina, etc. are.
    Thanks, found it. It doesn't really go into details though. It says Nisean are stronger and larger, but do you know if there is any comparison table between the horses of everyone?