Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

I was checking the roster for Baktria again, and have to ask, are thorax swords the only thorax reform unit they receive? I don't see the thorax versions of anything else in there to be honest.

Question: Does the AI use the manpower rules?

Quote Originally Posted by CadetNewb View Post
    I was checking the roster for Baktria again, and have to ask, are thorax swords the only thorax reform unit they receive? I don't see the thorax versions of anything else in there to be honest.
    Although not thorax, they get some really good cavalry as well. But I agree, some thorax pikes or hoplites would be nice to have.

Well, besides the thorax pikes and hoplites, some spears for anchoring the flanks would also be pretty nice. Right now, it looks like they only have Thureos Spears at most.

Hey cachulfaian, replying here to avoid necroposting. Armenia/Hyak uses global greek reforms rather than having their own triggers. As such, your suspicion is correct that it's fixed by turns and there are no technologies you need to research. Your game isn't bugged. You can see the reforms guide here: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...es-and-FAQ#R04

Hope that helps.

I second the question about AI and new manpower rules. Just have to know, if there is point to try starving of men Rome (already without actual Rome) by pushing it further from Italy into newly conquered by Romans territories, or they would anyway never surrender and make an epic comeback a bit later, if I leave them alone.

AI uses population system but is not restricted by it. So you’ll see the population decline, but it will not hamper their recruitment and therefore there is no way to win a war of attrition.

As an aside, I’d highly recommend KAM’s alternative economy submod. Because unit recruitment costs are much higher, I’ve found that a war of attrition leads the AI to eventually rely on levies. It makes it a viable strategy and really improves the authenticity of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    AI uses population system but is not restricted by it. So you’ll see the population decline, but it will not hamper their recruitment and therefore there is no way to win a war of attrition.
    dang that sucks. i'll have to check out the submod for my next campaign

Why do the spartan throax hoplites are missing red capes?
    https://imgur.com/a/uZp9GW5
    It seems a bit unfitting to me and the lower tiers look better, more like a unit, to me.
    The missing capes are probably not alone the main reason, rather the multi-colour diversity (e.g. the blue stripes at clothing, which are also different).
    To my opinion they look like missing a unity.
    It would be different, if the shields would be more similar, or the uniforms, or at least all have the same armour.
    Or all would have the same helm (feather) shape, as the unit roster image suggest.
    The unit roster image even shows a small cape at the shoulders.

Does anyone know which faction in general campaign gets the real Gastae? The ones with the fear trait and extra javelins? Also is it different in the Caesar in Gaul campaign? I’m thinking of playing Arverni but want to be able to confederate and get at least a couple of those guys.

Dago Red's Avatar Primicerius
    "Great is the guilt of an unnecessary war" ~John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Remodor View Post
    Why do the spartan throax hoplites are missing red capes?
    https://imgur.com/a/uZp9GW5
    It seems a bit unfitting to me and the lower tiers look better, more like a unit, to me.
    The missing capes are probably not alone the main reason, rather the multi-colour diversity (e.g. the blue stripes at clothing, which are also different).
    To my opinion they look like missing a unity.
    It would be different, if the shields would be more similar, or the uniforms, or at least all have the same armour.
    I don't know about the red capes, especially since your pictures clearly show red capes on the units labeled thorax. This is too confusing to address.

But on your other point - you're asking for vanilla clone units in a game that strives for some historical accuracy. Please realize units all looked the same in older games, only because the game engines only supported one model type in a unit, until Medieval TW II, and then only a little variety. The newer warscape engines (crap as they are) are capable of depicting more men in a unit, with more realistic arms, armor, and clothing variety as was -- and still is -- in real life. Even lazy CA had a bunch of variety within each unit, though they only scratched the surface. These shield designs, clothing, and armor you're seeing in DEI now aren't just made up, they come from real depictions that existed, or inspired directly from real items.

And don't follow Hollywood's example. Very few movies show any kind of historical accuracy when it comes to the Greek & Roman world. It's too expensive and the average person doesn't care about it one bit. If we made a WWII movie with depictions that bad it would be laughed out of the theaters, but no one knows about this "ancient" history period enough to know they're seeing a cartoonish depiction in most cases (though Oliver Stone does a good job, even Alexander was limited in scope of the arms and armor for the army as a whole).

Also, it's clear your graphics settings are in the mid-range or low, the unit details themselves are very low. You're not even seeing all the uniqueness and detail on every man.

Quote Originally Posted by nhvanputten View Post
    Does anyone know which faction in general campaign gets the real Gastae? The ones with the fear trait and extra javelins? Also is it different in the Caesar in Gaul campaign? I’m thinking of playing Arverni but want to be able to confederate and get at least a couple of those guys.
    As far as I know, the gallic celts and the ones in the Balkans, not the ones in Cisalpania.

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red View Post
    I don't know about the red capes, especially since your pictures clearly show red capes on the units labeled thorax. This is too confusing to address.
    Thank you for the nice explaining reply.
    I meant the capes are at the roster image, but the actual unit ingame is not wearing capes, besides the two guys in the back at picture 4.
    To verify what i mean, just start a quick battle and look at the Thorax hoplites. They are only wearing like a red skirt (or how you would call it) and an armor above. While the other spartan hoplites are wearing a red cape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    As far as I know, the gallic celts and the ones in the Balkans, not the ones in Cisalpania.
    Wait, is it all of the Gallic Celts? I thought they were unique to one tribe. In the Hannibal at the Gates campaign I just found the Volcae have them - that's it I've seen in my current campaign. Thanks!

Bento's Avatar Tiro

Regarding Pirates - shouldn't they be at war with everyone ?

A stack spawned during my civil war ( playing as Carthage ), sailed past a Roman fleet and commenced raiding near my coast. Next turn the Romans assaulted my town ... and the Pirates, being nearby, joined in as if they were allied.

Pirates are an interesting addition, but having them effectively allied to everyone other than the player just makes them an annoyance, especially given how dementedly determined your neighbours are to kill rebel stacks on land.

I think pirates often sold their allegiance or protection to other states, so it's not that ahistorical I think :p.

Pirates start at war with specific factions depending on their spawn locations I believe.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

I wanted to ask, why would something like say Thorax Spears be used over Thorax Swords? Cav isn't as dangerous as it is later on in history, and the spears aren't as effective against other infantry.
    Last edited by CadetNewb; September 01, 2019 at 08:55 PM.

Dead*Man*Wilson's Avatar Campidoctor

Well, cavalry is still a threat on the field and spearman are always going to be your best countermeasure--especially on the flanks protecting missile units. Plus spearmen are typically better at holding defensive positions and taking hits.

At most, I've only had just a small handful of spears to anchor the flanks, but right now I'm contemplating how a mainline of non-phalanx spears would work. My current guess is that I should have them be standing still so they have the bracing bonus against the initial enemy charge, and after that wears off, give them attack orders to take advantage of their Expert Charge Defense and higher-than-average melee defense. My main concern is that their attack typically isn't all that good, and I suspect I have to somehow goad the enemy to come to me for the best results. Does this seem right, or should I simply have them charge in? I'm not certain if this is optimal, or under which circumstances Expert Charge Defense is active.