Thread: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests

Default Re: [Feedback] Questions, Critiques and Requests for 1.2

Not a dev, but I think the focus right now is the alexander scenario and the GC. DEI now covers the GC, CiG, IA, HatG, Alexander scenario, RotR, and the macedonian wars scenario. They’re kinda spread thin as it is, I wouldn’t get my hopes up for anything urgently tbh.

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

all units that uses pike phalanx behavior (or probalby every special formation) can't use missile weapons - the AI cannot handle it if i remember correclty. i tried it with roman legionaries in formation with pilums - no way...

Well, there's the light hoplites that don't use the formation, the Rhodian Ekdromoi that he mentioned are already such a unit, so they could use missiles, hypothetically.
    Last edited by Dardo21; January 15, 2020 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Well, there's the light hoplites that don't use the formation, the Rhodian Ekdromoi that he mentioned are already such a unit, so they could use missiles, hypothetically.
    Macedonian light hoplites in the Alexander campaign already throw javelins.

Hey guys, I might have a suggestion

it's something that has always bugged me when it comes to celtic and especially germanic factions: most of them seem to only have brown, black and grey haired people in all of their units.
    I went through all the units in a custom battle and the Sweboz don't have any blonde people at all - not a single one! (The Kimbroz do have at least some and I think britannic factions do have them as well, so there are some exceptions)

So actually it should be exactly the opposite to what is the case concerning the Sweboz faction (and all other gaul and germanic factions). Most of the celtic and germanic people would be blonde and red haired, some of them would have brown hair and maybe here and there would be someone with black hair. Celtic and germanic tribes have always been depicted as blond throughout history by various sources, greek and roman alike (although the germanic tribes were depicted as even blonder, so the Sweboz would definitely have to be mostly fair-haired). Making them look like that in the game would be far more historically accurate and create some diversity considering that every other culture is dark haired anyway...

Cheers

About battle difficulty. I know it is advised for DEI to keep it at Normal, but near mid-late campaign AI still often falls behind in terms of technological advancement and battles even with similar army strength can become quite trivial.

In vanilla a lot of people tone down BAI difficulty to Normal in the beggining, but ramping it up as they progress, to keep AI from becoming complete pushovers. But it still leads to ridiculous sitations, where stat boosted AI militia can sometimes beat your elite units.

I didn't try any other battle difficulty than Normal in DEI (CAI is usually Hard, rarely VH if I feel masochistic or play very easy faction), but I'd like to know if ramping up BAI difficultty for DEI could have bad consequences later on, or anything weird happeing maybe?

As a sidenote, giving AI flat bonuses isn't bad idea, talking about vanilla BAI, but bonuses are still way too big, leading to silly scenarious I mentioned above, and making early game quite painful. What I'm trying to find out is if there are any mods or methods to give AI less stat boosts with difficulty increase to feel more balanced? Not to be forced to meddle with BAI slider during campaign?

Also checked diffuclty related files with PFM, didn't understood what to do with them, because ones supposed to be responsible for difficulty stat boosts are blank... Unmoddable?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Battle difficulty is not possible to mod.

If it works like in later titles, it is not flat stat bonus but % bonus.

So this means that for late game, having a hard difficulty would not imbalance things as much since your units are buffed too from perks.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Battle difficulty is not possible to mod.

If it works like in later titles, it is not flat stat bonus but % bonus.

So this means that for late game, having a hard difficulty would not imbalance things as much since your units are buffed too from perks.
    That means raising it during campaign with DEI is fine? Won't have any issues?

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

if you want I can adapt a timeline script I did for testudo where effects change (meaning that maluses increases) depending on turn pace.
    it works for strat effects too (food, growth, money) but I can do it so to affect battle stats only.
    Basically the perks you get by levelling are "nullified" by penalties growing in time.

you can change the battle difficulty whenever you want, it is just officially adviced not to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    if you want I can adapt a timeline script I did for testudo where effects change (meaning that maluses increases) depending on turn pace.
    it works for strat effects too (food, growth, money) but I can do it so to affect battle stats only.
    Basically the perks you get by levelling are "nullified" by penalties growing in time.

you can change the battle difficulty whenever you want, it is just officially adviced not to do that.
    Thanks for the offer, but that'd be too big of a hassle to make I think, because there are too many factors, like how am I advancing, what factions I play, what factions near me. I'm okay with switching difficulties manually when need arise, but just curious, why it adviced not to for DEI in general?

Patrician

DeI's gameplay is set for the "standard" player, it is better not to put too many/too specific features.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

For normal game it is not advised as in extreme cases you might see AI militia going toe to toe against your elites. This is less of an issue in the late game as your units have probably much better buffs than AI even with bonuses from battle difficulty.

As always, difficulty in TW games does not make AI smarter (Three Kingdoms is an exception), it just add to AI buffs.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Guess I'll just fiddle around with BAI difficulty when I start new Campaign, and if see anything funny, I'll try to report, heh.

One last thing, is the Grand Campaign only one recommended to play with DEI or some other campaigns work without issues as well? If yes, which ones?

Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal at the Gates are fully compatible and great campaigns with DeI. Macedonian Wars is a fully redone replacement for Wrath if Sparta, so that’s a compete DeI invention. But their masterpiece is the Alexander campaign that is available as a submod to replace to Augustus campaign.

So yes, lots, and they’re great.

Will it be possible in a future version to include the battle map of Rome with the kapitol in the Great Campaign ect? So that also there 2 battles for Rome must be fought?

You mean the battle map used in RoR? Perhaps that could be tied to the regular Roman capital building yes, Dresden will know more on that.

Patrician

I don't see anything for that in the codes... in battle ones neither
    How does it work?

?
    1) You siege Rome
    2) an AI army is spawned
    3) you fight the spawned army outside the city
    4) you're back to sieging
    ?

Or you'll simply have one battle after the other?

Wish something could be done about garrisons being so weak. The Greek mob unit is just horrid for the player and the AI. Even with a fortified city the garrison is pretty bad. I know this is about balancing issues, but why can't a fortified city contain a few good units from the actual faction rosters. Like Pergamon hoplites?
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Quote Originally Posted by stevehoos View Post
    Wish something could be done about garrisons being so weak. The Greek mob unit is just horrid for the player and the AI. Even with a fortified city the garrison is pretty bad. I know this is about balancing issues, but why can't a fortified city contain a few good units from the actual faction rosters. Like Pergamon hoplites?
    Damn dude, you might be thinking about all wrong if the hellenic garrison units are 'too weak' for you. They arguably get the best garrison roster in the mod, with hoplites and militia hoplites being excellent defensive units, especially in the face of the other garrison rosters. I would suggest thinking around the problem if you're putting the garrisons in situations they can't handle, or maybe thinking more tactically with the hoplies. Though, hoplite defensive tactics are pretty straightforward- just have them all form a phalanx at a chokepoint, preferably with a avenue to flank the AI with, and let the AI grind itself down ever so slowly.

Newly designed faction icons instead of default 'vanilla' ones ?