Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Risorgimento 1859 - The Franco-Austrian War

Default Re: Risorgimento 1859 - The Franco-Austrian War

...What I will do, is restyling France's units. I realize the capote's colour is wrong, as well as its length. All units could use better face textures and models as well. I'll need to change Sardinia's flag into the Kingdom's own flag too. To be frank, flag bearers are not a priority and they'd need to have their own squad anyway - detached from the regiment - and this is not possible. Consider that they would last a few seconds on the battlefield regardless since the accuracy has been increased quite a bit. You can easily add flag bearers youserlf modifying a few tables, no modelling needed. Takes up to 5 minutes, really. I'll probably detail how to do so in the future.
    My Mods and Projects

- Realism Core v5 for La Monteé de L'Empire 4.2 (NTW)
    - Battle Chaos, give life to your fights! (NTW)
    - Battleterrain Mod, larger, better campaign battle maps (NTW)
    - Developer for 1800 (ETW) battle mechanics, unit stats
    - Developer for Victoria Total War (ETW) unit modeller \ texturer
    - Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures
    - Risorgimento 1859 The Franco-Austrian War (NTW), creator \ developer

Sirlion will you change French army kepis so that they look more like those from American civil war, i.e. those of the French army in the middle of the 19th century (Crimea, Italy, Mexico, Franco-German war...)? I return to this mod regularly and await news.

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Sirlion View Post
    ...What I will do, is restyling France's units. I realize the capote's colour is wrong, as well as its length. All units could use better face textures and models as well. I'll need to change Sardinia's flag into the Kingdom's own flag too. To be frank, flag bearers are not a priority and they'd need to have their own squad anyway - detached from the regiment - and this is not possible. Consider that they would last a few seconds on the battlefield regardless since the accuracy has been increased quite a bit. You can easily add flag bearers youserlf modifying a few tables, no modelling needed. Takes up to 5 minutes, really. I'll probably detail how to do so in the future.
    Va bene, niente bandiere reggimentali, pazienza! Andṛ avanti spiegando che i miei screenshots nelle competizioni non vengono da una mod sulla guerra civile americana. Amen. almeno c'ho provato.
    (En. transl.: 'Ok then, no regimental falgs, no problem! I'll go on explaining that my screens in the competitions are not coming from some ACW Mod. Amen, at least I've tried.')

Would be nice to mod even in the Franco-Prussian War

Quote Originally Posted by +MementoMori+ View Post
    Would be nice to mod even in the Franco-Prussian War
    I agree. This is my favorite period.

Have you tried Victoria Total War yet? Germany will be added next. I've worked hard to deliver those units. France, Russia and Great Britain are already in.
    My Mods and Projects

- Developer of Rise of the Eagles (MTW2 - HOSTED), creator \ db \ models \ textures

Have you tried Victoria Total War yet? Germany will be added next. I've worked hard to deliver those units. France, Russia and Great Britain are already in.
    First of all - I like your settings and your insistence on full square formation and slowness of the march of units plus natural obstacles that additionally impede maneuver (like woods). Light infantry formations in skirmish formation with dispersed soldiers now have usage and sense. And thanks to advancements in rifling of the period can alone disperse any cavalry charge. Your implementation of that is masterful because in reality those things happened in this period. Also French line infantry often used skirmishing, like in Alma, or back to the revolutionary wars.

As for Victoria I have downloaded it but didn't played yet. My expectations are huge. One question - why did you choose ETW for Victoria TW and not NTW?

Quote Originally Posted by Gustav Mahler View Post
    First of all - I like your settings and your insistence on full square formation and slowness of the march of units plus natural obstacles that additionally impede maneuver (like woods). Light infantry formations in skirmish formation with dispersed soldiers now have usage and sense. And thanks to advancements in rifling of the period can alone disperse any cavalry charge. Your implementation of that is masterful because in reality those things happened in this period. Also French line infantry often used skirmishing, like in Alma, or back to the revolutionary wars.

As for Victoria I have downloaded it but didn't played yet. My expectations are huge. One question - why did you choose ETW for Victoria TW and not NTW?
    Haha, well dont put your expectations too high because I'm not the author of the battle mechanics (at least not yet) that would be Tango, who is also the head of the project, hence why "I" didnt choose NTW. If it were for me of course I would have chosen NTW which is better in every possible way, but the project wast started back in 2011 by Tango and a few others. For now my work is entirely on the unit models and some effects. I hope to be able to change the battle mechanics soon.

Thanks for the kind words, I always try to balance realism with gameplay. One should never overwhelm the other. This period was very tricky for me because I never did it before, Napoleonic Wars are really my primary home. But I'm not done with ETW yet either.

In the meantime, here's some screens of the improvements I'm making over the ugly old unit models I created back 2 years ago. I think the jump in quality is good enough. I am reworking all the roster.

My Mods and Projects

This looks very very good. Is my remark before that you might use kepis similar to American Civil War in French army a viable thing to implement? Because in reality French had those kepis before - back in Crimean war. Even Serbs, my people, used them in wars against Turks 1876-1878.

Yes I know. I have done some extensive research on the Crimean War recently and French soldiers used the capote and the kepi from 1838, discarded the old encumbering knapsack with heavy crossbelts as well. Smart choice I have to say, one if the earliest examples.

My Mods and Projects

Yes I know. I have done some extensive research on the Crimean War recently and French soldiers used the capote and the kepi from 1838, discarded the old encumbering knapsack with heavy crossbelts as well. Smart choice I have to say, one if the earliest examples.

Yes! This is way better and closer to reality. Modding is a tedious and unappreciated work and I salute you. I have additional remarks concerning the starting positions in this mod, you see Austrian, Sardinian and French infantry units have their numbers overblown. For instance Austrian line infantry has 330 men, while French Imperial Guard has 270. When you recruit them their numbers are normal but starting forces have huge numbers in their units. I modded your mod for my own purposes (adding 250 men for all infantry including light forces and all cavalry at 100, plus I made all units' upkeep twice as much) but I never ventured into modding of the startpos.

I play with huge numbers of men so maybe the startpos was affected. In any case "line infantry" in NTW is just an abstract concept. We cant create real chains of command or real companies. Just small battalions 1 vs 1 in the base game. So one can change them as he pleases, there is no real standard for unit numbers in game.
    Last edited by Sirlion; July 17, 2018 at 04:19 AM.
    My Mods and Projects

I have added the texts from the files to my user text which I have created as this is what it stated in the instructions if there isn’t already one.
    do I have to delete my preference script as the mod isn’t activated when I go into the game and attempt to play it ?
    ( I used the files media and main )

Preview of the new improved units

My Mods and Projects

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Flags? Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags?????????? Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaags????????????????????????????
    SIRLION TI AMO!!!

Update up!

- Balance fix for italian line infantry
    - Balance fix for austrian militia
    - Balance fix for unit turns to build, specific for light infantry
    - New models for a good portion of the armies
    - Adjusted kepis, shakos, officers, standard bearers
    - Brand new normal maps for a good portion of the armies
    - Fixed Generals Staff and Mob models showing up as default NTW models, replaced 3D models for autogenerated Generals

As always, the link is in the first post. Report issues here.
    Last edited by Sirlion; August 16, 2018 at 01:46 PM.
    My Mods and Projects

So I've put the three pack files in the main download into the data folder, then merged the folder from the campaigns file with my own campaigns file. I used the Mod Manager

I then clicked "Campaigns of the Coalition" on the main menu, chose a faction and then the game crashes.
    I've tried France, Austria and Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post
    So I've put the three pack files in the main download into the data folder, then merged the folder from the campaigns file with my own campaigns file. I used the Mod Manager

I then clicked "Campaigns of the Coalition" on the main menu, chose a faction and then the game crashes.
    I prefer the manual installation. You have to know your data folder - i.e. are there some other mods present. Also you need to check your scripts file.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzard View Post

Sorry I have no idea what the mod manager even does. Never ever used it, as I do everything manually. But yes as stated, check that you dont have some other mods installed somewhere or residual installations from Darthmod or NTW3.
    My Mods and Projects

Hey Guys, first of all thank you for this beautiful mod!
    SadlyI'm experiencing the same issues as Hazzard. May the reason be the fact that I have the steam library on the D: drive and the users folder in the C: one?
    I have read the installation guide and done as explained. Now I have erased all the data of Napoleon from both drives and will download it again.