Thread: Steam (of course)

Default Steam (of course)

Sorry if this has been asked and answered a million times already, but aside from the general Steam install directions, I can't find the answer.

Bought RTW Collection with the Alexander expansion on Steam just so I could play this mod. For some reason I can't install from the disks (which I also bought just for this mod), so I'm stuck with Steam.

The directions posted here are a little confusing to me, so I'll just post what I've done--Installed RTW and Alexander to a new folder "Games" on my C: drive (not Program Files or Program 86 as instructed). After I installed from steam to this file, both RTW and Alexander are in C:\Games\Steamapps\Common. It was my understanding that if a Steam game isn't in a Steam folder it won't work, so my question is--When I install RSIII to a new Folder (RSbeta) after copying all contents from the Alexander expansion, will it work? It will be under C:\ Games\Steamapps\Common\RSbeta along with RTW and original Alexander.

Have a feeling this is wrong, but I'm pretty new to Steam. Will it work if I copy the contents of Alexander into a folder outside of the Steamapps Folder and right onto my C: Drive??

Probably being dumb as hell, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Aringtoit; December 30, 2016 at 04:13 AM.

Agrippa19's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Steam (of course)

Personally for me I don't know why it is always recommended to not install in the program 86 file as I always do and I don't encounter any problems outside the normal occasional crash every 50 turns or so. But those crashes don't corrupt the file.

I don't have RS3 installed atm but from what I remember I installed it in Program Files (x86)/ steam/steamapps/common/ Rome Total War Alexander. RTW Alex is a different folder to RTW Gold. It worked okay for me. Once my internet connection is fixed I'm going to download RS3 again and try the installation. Should be fixed in about a week. The answer is in the forum somewhere and has been mentioned a few times, keep searching because it worked for me, I just forget the answer right now.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

I can help you with the discs if you have Win 7, if you have Win 10 it's a bit more complicated. I returned to Win 7 because I don't need the hassle of 10 and as for steam I don't use it for personal reasons and also for the fact it breaks mods because of CA updates to RTW. I've never had a problem with Win 7 + discs for ANY mod. Check out my youtube channel Let's Play to see it for yourself, I play RS III regularly with virtually no lag or ctd's ever & average 45-60 fps with the occasional dip below 30fps at 1920x1080x16 resolution on widescreen.I have 14 mods altogether on my PC, and I don't have a high end rig either.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; December 30, 2016 at 10:15 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Thanks, I'll give it a try Agrippa.

ST--I have Windows 10 unfortunately. The problem might be with my CD Drive or the disk. It installs the 1st did OK but can't seem to read the 2nd disk. Just keep getting the message "Please install Disc 2" although it's in the drive and I'm pressing OK over and over again. I'd have preferred the disks. Not crazy about Steam either. I will check out your channel, thanks. Wish someone would do a "How to install RSII with Steam" vid. The ones up now are for RSII and are unclear. Unfortunately, most use Steam now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a try Agrippa.

ST--I have Windows 10 unfortunately. The problem might be with my CD Drive or the disk. It installs the 1st did OK but can't seem to read the 2nd disk. Just keep getting the message "Please install Disc 2" although it's in the drive and I'm pressing OK over and over again. I'd have preferred the disks. Not crazy about Steam either. I will check out your channel, thanks. Wish someone would do a "How to install RSII with Steam" vid. The ones up now are for RSII and are unclear. Unfortunately, most use Steam now.
    Heres how you install it via Steam!

1.Move away the installation to the desktop (all files included)
    2.Set the installation to the desktop-files!
    3.Done!

IF DONE RIGHT, you can now play with Steam (Alex.exe)...
    Its because som weird Secure-Rom/DRM-Check behaviour, that is utterly crap,
    maybe its also som root-kit installed at the same time, so beware with Steam..

Nevertheless, Rome Gold is still available with Amazon, for a bargain.
    DV has done a remarkable job with RS3.1...

[QUOTE=romavictoria;15208276]Heres how you install it via Steam!

3.Done!

Thanks Roma. I have it installed now (it was a struggle). I might reinstall it your way though. Seems less complicated and more stable. I have to use the "RSII launcher" within the launcher Folder to run the game now. It launches RSIII in spite of its name though, and everything works fine so far. Haven't installed the 3.1 patch yet. Maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall it your way before I do.

Deleted
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; February 23, 2017 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Wrong post

Quote Originally Posted by Aringtoit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by romavictoria View Post
    Heres how you install it via Steam!

3.Done!

I have to use the "RSII launcher" within the launcher Folder to run the game now. It launches RSIII in spite of its name though, and everything works fine so far. Haven't installed the 3.1 patch yet. Maybe I'll uninstall and reinstall it your way before I do.
    You should be able to send a shortcut to desktop from there. That's what I have always done so as to get the correct target line. I then open the desktop icon, go to properties and change the icon to an RS one by browsing the directory

Icon6 Re: Steam (of course)

Quote Originally Posted by Saul Tyre View Post
    You should be able to send a shortcut to desktop from there. That's what I have always done so as to get the correct target line. I then open the desktop icon, go to properties and change the icon to an RS one by browsing the directory
    -That is doable, what is also fun is to making your own customable icons.

For example i use a icon-program to make my own RS3.1 icons (whens the next upgrade)...
    when o when+...????